Thread: The next time you get frustrated with Cohen's decisions, remember what Bianco.......

Banned
    vCash

The next time you get frustrated with Cohen's decisions, remember what Bianco.......

.....did last night.

On a 4 game winning streak, seemingly starting to hit their stride, on ESPNU at home, their potential MLB 1st round ace pitcher on the mound, playing a team on a 7 game losing streak and seeming going nowhere, media everywhere talking about their resurgence, Kentucky's star closer unavailable, Kentucky's pitching depleted from a 200 inning game two nights before.

What do they do?

Fans come out by the dozens, Bianco makes the genius decision to lift Wahl when he'd calmed down and retired like 39 batters after his bad start, Kentucky promptly rocks his replacement after Ole Miss got lucky when Kentucky's fielders tried to gift wrap the game. Ballgame. Ole Miss loses the only game of most 3 game SEC series vs. decent teams where they have a reasonable shot to win. Way to waste your stud, Mikey boy. Oh, and congrats, Rebel Nation, on your Thursday night support. Your 7,898 crowd was definitely on display tonight.

About as big of a regular season choke as I can remember.

vCash
    well, which is it? Bianco use to let pitchers go 147 pitches and everyone said he was ruining arms. If I was Bobby Wahl, I wouldnt throw over 100 pitches.

vCash
    Or how about recruit enough pitching depth that you don't have to throw a guy 150 pitches and you can still get outs late in a game? Not that I'm complaining since I am a MSU fan.

Bianco going all out to win may have helped him early in his career win some games, but it has hurt him in the long run.

Of course, he learned from the master at burning up arms- Skip Bertman. Difference is Skip could get away with it because there are always kids in Louisiana like Ben McDonald who are more than willing to burn up their million dollar arm for the Tigahhhs.

vCash
    When is the last time you recall a MSU pitcher going 130+ ? I don't think its happened in the Cohen era. Butch takes care of his pitchers arms very well.

Banned
    vCash
    He wasn't fatigued. He was still throwing gas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slickdawg View Post
    When is the last time you recall a MSU pitcher going 130+ ? I don't think its happened in the Cohen era. Butch takes care of his pitchers arms very well.
    we have had a couple of 130+ outings- but it hasnt been many
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Stratton threw 144 against tenn his fr year, super bulldog weekend. Just FYI. Pollo has topped 130 before. But it's not common.

vCash
    I remember Tyler Whitney throwing 150 against Tennessee in Cohen's first year. Stratton might have thrown 120 once. It doesn't happen very often- maybe once or twice a season at the most, if that.

Even Holder- we are using him a lot now, but we were very conservative at the beginning of the season with him so that we could use him more down the stretch.

vCash
    I remember Whitney's outing- it was 147 I believe
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Whitney threw about 140 pitches the week following that 147 pitch outing, too. Seems like he'd thrown 120 or so a week prior also. I remember being PISSED at Cohen for letting a guy throw so many pitches in a 3-week span.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I'm sure most college coaches stretch out pitchers to win games more than they consider the pitchers future.

vCash
    Bertman got away with it because nobody tested for steroids. Thy could have put their fences at 480 ft and lsu would have led the league in hrs.

That and the spring loaded grenade launchers we had for bats back then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I remember Tyler Whitney throwing 150 against Tennessee in Cohen's first year. Stratton might have thrown 120 once. It doesn't happen very often- maybe once or twice a season at the most, if that.

Even Holder- we are using him a lot now, but we were very conservative at the beginning of the season with him so that we could use him more down the stretch.
    There is no might to it, Stratton did on super Saturday when we beat tenn. Positive.

vCash
    I think the counted the attendance and then said X 2..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Bertman got away with it because nobody tested for steroids. Thy could have put their fences at 480 ft and lsu would have led the league in hrs.

That and the spring loaded grenade launchers we had for bats back then
    They certainly had a recipe for success. Get kamikazee coon ass pitchers that had MLB type talent and burn them out for good old L S U and shoot up the hitters with steroids and take advantage of the bats. I wish Polk did what they did to be honest with you. Bertman actually has a football background believe it or not- I think highly influenced his philosophy.