Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Game 3 Vandy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I know one thing we can all agree on, they pitched to Hines and he won it!

ETA I hope this weekend for the monkey off Hines back and he keeps raking! He keeps doing this he's a difference maker the rest of the way!
    The fact he's closed in on DJ's HR numbers is certainly promising, lol.

vCash
    I woulda pitched to Hines. Don't like putting the winning run on base and losing the platoon advantage also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Numerous scouts disagree w that premise. Said his swing was too long and liked him
    More on the mound. Now, w that said, I don't dislike him as a hitter. Just pointing out some things. He can help on both sides.
    About the same long lefty swing as Clark and Hines. You could say, about the same as Freddie Freeman. People used to say "sweet swing" in reference to LH power swing. Will Clark was pretty long too and WC hit for Average and Power.

I am not a lefty, but seems pretty typical raw lefty power swing. In the Youtube link, he looks more compact than he has appeared for us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAZX_747GQ

Just making a joke, but I see no "hitch" like Shotgun used to say about Rowdey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    About the same long lefty swing as Clark and Hines. You could say, about the same as Freddie Freeman. People used to say "sweet swing" in reference to LH power swing. Will Clark was pretty long too and WC hit for Average and Power.

I am not a lefty, but seems pretty typical raw lefty power swing. In the Youtube link, he looks more compact than he has appeared for us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAZX_747GQ

Just making a joke, but I see no "hitch" like Shotgun used to say about Rowdey.
    Someone said FF has a long swing? That dude is lightning quick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Someone said FF has a long swing? That dude is lightning quick
    Someone don't know baseball. Freeman has one of the most compact swings in the game. That barrel gets through the zone quick.

vCash
    Someone don't know baseball. Freeman has one of the most compact swings in the game. That barrel gets through the zone quick.
    I get it that FF is awesome, just saying the man is 6' 5" and that long body uncoils. It looks "long", but obviously it's smooth and fast.

That why Stevens at 6-4 has a similar appearance. Yes, he a collegian, is not a MLB all-star.

vCash
    Stevens has a bright future as a player here. He just needs to develop. I could definitely see him being a Team USA guy in 2025.

We don't do him very many favors when we put him in really tough situations.

That home run he gave up today was kind of BS. It looked like a pop up at first.

vCash
    I get it that FF is awesome, just saying the man is 6' 5" and that long body uncoils. It looks "long", but obviously it's smooth and fast.

That why Stevens at 6-4 has a similar appearance. Yes, he a collegian, is not a MLB all-star.
    I gotcha. Yeah I can get where it could look "long" but Freddie is really short and quick to the ball. But yeah he's a big tall dude for sure.

vCash
    Clark had 20-15 vision. He saw the inside of the baseball when it left the pitchers hand he was able to pick up rotation 40 feet from the plate in 1 second or less. There may be some great hitters nowadays in college. There ain't no Will Clarks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Stevens has a bright future as a player here. He just needs to develop. I could definitely see him being a Team USA guy in 2025.

That home run he gave up today was kind of BS. It looked like a pop up at first.
    Yeah when that ball was hit I thought great that's the second out and then it's gone. Wind must've been blowing out big time, because that ball just didn't look hit that well.

vCash
    I agree Todd- when the ball left the bat at the angle from TV my first thought was “please don’t let Trout and Dirtbag run into each other”

And then wowwwwwwww
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Even the guys calling the game thought it was going to be a routine fly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I agree Todd- when the ball left the bat at the angle from TV my first thought was “please don’t let Trout and Dirtbag run into each other”

And then wowwwwwwww
    The whistlers wind help that ball a lot!**

vCash
    I gotcha. Yeah I can get where it could look "long" but Freddie is really short and quick to the ball. But yeah he's a big tall dude for sure.
    The actual mechanics of the trigger and the swing through contact is compact and fast. I think it is the illusion created by their long arms getting full extension and "long" follow through. A lot of tall lefties (Freddie, Will, Griffey) give you that sweet, "long" swing.
    The funniest thing to me is how almost the exact same situation with a rightie just doesn't look as sweet. Think Dale Murphy. I was watching Condon this weekend. He doesn't have the low bat "Waggle" before getting set - but his stride and movement through the ball remind me of Murph's swing.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

We really need to limit Stevens to mid week pitching for now or at least if you're going to put him in, do it at home. He needs to build up some confidence. However, I'm in no way ready to write him off as a pitcher. Just think in the last 5 years the pitchers we've had that have made a jump from year to year. Cole Gordon couldn't get anyone out in 18 and no one could hit him in 19, Leibelt couldn't find the strike zone in 18 and was lights out in 19, Hardin would have a come apart on the mound last year and is now our dang closer. Stevens is a special talent and we really are going to need him next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The actual mechanics of the trigger and the swing through contact is compact and fast. I think it is the illusion created by their long arms getting full extension and "long" follow through. A lot of tall lefties (Freddie, Will, Griffey) give you that sweet, "long" swing.
    The funniest thing to me is how almost the exact same situation with a rightie just doesn't look as sweet. Think Dale Murphy. I was watching Condon this weekend. He doesn't have the low bat "Waggle" before getting set - but his stride and movement through the ball remind me of Murph's swing.
    Good stuff and you're right, Bruns! Yeah you never hear say a righty with a sweet swing lol! There was one righty who i used to love watching his swing and I studied and that was Edgar Martinez. That dude had a great swing and he could rake. That Condon is a beast!

vCash
    Good stuff and you're right, Bruns! Yeah you never hear say a righty with a sweet swing lol! There was one righty who i used to love watching his swing and I studied and that was Edgar Martinez. That dude had a great swing and he could rake. That Condon is a beast!
    A unique and fascinating tall lefty (6'-6") Darryl Strawberry. Not a 'great' hitter, but you don't get 17 MLB seasons without the tools. Slow-Mo, that's a "long swing". I wonder about DS with Barry Bonds juice, instead of the actual awful things he did to his body.

But as a Right-Handed Hitter myself, I wanted to be Gary Sheffield. That was a Righ-Handed Stud swing. Considered the fastest bat in the last 50 years.

vCash
    A unique and fascinating tall lefty (6'-6") Darryl Strawberry. Not a 'great' hitter, but you don't get 17 MLB seasons without the tools. Slow-Mo, that's a "long swing". I wonder about DS with Barry Bonds juice, instead of the actual awful things he did to his body.

But as a Right-Handed Hitter myself, I wanted to be Gary Sheffield. That was a Righ-Handed Stud swing. Considered the fastest bat in the last 50 years.

Man those are some really good finds! Strawberry had so much potential but the addictions turned what could've been a HOF career into just a good one. He did have a long stroke but man the bat speed was insane on that dude!

Sheffield swung a big bat and generated so much freaking bat speed and was comparatively speaking little guy at 5'11" 190 but so strong and compact! You would never teach anyone Sheffields approact but he sure as heck made it work and with all that power the most he ever struck out was 83 times in a season and that was at the end of his career. It seems like every ball he hit was a missle! I hated it when he left the Braves.

ETA Another thing about Sheffield is you wold think you could get him out by throwing soft away but that dude could cover the whole plate. If he was playing today with all the high velo guys throwing he might hit 60 hrs and hit balls to the moon!
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-29-2024 at 10:38 AM.

vCash

But as a Right-Handed Hitter myself, I wanted to be Gary Sheffield. That was a Right-Handed Stud swing. Considered the fastest bat in the last 50 years.
    Loved Sheff. His swing and approach always reminded me of my very first favorite Atlanta Brave - Gary Matthews. Sarge had quick hands like Sheff and could yank those inside pitches. His swing wasn't as violent as Sheff's. But, they both had bat "waggles" before getting set.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Loved Sheff. His swing and approach always reminded me of my very first favorite Atlanta Brave - Gary Matthews. Sarge had quick hands like Sheff and could yank those inside pitches. His swing wasn't as violent as Sheff's. But, they both had bat "waggles" before getting set.
    Boy you're taking me back in my memories now. The Sarge was very similar to Matthews but as you said not near as violent. You had to know a lot of pitchers were intimidated by Sheffield, dude was menacing at the plate with that bat waggle. It's so amazing to me that, Sheffield with all that violence in his swing didn't K hardly at all. Just an amazing hitter. Matthews was such a great teammate and player. Everyone loved the guy!