Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coaching turnover among our assistants

Banned
    vCash
    I think there will be zero changes. I wish we would hire a ST coach but we won't. We better pony up the dollars for all our defensive assistants. The development of our secondary by Townsend was very impressive. Turner has turned our Dline into a beast and Collins proved himself as the year progressed in a major way.

Banned
    vCash
    we had a heckuva ST when shane beemer was coaching them. He is a good recruiter too. Wish we could have kept him around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    This will probably sound very ignorant of me, but why does Sallach have to be kept around? If he's as mediocre enough to warrant the move in the first place, why did we move him back to TE coach after Brewster left instead of keeping him in the office and hiring a new assistant?
    My guess is at that point, it was easier for us to move him back for a year than to try to go get somebody else. Brewster fell in our laps late in the game, but usually if you're having to make a move like that after signing day, you're not going to end up with a stud AC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    we had a heckuva ST when shane beemer was coaching them. He is a good recruiter too. Wish we could have kept him around.
    Beamer couldnt stop laughing at Crooms long enough to stick around. Tells some great stories though
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Beamer couldnt stop laughing at Crooms long enough to stick around. Tells some great stories though
    I bet that's the truth.

vCash
    Does he coach TE's too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    He married a Mississippi girl. Hes not leaving his dad and va Tech though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    this is the first year ST have actually hurt us. We've never been exactly good or bad under Mullen.
    The South Carolina home game a few years ago sticks out in my mind as one where the missed field goal cost us a shot at that game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkaburningdawg View Post
    It would be nice to get the OC from EMCC. They only averaged about 63 points per game. Something must be working there.
    Not knocking Stephens but Marcus wood calls the plays. He's a good coach but he'll admit he has great players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonState View Post
    The South Carolina home game a few years ago sticks out in my mind as one where the missed field goal cost us a shot at that game.
    And LSU 2011 as well...

vCash
    Koenning is one of the better recruiters on this staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Koenning is one of the better recruiters on this staff.
    Other than Fred Ross (who had family connections at MSU with his cousin )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkaburningdawg View Post
    It would be nice to get the OC from EMCC. They only averaged about 63 points per game. Something must be working there.
    True, but they are fielding a Division 1 football team in JUCO. A lot like Jones in the late 90's, Pearl River in 2003-2005, and Gulf Coast most recently.

vCash
    Scooba's Starting DL will play on Sundays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    Also, Les works pretty cheap.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

Unless we decide to pony up big money for an OC, it would be stupid to get rid of Les. What he's responsible for he seems to be good at. Our qb's develop, we seem to execute on offense fairly well even if our play calling is atrocious at times, and it seems he's ok as a recruiter (I have no clue on this last part, just going on what has been said in this thread). I would like to have somebody help with our play calling, but that's probably a Mullen personality issue more than an OC issue, so I don't see why we'd give up what Les gives us to bring in an unknown. With what we pay, any good hire we make will be gone within a year or two max. Why give up the stability that Les brings when he seems to do pretty well at the things Mullen relies on him for?