Thread: McKinney

vCash

McKinney

Saw a tweet from MSTM that said the NFL Mock Draft had him going 17th overall in the 1st Round to the Cowboys. Really glad he came back. Hope his stock rises.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    A BIG bonus to get him back if he truly got a 1st to 2nd round grade from the NFL draft assessment feedback.

vCash
    I was extremely surprised when the season ended that he was being rated so well for the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he's a very strong player for us, but there were times this year where he missed easy tackles... the Kentucky game comes to mind. I think this was a great decision for him to return for at least one more year. He's primed to be an absolute stud next season with another off season.

vCash
    McKinney didn't have the year for us this year that he wanted/expected to... Look for him to go beast mode next year and leave MSU as a rsJR with a degree.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Barring something unforeseen, McKinney will leave next year as a 1st round pick. And as a funny reminder/side note, Denzel Nkemdiche was named All-SEC over B-Mac this year- courtesy of the brilliant SEC media.

I'd love to use him, Chris Jones, and P. Smith as rushers on 3rd downs. We could easily get pressure with three while dropping eight in coverage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    McKinney didn't have the year for us this year that he wanted/expected to... Look for him to go beast mode next year and leave MSU as a rsJR with a degree.
    I think that had more to do with the change in scheme, engie. Tackling numbers individually were down as a whole, but the number of guys in double digit tackles seemed to be way up. I think our new scheme under Collins leads to more guys making plays across the board, whereas for probably the last 20 years, we've run schemes that funnel everything to the LBs and they put up monster numbers. I think B-Mac will jump from about 70 tackles this past season to about 85 or 90 next season, but I don't look for him to break 100 like he did as a freshman.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I think that had more to do with the change in scheme, engie. Tackling numbers individually were down as a whole, but the number of guys in double digit tackles seemed to be way up. I think our new scheme under Collins leads to more guys making plays across the board, whereas for probably the last 20 years, we've run schemes that funnel everything to the LBs and they put up monster numbers. I think B-Mac will jump from about 70 tackles this past season to about 85 or 90 next season, but I don't look for him to break 100 like he did as a freshman.
    I agree- not to mention he split A LOT of time with Richie Brown.

Collins rotates LBs way more than we did under Wilson. I'm not sure if that's because we have more depth there now or if it's a schematic difference.

vCash
    It's to build depth.

We used this year to play alot of guys. The coaches knew we were young and rebuilding. They made it a point to get alot of guys involved and playing time. By the end of the year, we had a clear rotation. Some guys had played their way out, and some into more plays.

I dont think McKinney got a 1st round draft grade or he would have been gone. You dont risk that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's to build depth.

We used this year to play alot of guys. The coaches knew we were young and rebuilding. They made it a point to get alot of guys involved and playing time. By the end of the year, we had a clear rotation. Some guys had played their way out, and some into more plays.

I dont think McKinney got a 1st round draft grade or he would have been gone. You dont risk that.
    A friend of mind is a huge cowboys fan. He told me a week ago McKinney was projected 1st round to thd cowboys. That was from a cowboys website he was reading. I don't know if u can believe what he was reading though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    A friend of mind is a huge cowboys fan. He told me a week ago McKinney was projected 1st round to thd cowboys. That was from a cowboys website he was reading. I don't know if u can believe what he was reading though.
    but that's not actual NFL scouts doing it. I just dont see McKinney risking a couple million to come back
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    but that's not actual NFL scouts doing it. I just dont see McKinney risking a couple million to come back
    Yeah, probably just a fan blog or something. I couldn't imagine risking it either.

vCash
    He believes.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that was from a Bleacher Report post.

vCash
    Great that he's coming back. Big sacrifice. I hope the fans are appreciative, in the good times and the not so good.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, probably just a fan blog or something. I couldn't imagine risking it either.
    Fan blog, aka Jerry Jones' scouting department