Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
This it's been changing for several years with the portal, mlb draft cut in half, more very good player to go around for every one. Not like it was even 10 years ago.
MLB is evolving their minor league system. Lots of people think there is going to be another contraction of 30 teams or so in the near future even though MLB denies it. Also it seems like MLB is slowly buying up all of the teams in the minors. The Mississippi Braves are owned now by that group - Diamond Holdings I believe it's called. They also own the Memphis Redbirds now too for those that live that way. I believe that group owns 30 minor league teams now so that's roughly 1/4 of all minor league teams not including instructional league teams.

In the Deep South minor league baseball seems to be dying. The M-Braves are moving, the Shuckers draw worse than the M-Braves, the Redbirds aren't drawing well, and there aren't teams in New Orleans, Mobile, Baton Rouge, or Shreveport. Perhaps that's a narrow view because it seems like when I see minor league highlights there are empty seats all over the ballpark behind home plate.

It makes me wonder if MLB has decided to not to compete with college baseball in the Deep South? I also wonder (hope) if we will see a new independent minor league eventually emerge in the Deep South? That could be a good strategic move given how popular some players are when they are in college like Elijah MacNamee and Scotty Dubrule. Could also be a nice place for guys like say a Roy Oswalt to end their career or have a place to play to try to get back into MLB.