Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollis Porter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Is there another sport where the size of the playing surface is just....., whatever you feel like?
    lol true but with a lot of the jucos and other small schools generally it's becaue of limited space available for the park and they do the best they can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    A lot of juco fields are small though that's why so many hr numbers are inflated and then folks wonder why the kids don't crush in d1. Heck West Jones is 315 to left and right and 380 to center.
    Shit Holmes isnt. I probably hit 10 balls over my 2 years 380/385 feet that were just outs
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Shit Holmes isnt. I probably hit 10 balls over my 2 years 380/385 feet that were just outs
    It's one of the few lol. Holmes is a big park.

vCash
    I guess you had "warning track power"* LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    That's hilarious!

vCash
    Do you or someone you know suffer from warning-track-power? If so call the office of Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe. You may be entitled to compensation.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    hahaha- in our park? Yep

vCash
    hahaha- in our park? Yep
    It's ok 34, I was a Punch and Judy hitter. Lotta line drive singles and could run, great glove though.. No power though.

vCash
    Should have gone to Pearl River.**

vCash
    PRCC has these type hr hitters every year, and very few pan out at higher levels. I can think of several over the last few years. Tate Parker, Graham Crawford, Dexter Jordan, Von Siebert, and i could go on. park is a band box, smaller than most hs fields, add in it's also juco pitching. Now Porter maybe a stud but you can't base on hitting hrs at prccc.
    Reminds me of a guy that played for us from Tupelo named Reed Hawkins I think. He played at MSU under McMahon for a year and didn't do much and then goes to Itawamba CC and hits like 23 home runs or something ridiculous. Gets offered out of JUCO by MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU and ends up at Ole Miss and then he completely fell off the face of the Earth. I don't even think he made Ole Miss's team out of the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Reminds me of a guy that played for us from Tupelo named Reed Hawkins I think. He played at MSU under McMahon for a year and didn't do much and then goes to Itawamba CC and hits like 23 home runs or something ridiculous. Gets offered out of JUCO by MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU and ends up at Ole Miss and then he completely fell off the face of the Earth. I don't even think he made Ole Miss's team out of the fall.
    There's so many that looks like babe ruth in juco and then flame out. Remember Gunnar Halter? Led the nation in hrs in juco, came here and couldn't hit his weight. Juco in the past has been rampant with phd use as well and then the guys get to d1 and have to get clean and it hurts their power.

vCash
    It's ok 34, I was a Punch and Judy hitter. Lotta line drive singles and could run, great glove though.. No power though.
    You sound like me except replace 'Lotta' with 'Occasional'. LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    You sound like me except replace 'Lotta' with 'Occasional'. LOL
    lol we really should all get together one day and just shoot the bull. Would be interesting and fun!

vCash
    Juco in the past has been rampant with phd use as well and then the guys get to d1 and have to get clean and it hurts their power.
    That is a really good point, and a definite possibility.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Should have gone to Pearl River.**
    lol- no kidding.

I was actually supposed to go to East Central. Coach Clark (RIP) had called me and offered. Until then- Holmes didnt have a real program. They let football guys and whomever play. My damn Freshman year they decide to actually have a program. Hired a tri-athlete as coach and we built that baseball field. Coaching was awful. Really sucked not getting to go to EC and play for Coach Clark. He had been friends with my Dad and coached against him. I homered against them at EC and he grabbed me after the game and said- "damnnn son I tried" and we both laughed.

vCash
    Sometimes a Diamond is found in a small ballpark. Like a guy who played at Copiah Academy a few years back hitting homers over a 310 left field fence because there were trees directly behind it that apparently couldn't be cut down to curve the fence. That guy played 3 years at State and hit some prodigious homers. Turned out to be what they refer to as a 5 tool player. Still a journeyman outfielder in the majors last I heard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Sometimes a Diamond is found in a small ballpark. Like a guy who played at Copiah Academy a few years back hitting homers over a 310 left field fence because there were trees directly behind it that apparently couldn't be cut down to curve the fence. That guy played 3 years at State and hit some prodigious homers. Turned out to be what they refer to as a 5 tool player. Still a journeyman outfielder in the majors last I heard.
    That “diamond” was pretty well known. I watched him one hop it to the football field at Magnolia Heights in the state championship his senior year. With the roll he hit it 450 ft. It was the only time we pitched to him the entire series.