Thread: Stunning News! Talty makes a relevant blog post!

vCash

Stunning News! Talty makes a relevant blog post!

NFL Draft 2013: Where did the players rank in recruiting rankings?

Posted on April 26, 2013

College football fans love to get excited when their program lands a highly-regarded four or five-star player. They dream of that playing dominating on the field for a few years before being drafted in the first round

But how often does it actually pan out that way? Let’s take a look at the the 2013 NFL Draft first round results

Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher was only ranked two stars coming out of high school, yet the Kansas City Chiefs took him with the first pick. Oklahoma offensive lineman Lane Johnson wasn’t ranked at all, but went No. 4 to the Philadelphia Eagles.

It wasn’t until Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner went to the New York Jets at No. 9 that a five-star player was taken in the first round. In total, five five-stars were taken in the first round, according to Rivals rankings.

In just a small sample size it shows us that despite all of the resources dedicated to evaluating and scouting prospects, players can still slip through the cracks. Another thing to consider is it’s impossible to fully predict what a player will do once he gets to college.

Johnson, for example, weighed 202-pounds and was a quarterback in high school. Now he weighs 300-plus and is a left tackle. How could anyone have predicted he’d put on 100-plus pounds and completely shift positions?

This year’s first round also shows that there is still a fairly high hit rate for a four-star or higher ranked prospect. 18 players four or five-star prospects were taken in the first round, with more expected in the second round.

Take a look below for each drafted player’s recruiting ranking, according to Rivals.com.

1. Kansas City: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    Ranking: Two stars

2. Jacksonville: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    Ranking: Four stars

3. Miami: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

4. Philadelphia: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    Ranking: Zero stars

5. Detroit: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    Ranking: Zero stars

6. Cleveland: Barkevious Mingo, LB, LSU

7. Arizona: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    Ranking: Three stars

8. St. Louis: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

9. New York Jets: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    Ranking: Five stars

10. Tennessee: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

11. San Diego: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

12. Oakland: DJ Hayden, CB, Houston

13. New York Jets: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

14. Carolina: Star Loutelelei, DT, Utah
    Ranking: Three stars (HS), three stars (JUCO)

15. New Orleans: Kenny Vaccarro, S, Texas

16. Buffalo: EJ Manual, QB, Florida State

17. Pittsburgh: Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia

18. San Francisco: Eric Reid, S, LSU

19. New York Giants: Justin Pugh, OL, Syracuse
    Ranking: Two stars

20. Chicago: Kyle Long, OL, Oregon

21. Cincinnati: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

22. Atlanta: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

23. Minnesota: Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida

24. Indianapolis: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

25. Minnesota: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

26. Green Bay: Datone Jones, DT, UCLA

27. Houston: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

28. Denver: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    Ranking: Zero stars (HS), three stars (JUCO)

29. Minnesota: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    Ranking: Zero stars (HS), Four stars (JUCO)

30. St. Louis: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

31. Dallas: Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin

32. Baltimore: Matt Elam, S, Florida

CONFERENCE

SEC – 12
    ACC – 6
    Pac-12 – 5
    Big 12 – 2
    Big East – 2
    Ind. – 2
    Big Ten – 1
    C-USA – 1
    MAC – 1

Star rating total:

Five-star: 5

Four-star: 13

Three-star: 10

Two-star: 2

Unranked: 2

vCash
    All this proves is stars matter. 80%+of all d1 players are 3 star or less. Yet 56% of the first rd are 4-5 stars. You do the math.

vCash
    Ol seems to be hardest to grade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    All this proves is stars matter. 80%+of all d1 players are 3 star or less. Yet 56% of the first rd are 4-5 stars. You do the math.
    Glad to see somebody else gets it.

vCash
    OL is impossible. Stars literally do not matter there. Everywhere else, they seem to. It has always been that way.

Why Blaine Clausell starts over a Damian Robinson.

Edit - We should do a msu star tracker. Slay was 2 star I think. Banks was 2 or 3 star. Bumphis and Boyd were 4 star and should be drafted.
    Think sherrod was 4 star.

Gabe Jackson was 2 or 3 star and is top guard for next year. Someone should set it up for the past 7 years when recruiting online really took offf
    Last edited by Esmerelda Villalobos; 04-27-2013 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    OL is impossible. Stars literally do not matter there. Everywhere else, they seem to. It has always been that way.

Why Blaine Clausell starts over a Damian Robinson.
    What do you look for in ol prospects then? They really are a crap shoot

vCash
    Im not expert on that. I dont think anyone is. I think a lot of it is more heart than intangables. Like Dillon Day. EVERYONE wanted to offer him but we didnt until late. He is a beast. Damian Robinson is a 5 star but isnt playing to that level yet. I think it is the only position that is more technique and work than any other on the gridiron. I mean, you can be a great WR but if you are 5'5 and run a 4.8, you wont cut it. The fat boys, I think there is just more to it.

I dont know. I'll leave that to the football guys. Just seems OL is tough to judge. Im more of a basketball guy since I played throughout my career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Msstate7 View Post
    What do you look for in ol prospects then? They really are a crap shoot
    Good feet! So I've been told. How to exactly evaluate that, I'm not really all that sure.

One thing I like to see is nastiness on the field. I saw that with Dillon Day, and I saw it with Devon Desper- and I think Desper would have been right up there with the rest of Madison Central's big time prospects if he had been healthy his junior year. People forget Desper played in the Under Armour game after his senior year.

I also like something Jackie Sherrill said about o-linemen- if they're not at least 6'3", they better be pretty be pretty awesome if you are going to give them a scholarship. (paraphrased)

vCash
    Id like to see these numbers going back about 15 years or so.....just to see which class got the most hype, which class was the biggest bust...sexiest class maybe? The most overhyped or biggest underdog....which underdog owned a dog...I need answers!!?!?.............ENGIE....ENGIE? Quickly, go get your calculator and compass and meet me in the ship yard next to the tire dock. You know the one.