Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was Cheese doing to let the fiasco happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.
    Every damn time!

vCash
    34 you know like I do that baseball, above all other sports, is a game of failure and you have to deal with adversity constantly. Kinda like life. Obviously you want to keep mistakes to a minimum but as you said sometimes, stuff happens. Baseball is not a sport where you can just put it in the hands of your best player every single time you need a big play. I don't think most of our fans understand this and expect perfection. That's why so many people give up In the game threads when we get behind early or when we lose a game we're not "supposed" to
    lose. Heck I've seen people hit 3 home runs in a game and then come up in the 9th with the winning run on and whiff. I've also seen games where a guy whiffs 4 times and comes up in the 9th and drives in the winning run you forget about the 4 whiffs. In baseball you constantly have to deal with failure and it's how you deal with it that separates winners from losers. It's why a lot of sports fans can't handle baseball! Sorry rant over!
    Baseball - the only sport where success is failing 70% of the time.

vCash
    Cheese was too busy telling Hisack to stick a hot pocket in microwave for him.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 04-09-2024 at 08:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yep and it's so very mental and a lot of people can't deal with that little amount of success. It requires a ton of mental toughness to be successful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Cheese was too busy telling Hisack to stick a hot pocket in microwave from him.
    Best post in this thread!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That's how I was able to stay on a team as long as I did- the expected failure rate did a lot to hide how mediocre i was lol

vCash
    Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.
    I'm helping coach my sons U8 team and we've got to yell what to do every damned play lol. I've about got them all waiting up on a fly ball but when I say "there's 2 outs so run even if the ball is in the air" I get looks almost like betrayal like "what?? You tell me this rule all these times only to break it later??"

But there's no way you can blame a coach for not telling a COLLEGE PLAYER that the bases aren't loaded. like WTF, that's just basic situational awareness. And it's not a big deal, baserunning errors happen and we ultimately win the game anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I'm helping coach my sons U8 team and we've got to yell what to do every damned play lol. I've about got them all waiting up on a fly ball but when I say "there's 2 outs so run even if the ball is in the air" I get looks almost like betrayal like "what?? You tell me this rule all these times only to break it later??"

But there's no way you can blame a coach for not telling a COLLEGE PLAYER that the bases aren't loaded. like WTF, that's just basic situational awareness. And it's not a big deal, baserunning errors happen and we ultimately win the game anyway
    Man that's a fun age! They're just playing for the joy of the game and being kids! Enjoy it, it goes by to quick.

And that's the right perspective on that play Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hmmmm, the 3rd base coach should always tell the runner the situation and explain the "what ifs". Sure, Hujsak is responsible for his mistake, but Cheese should have been more alert also. I wondered what Cheese was doing or not doing when the play accrued. Actually, i think it's more 50-50.

Btw, our base running situation needs to get corrected. Hasn't been as bad lately but it has caused issues in the past, just saying so don't hate on me. I like winning and coaching guys up. LOL.
    exactly--Cheese went to sleep. why have a 3rd base coach if he isn't talking to the runner all the time.

vCash
    The replay of the game watch from 2:45:40 mark. Hujsak is almost completely back to third and then for some reason has a brain fart and turns around and trots for home. Notice as soon as he turns from the bag and starts trotting toward home look at cheese he's gesturing and hollering at Hujsak. Hujsak just gets past the dirt cutout(not halfway) when the throw comes. Cheese even run towards the line and the bag and is gesturing at the bay. No way anyone can watch that and say it's not on Hujsak.
    love your opinions, but some blame has to be on Cheese. why have a 3rd base Coach if he isn't going to prevent stupid plays like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Not only that- Cheese has to look into the dugout at Lemon to get the signal for what he wants to do next. Cheese sees Hugesak coming back toward 3rd as he was supposed to do. He probably cut his eyes toward the dugout to see what the plan was and then Hugesak inexplicably takes off
    when did you become an excuse maker? Cheese 17ed up just like Hisack. Hell -little league players wouldnot make that mistake.. because if they did the 3rd base coach would be yelling --"get your ass back on the base"

vCash
    oh boy...i feel like i'm sitting behind the back stop at a travel ball tournament listening to all the mom's talking about what should and shouldn't be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    oh boy...i feel like i'm sitting behind the back stop at a travel ball tournament listening to all the mom's talking about what should and shouldn't be done.
    I'm right there with ya! You, me and others have tried explaining this ad nauseam, I've shared the replay timing and I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I give up, the ones that know, know, the ones that don't will never get it.

vCash
    I'm right there with ya! You, me and others have tried explaining this ad nauseam, I've shared the replay timing and I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I give up, the ones that know, know, the ones that don't will never get it.
    Amen. And it clear shows the ones w lack of baseball knowledge. Easy to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Dead on, you win the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Amen. And it clear shows the ones w lack of baseball knowledge. Easy to see.
    Yup

vCash
    If I was cooking burgers on a grill with a 20 year old standing next to me the last thing I would ever think about having to say is "Don't lean up against this grill while this meat is sizzling." Kinda the same sort of thing being discussed here. If you think a third base coach needs to be constantly barking at a player at the highest level of collegiate baseball about not leaving third base on a walk with only one other player on at the time, then I don't know what to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    If I was cooking burgers on a grill with a 20 year old standing next to me the last thing I would ever think about having to say is "Don't lean up against this grill while this meat is sizzling." Kinda the same sort of thing being discussed here. If you think a third base coach needs to be constantly barking at a player at the highest level of collegiate baseball about not leaving third base on a walk with only one other player on at the time, then I don't know what to say.
    That's an awesome analogy! Wish I could give you more rep!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    when did you become an excuse maker? Cheese 17ed up just like Hisack. Hell -little league players wouldnot make that mistake.. because if they did the 3rd base coach would be yelling --"get your ass back on the base"
    Tell me you haven’t coached 3rd base before without telling me you haven’t coached 3rd base before

Good grief at our fans. That mistake is made on every level of baseball every season from every base
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Tell me you haven’t coached 3rd base before without telling me you haven’t coached 3rd base before

Good grief at our fans. That mistake is made on every level of baseball every season from every base
    Yep from tball to mlb! Actually probably more common than it should be at higher levels.