Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Breakdown

vCash

Weekend Breakdown

Let's look at our weekend records this season.

Friday- State is 7-2 on Friday nights. We have been tough here. Really could be 9-0 but the bullpen couldnt get it done

Saturday? Achilles hell. 4-5 on Saturdays. Got to improve here.

Sunday? 6-3 on Sunday's this year. Very solid

Moving SP's up after losing Dome has certainly thrown a monkey wrench into things- but one thing stands out- we are hell on Friday. Thats a big deal in SEC success. Parker has to figure out the bullpen and Sunday in the back half of SEC play. Keep rocking on Friday and let's get it done down the stretch.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We really need another starter. Dohm is hurt, Loftin is MIA, Ligon hasn’t been the guy, Siary hasn’t been the guy. I would kill for a guy who could consistently give us 4-5 innings on Sunday while allowing 2-3 earned runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    We really need another starter. Dohm is hurt, Loftin is MIA, Ligon hasn’t been the guy, Siary hasn’t been the guy. I would kill for a guy who could consistently give us 4-5 innings on Sunday while allowing 2-3 earned runs.
    He needs to try Nolan Stevens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think I would do this, I would like to see him gets some plate experience also.

vCash
    Agree. Siary is a pitcher that you put in when you are up 8 runs or down 8 runs.

vCash
    The Friday record rings slightly differently when you realize 4 of the 7 wins were non-conference. So we are just 3-2 on Fridays in SEC play.

Weird way to break it down.

vCash
    The glaring stat, is our losses in SEC play are due to not closing out the end of games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The Friday record rings slightly differently when you realize 4 of the 7 wins were non-conference. So we are just 3-2 on Fridays in SEC play.

Weird way to break it down.
    Not weird at all

We are 3-2 on Friday in the SEC with a game vs A&M that could have gone either way and a blown save to Fla. Either way- we've been really good on Fridays this season

vCash
    Other stats:
    infield collisions?
    Baserunning mistakes
    and blown leads in the last 2 innings.

But the biggest I really am interested in , is strikeouts (lack of contact) when we have a runner on third and 1 or less outs.

vCash
    The eye test says it all with this staff, sometimes its just best to cut bait and move on. Fact is I don't think we can hire anyone any worse, but I hope Lemonis finishes strong and makes a run in the tourney. I'm just not seeing it, most on ED see what I see...."what the ........heck are we doing! Bottom line and if you disagree then you don't know baseball, we shouldn't be in this situation, 25-50. As the great John McEnroe once stated "You got to be kidding"! No excuse to be 25-50 and hoping we make the top 64 team tourney, that ain't Msu baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Other stats:
    infield collisions?
    Baserunning mistakes
    and blown leads in the last 2 innings.

But the biggest I really am interested in , is strikeouts (lack of contact) when we have a runner on third and 1 or less outs.
    https://www.secsports.com/2024-baseball-stats-pdf

They have a website that tells you alot of these things. We are 6th in the SEC in K's at the plate- so top half of the conference at not striking out

vCash
    Certainly if we had a Landon Sims type closer it would cover up a lot of mistakes but the main reason we don't win is we are a 'sloppy' baseball team. Been put in another thread that's it's about the little things that we screw up that don't matter in decisive games but get you beat 9 out of 10 times in close games. It's baserunning blunders, late game fielding errors, walks and hit by pitches at the wrong time, strikeouts in key situations that are non-productive outs and on and on. We don't perform when the chips are down and that is why we don't win close games. May not show up in overall stats buts it's very obvious when you watch us play. Choke factor is high with this team when the pressure is on and we don't perform the fundamentals in those situations. I think that flows down from leadership or lack thereof from Lemonis.

vCash
    SEC West is down.
    Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss.
    Bama is above their average somewhat.
    But this is a year of a down SEC West.

Florida struggling in the East, and other than TN and maybe the Vandy and Kentucky teams, there is little on that side to be scared of.

This is when we should take advantage and we can't.
    That is the stats I know.
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-16-2024 at 11:23 AM.

vCash
    Use him like Pilkington in 2016. Pilk was awesome as a 9 to 12-out freshman. Or as mid-relief after MSU survives 2 innings from Ligon and/or Siary. Its all hands on deck Sunday when you don't have a 3rd starter.

Looking at NS' High School stats he only pitched 39 innings in 9 appearances, seems like 4 inning outings were his routine. He was a starter as a Sophomore but was not a Starter later. More middle relief and his accolades are based on hitting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    SEC West is down.
    Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss.
    Bama is above their average somewhat.
    But this is a year of a down SEC West.

Florida struggling in the East, and other than TN and maybe the Vandy and Kentucky teams, there is little on that side to be scared of.

This is when we should take advantage and we can't.
    That is the stats I know.
    We actually lucked up this year. I mean if there was ever a year to miss KY this was it. We also miss TN and SC from the East who are both solid teams. Really the only difference in our record and OMs record is we won 2 of 3 from GA at home while they got swept by KY at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Not weird at all

We are 3-2 on Friday in the SEC with a game vs A&M that could have gone either way and a blown save to Fla. Either way- we've been really good on Fridays this season
    Breaking it down by day just does not really help analyze. We are what our record says we are. Which is not bad but also not great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Certainly if we had a Landon Sims type closer it would cover up a lot of mistakes but the main reason we don't win is we are a 'sloppy' baseball team. Been put in another thread that's it's about the little things that we screw up that don't matter in decisive games but get you beat 9 out of 10 times in close games. It's baserunning blunders, late game fielding errors, walks and hit by pitches at the wrong time, strikeouts in key situations that are non-productive outs and on and on. We don't perform when the chips are down and that is why we don't win close games. May not show up in overall stats buts it's very obvious when you watch us play. Choke factor is high with this team when the pressure is on and we don't perform the fundamentals in those situations. I think that flows down from leadership or lack thereof from Lemonis.
    Those little things get magnified more when you don't have a closer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Use him like Pilkington in 2016. Pilk was awesome as a 9 to 12-out freshman. Or as mid-relief after MSU survives 2 innings from Ligon and/or Siary. Its all hands on deck Sunday when you don't have a 3rd starter.

Looking at NS' High School stats he only pitched 39 innings in 9 appearances, seems like 4 inning outings were his routine. He was a starter as a Sophomore but was not a Starter later. More middle relief and his accolades are based on hitting.
    I feel like he is going to be a starter here. We're kind of wasting an opportunity not letting him start and give us at least 3-4 innings a start.

If Pico keeps pitching better eventually he will be the Sunday guy even if it's the last 2-3 weeks of the season.

vCash
    I feel like he is going to be a starter here. We're kind of wasting an opportunity not letting him start and give us at least 3-4 innings a start.

If Pico keeps pitching better eventually he will be the Sunday guy even if it's the last 2-3 weeks of the season.
    Pico's outing was so encouraging yesterday. If he can be that Sunday guy to get us 4-5 innings- we will be a team that can win a Regional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Pico's outing was so encouraging yesterday. If he can be that Sunday guy to get us 4-5 innings- we will be a team that can win a Regional
    We felt like Pico could be that guy in 2022 and then he got injured. Hopefully he can round back into form and come on like Zac Houston did in 16.