Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was Cheese doing to let the fiasco happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Not to mention that Hugesak stole 3rd a couple pitches earlier because the 3rd baseman was cheating trying to sneak in on the bunt. Who we gonna give that credit to?
    Was an extremely smart play by Hujsak, that was as smart a play as the pickoff was dumb!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is insane.

What do we think he did not tell him that he should have? Do not walk home if there is a walk here because the bases are not loaded?

Some things can be assumed. A coach does not tell every player on the field every detail about a play before every pitch.
    Well, if my wife was Coaching third base, I guarantee you she would have been "coaching him up"* on every pitch! Tell me you married guys agree? LMBO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Well, if my wife was Coaching third base, I guarantee you she would have been "coaching him up"* on every pitch! Tell me you married guys agree? LMBO
    100%!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    You could say Cheese should have been paying better attention, but in his defense, who in their right mind would even think Hujsak would do that.
    And I will bet anyone 100 bucks that he does not do it again.

Banned
    vCash
    Hmmmm, the 3rd base coach should always tell the runner the situation and explain the "what ifs". Sure, Hujsak is responsible for his mistake, but Cheese should have been more alert also. I wondered what Cheese was doing or not doing when the play accrued. Actually, i think it's more 50-50.

Btw, our base running situation needs to get corrected. Hasn't been as bad lately but it has caused issues in the past, just saying so don't hate on me. I like winning and coaching guys up. LOL.
    This

vCash
    Hmmmm, the 3rd base coach should always tell the runner the situation and explain the "what ifs". Sure, Hujsak is responsible for his mistake, but Cheese should have been more alert also. I wondered what Cheese was doing or not doing when the play accrued. Actually, i think it's more 50-50.

Btw, our base running situation needs to get corrected. Hasn't been as bad lately but it has caused issues in the past, just saying so don't hate on me. I like winning and coaching guys up. LOL.
    Our 2 family groups were sitting about 7 and 8 rows above the third base dugout and saw the play in real time. All five of us felt that both Cheese and Hujsak fell asleep at the wheel. Bone headed play by both. My wife says that the only job Cheese has coaching the third base.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Our 2 family groups were sitting about 7 and 8 rows above the third base dugout and saw the play in real time. All five of us felt that both Cheese and Hujsak fell asleep at the wheel. Bone headed play by both. My wife says that the only job Cheese has coaching the third base.
    Facts!!

vCash
    Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.
    Always appreciate your insight and knowledge from your coaching days, but the opinion of our group had nothing to do with Cheese yelling for the player to head home or come back. We all felt both were totally unaware during this situation and both lost focus. My wife told me again that all Cheese has to do is coach 3rd base.

vCash
    This would've been my instruction in between every pitch, "Nobody out, runner on first, Conservative lead, good secondary, dont get picked, tagging on a fly ball, line drives have to go through, ground ball to the middle we're scoring, to first or third we're holding unless they go for 2, your read on a passed ball." I don't what cheese instructions were but every third base coach has pretty much the same rap, depending on situation.

vCash
    Always appreciate your insight and knowledge from your coaching days, but the opinion of our group had nothing to do with Cheese yelling for the player to head home or come back. We all felt both were totally unaware during this situation and both lost focus. My wife told me again that all Cheese has to do is coach 3rd base.
    Once again it's all on Hujsak. NOBODY in the dugout is blaming cheese for this, no one. Watch the replay hujsak is down the line on ball 4 he starts back to third and then suddenly turns and heads for home and you can see cheese motioning and yelling, and that's what i mean by it was to late. This is all hujsak, sorry. And i'm sorry but you can never go by what a well meaning woman says during a baseball game. Just watch the replay you'll see what i mean.

vCash
    Once again it's all on Hujsak. NOBODY in the dugout is blaming cheese for this, no one. Watch the replay hujsak is down the line on ball 4 he starts back to third and then suddenly turns and heads for home and you can see cheese motioning and yelling, and that's what i mean by it was to late. This is all hujsak, sorry. And i'm sorry but you can never go by what a well meaning woman says during a baseball game. Just watch the replay you'll see what i mean.
    So wife just asked then, what is the third base coach's job if he didn't notice player was half way down the line before it was too late in this play? Thanks

vCash
    So wife just asked then, what is the third base coach's job if he didn't notice player was half way down the line before it was too late in this play? Thanks
    And like I just said Hujsak started back toward the bag and the turned and started trotting home. At that point it's too late for the 3b coach to do anything. And he wasn't halfway when he got picked. Please watch the replay and you'll see. It's why Lemonis said in the postgame nobody feels worse about this than Connor(he did not mention cheese), and said he won't make that mistake again. I like you a lot but the only way cheese prevents this is by tackling him and he ain't fast enough. Trust me I've coached third for more than 2 decades this is all on the runner.

vCash
    The replay of the game watch from 2:45:40 mark. Hujsak is almost completely back to third and then for some reason has a brain fart and turns around and trots for home. Notice as soon as he turns from the bag and starts trotting toward home look at cheese he's gesturing and hollering at Hujsak. Hujsak just gets past the dirt cutout(not halfway) when the throw comes. Cheese even run towards the line and the bag and is gesturing at the bay. No way anyone can watch that and say it's not on Hujsak.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-09-2024 at 04:47 PM.

vCash
    And like I just said Hujsak started back toward the bag and the turned and started trotting home. At that point it's too late for the 3b coach to do anything. And he wasn't halfway when he got picked. Please watch the replay and you'll see. It's why Lemonis said in the postgame nobody feels worse about this than Connor(he did not mention cheese), and said he won't make that mistake again. I like you a lot but the only way cheese prevents this is by tackling him and he ain't fast enough. Trust me I've coached third for more than 2 decades this is all on the runner.
    Thanks for further explanation. Not only do you explain things from a coach's perspective as well as a fan, I appreciate your kind words which brought a smile to my face. True state fans want us to be our best possible in all sports. Our group and those around us as fans are prone to do and lost it after this play "among a few others". I don't think i've met a true state fan that I didn't like, it takes guts to be one. So glad my late superdawg dad raised me hardcore as I have my son. Heck, I would watch state play tiddlywinks, especially if it was against ole miss and want to win every play and game! Hail State!

vCash
    Thanks for further explanation. Not only do you explain things from a coach's perspective as well as a fan, I appreciate your kind words which brought a smile to my face. True state fans want us to be our best possible in all sports. Our group and those around us as fans are prone to do and lost it after this play "among a few others". I don't think i've met a true state fan that I didn't like, it takes guts to be one. So glad my late superdawg dad raised me hardcore as I have my son. Heck, I would watch state play tiddlywinks, especially if it was against ole miss and want to win every play and game! Hail State!
    You're a good dude, Golden! I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a butthole but it probably came off that way. My apologies. Yes we all want what's best for State for sure! HAILSTATE and Go Dawgs! I agree I would watch State play anything! Love em!

vCash
    Not only that- Cheese has to look into the dugout at Lemon to get the signal for what he wants to do next. Cheese sees Hugesak coming back toward 3rd as he was supposed to do. He probably cut his eyes toward the dugout to see what the plan was and then Hugesak inexplicably takes off
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Not only that- Cheese has to look into the dugout at Lemon to get the signal for what he wants to do next. Cheese sees Hugesak coming back toward 3rd as he was supposed to do. He probably cut his eyes toward the dugout to see what the plan was and then Hugesak inexplicably takes off
    Man I love the way Hujsak plays the kid is all stones and it killed me that he made that mistake! You could see the hurt on his face too, because he knew he cost us a chance to have a huge inning. If we had lost that game somebody would've had to put a 24 hour watch on him.

vCash
    Your wife knows what cheese told him!??? Figures. This ain't on cheese. I promise you cheese just told him what they were doing on a ground ball. Let it go through. Etc. you don't tell them let it go through on the bases loaded. And you don't down angle w no outs. So let's just admit this isn't cheese's fault. Like blaming the rb coach for us fumbling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Your wife knows what cheese told him!??? Figures. This ain't on cheese. I promise you cheese just told him what they were doing on a ground ball. Let it go through. Etc. you don't tell them let it go through on the bases loaded. And you don't down angle w no outs. So let's just admit this isn't cheese's fault. Like blaming the rb coach for us fumbling.
    I like the rb Coach analogy!