Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remaining Possible Recuits

vCash

Remaining Possible Recuits

I haven't been keeping as close an eye on recruiting this year, but was just wonder who remaining we had a legitiment shot at? Few names I hear or see on scout:

Humphrey
    Epps
    Shepard
    Posey

Anyone care to educate me on what the outlook is?

vCash
    Can't say I have followed it closely, but the only one of those I'd give us a shot of getting is Epps.

I do remember Tee Shepard naming us as his leader and saying that the atmosphere at the MSU-Bama game was the best he had encountered. However I don't think he has said much about us since the Egg Bowl....

vCash
    There's quite a few more:

Cory Thomas
    Darrion Hucherson
    Taylor Stallworth
    Grant Harris
    Jervontius Stallings

We have the chance to get every one of these 5 I listed. I noticed that Cory Thomas has only 2 January visits scheduled. One to us and one to Clemson. He had two November visits to UF and FSU but I'm not really sure they are in the picture. I really think we've got a good shot at him. Stallworth also only has 2 visits set up, to us and SC. I think we end up getting him.

Hutcherson is probably a back up signing day guy that we will take if we miss on some and Harris may be as well. Stallings is waiting for an OM offer which I know for a fact he would take if he got it. If not he's ours. We've got 7-9 very viable options from this point and to me Stallings, Thomas, and Stallworth are all severely underrated guys that we would be very good gets for us.

vCash
    Shepard went back to Cali and isn't coming back to Mississippi for JUCO in the spring. It seems like we have little to no chance of signing him now.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    As of today the most likely close would be Thomas, Stallings, Harris/Stallworth, Epps/Hutcherson, & maybe another athlete like JT Gray.

vCash
    Humphrey is coming to MSU with Leonard Fournette. Package deal.

We may need to make a sticky at the top of the board regarding Marlon Humphrey. He's not coming to State.

vCash
    I know we need lineman (both sides) and I hope we get some good ones, but I'd love to have a 6'7" TE like Hutcherson playing with Dak for a couple years. He's apparently a good blocking TE as well as catching, so I say take him if we can. Everybody has been raving about Epps since the MS/AL game, so he's got my interest, too. And I wouldn't mind us making room for an really good/physical athlete JT Gray, dude would be a no-brainer if we had more available spots. Unfortunately, we're mostly concerned with DL and OL.

vCash
    Rosebowl said this morning that there is talk of Bo Scarborough visiting.

vCash
    Stallings and Calhoun are going to surprise people. OL is the absolute worst position to project people at and contrary to popular belief, it is possible to sign 5 star OL that will do poorly in your system because they don't do the things necessary to make your offense go.

We evaluate high school OL very well. We've had our fair share of busts especially from JUCO, but the last couple of years we've hit home runs with OL. Gabe is solid, Day is solid, Malone will be solid, Clayborn is solid, Clausell has turned into a draftable OT (my God who ever thought we would say that). We turned Lawrence into a serviceable OT. You are going to miss on some, but just consider that every single OL I just listed was either a 2 or 3 star and the last two years we've had some of the cleanest QBs in the conference and have had a very dominant run game over that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Rosebowl said this morning that there is talk of Bo Scarborough visiting.
    If we want him as a RB, we'll probably get him.

vCash
    Since everybody is convinced that Humphrey is a lock for Bama, why hasn't he committed? His brother didn't go to Bama. I am still holding out hope that we get him. I just refuse to give up......and I hope Mullen refuses as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Since everybody is convinced that Humphrey is a lock for Bama, why hasn't he committed? His brother didn't go to Bama. I am still holding out hope that we get him. I just refuse to give up......and I hope Mullen refuses as well.
    My guess is he is trying to decide between Bama and FSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    As of today the most likely close would be Thomas, Stallings, Harris/Stallworth, Epps/Hutcherson, & maybe another athlete like JT Gray.
    I don't think Epps and Hutcherson are either/or. I think we would take both. I think we get Hutcherson and have a good chance at Epps.

vCash
    Bama people are starting to think Humphrey is FSU-bound...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree with this. With the interest he has shown in the past, i do think we could get him as a RB.

But if we do that, we run the risk of pissing off Aeris Williams and West Point. So, is Scarborough, his grade issues, and the fact that he would, according to Nick Saban, possibly playing out of position, worth pissing off Williams and potentially losing a pipeline at West Point?

I may be over reacting, but I think the West Point pipeline is more important than Scarborough, but I don't know all the factors.

This is where OM may have the advantage on us. They can more easily offer the RB position to him.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 12-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'd be all for this. We were his first offer and chased him hard for awhile -- although I haven't heard much since he committed to Bama. Have to think he'd fit perfectly in what we are trying to do from the RB position...

vCash
    Bo would destroy LBs out of our formations. Can y'all imagine teams having to risk putting one person in the running lanes against him? we pull Malcolm, kick out the end, hand it off on the read, and watch him put Denzel flat on his ass.

vCash
    Did his brother have an offer from Bama?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I agree with this. With the interest he has shown in the past, i do think we could get him as a RB.

But if we do that, we run the risk of pissing off Aeris Williams and West Point. So, is Scarborough, his grade issues, and the fact that he would, according to Nick Saban, possibly playing out of position, worth pissing off Williams and potentially losing a pipeline at West Point?

I may be over reacting, but I think the West Point pipeline is more important than Scarborough, but I don't know all the factors.

This is where OM may have the advantage on us. They can more easily offer the RB position to him.
    It could be delicate- but Aeries seems like a team first type player to me. I'll trust the coaches to handle that. Everyone plays two backs nowadays anyway.

I think we have an advantage on Scarbrough since he likes Dan and made it to the Big Dawg Camp. If he's reaching out to us- that tells me he would rather come to MSU than Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    Humphrey is coming to MSU with Leonard Fournette. Package deal.

I've heard this too.
    Happy Festivus