Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In this scenario what would you want Selmon to do in regards to Lemonis?

vCash

In these scenarios what would you want Selmon to do in regards to Lemonis?

Finish 15-15 in conference
    3rd in the West, 7th overall
    Get a #2 seed and win regional
    Lose in 2 games in Super Regional

Or

Finish 17-13 in conference
    2nd in West, 5th overall
    Get a #1 seed but lose in regional final

Keep or fire Lemonis?

From what I have seen so far these are VERY LIKELY scenarios
    Last edited by MoreCowbell; 04-08-2024 at 02:39 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    I don’t see how you can fire anybody that makes a super regional

vCash
    I think you keep him in that scenario. I would say if he makes a Regional finals even with everything else the same.

A lot of baseball left but it looks like he has improved over the last two years. Get it going in the right direction and recruit some more guys in here to replace what we are losing.

vCash
    I've been on team time for Lemonis to go, but if he makes a super regional I have no problems keeping him. If you make the supers you're a top 16 team in the country, can't be mad at that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I think you keep him in that scenario. I would say if he makes a Regional finals even with everything else the same.

A lot of baseball left but it looks like he has improved over the last two years. Get it going in the right direction and recruit some more guys in here to replace what we are losing.
    I would too but when we are inevitably much worse next year there will be calls again for his head. What is recruiting looking like?

vCash
    No one gets let go after making a super without scandal. Don’t back that up with missing the tourney or possibly regional the next year because that would be 3 out of 4 years of no postseason play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    No one gets let go after making a super without scandal. Don’t back that up with missing the tourney or possibly regional the next year because that would be 3 out of 4 years of no postseason play.
    What if we get a 1 seed but lose in regional final?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    I don’t see how you can fire anybody that makes a super regional
    What if we get a 1 seed but lose in regional?

vCash
    He's not getting fired if he makes a regional. No comment on if I agree with that but you can just about count on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    What if we get a 1 seed but lose in regional final?
    Sorry. Overlooked 2nd scenario.
    You have had a good season if you are a 1 and I would be happy. Means you have beaten a lot of good teams. I would be upset to lose the regional but there are no promises in baseball in postseason play. You may run into a buzz saw and just get knocked out. But like I said earlier, you can’t come back the next year and lay an egg. That would mean 3 out 4 years of crap baseball and that’s a bad trend.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 04-08-2024 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    He would easily stay in either of those scenarios, and that would be fine. He would have earned another year.

vCash
    He obviously stays in either situation. If we host, or make super (if not hosting), he stays.

vCash
    I would too but when we are inevitably much worse next year there will be calls again for his head. What is recruiting looking like?
    We are currently 10th in the country for this Crootin Class

There is no reason for us to be much worse next year. Cupp/Mershon in the middle might be the best in the SEC. We gonna need a couple arms in the portal and a couple of position players- but so does everybody else

However- if he were to miss the Tourney next year? That's 3 out of 4 and he gone.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

Or

2nd in West, 5th overall

Keep or fire Lemonis?

Either one he deserves to stay and have NIL support.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We are currently 10th in the country for this Crootin Class

There is no reason for us to be much worse next year. Cupp/Mershon in the middle might be the best in the SEC. We gonna need a couple arms in the portal and a couple of position players- but so does everybody else

However- if he were to miss the Tourney next year? That's 3 out of 4 and he gone.
    Glad we can agree that missing the tourney next year = fired.

However, on us being better next year... what Fr contributors do we have on offense? None. Last year we got Jordan, Mershon, and Highfill who could play better than any current Fr. This group can't hit worth a lick right now. Last year we got 3 very flawed but high ceiling pitchers (Loo, Holcomb, and Loftin) this Fr class it seems we got 1 (Stevens). Yes any one of them could blow up and be All SEC I'm not saying they have no potential in this class, I'm saying they have shown us absolutely nothing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

However, on us being better next year... what Fr contributors do we have on offense? None. Last year we got Jordan, Mershon, and Highfill who could play better than any current Fr. This group can't hit worth a lick right now. Last year we got 3 very flawed but high ceiling pitchers (Loo, Holcomb, and Loftin) this Fr class it seems we got 1 (Stevens). Yes any one of them could blow up and be All SEC I'm not saying they have no potential in this class, I'm saying they have shown us absolutely nothing
    I'm not saying we would be better next year- but we should be good enough. Stevens, Cupp, Dirtbag, Chance, Spalitta, MacKenzie. I mean we dont really know about some of the freshmen- we arent going to sit Hugesak, Jordan, Hines, Larry...We will def have to get a couple of portal guys to come in

Dont forget about Grant in this Freshman class. Yes he will be coming off surgery but he was very highly rated. We have arms returning next year that should be fine and ready to ball.

I just think the "we're gonna suck next year" is in the same category as Lemon has lost this team or Lemon cant improve the team coming into this year. It's people guessing when they really just dont know.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm not saying we would be better next year- but we should be good enough. Stevens, Cupp, Dirtbag, Chance, Spalitta, MacKenzie. I mean we dont really know about some of the freshmen- we arent going to sit Hugesak, Jordan, Hines, Larry...We will def have to get a couple of portal guys to come in

Dont forget about Grant in this Freshman class. Yes he will be coming off surgery but he was very highly rated. We have arms returning next year that should be fine and ready to ball.

I just think the "we're gonna suck next year" is in the same category as Lemon has lost this team or Lemon cant improve the team coming into this year. It's people guessing when they really just don't know.
    COrrect you didn't say we'd be "better", that's sloppy wording on my part. I understood you meant wed be roughly the same next year. But a LOT of those names you mention currently cannot hit non-con pitching.

Like who's the proven hitters coming back? Mershon, Chance, Highfill (does he come back? I have no idea). That's it isn't it? We need 2-3 hitters that can't currently hit to develop into SEC hitters, a stud Fr to come in and play quickly, and what, 3 Portal players that can ball? This season we got no good Portal pickups, just solid defenders that can't hit. Year before we got what, 2? Ledd and Larry?

We certainly CAN be decent next year but there's a MASSIVE amount of holes to fill. When was the last time we lost 7 of our lineup including the top 3 hitters? Pitching I'm not going to look hard at, Parker deserves the benefit of the doubt. I will panic if he gets a HC job though lol

vCash
    COrrect you didn't say we'd be "better", that's sloppy wording on my part. I understood you meant wed be roughly the same next year. But a LOT of those names you mention currently cannot hit non-con pitching.

Like who's the proven hitters coming back? Mershon, Chance, Highfill (does he come back? I have no idea). That's it isn't it? We need 2-3 hitters that can't currently hit to develop into SEC hitters, a stud Fr to come in and play quickly, and what, 3 Portal players that can ball? This season we got no good Portal pickups, just solid defenders that can't hit. Year before we got what, 2? Ledd and Larry?

We certainly CAN be decent next year but there's a MASSIVE amount of holes to fill. When was the last time we lost 7 of our lineup including the top 3 hitters? Pitching I'm not going to look hard at, Parker deserves the benefit of the doubt. I will panic if he gets a HC job though lol
    Parker, you're 100% right. We better pay up.
    That being said there is no wonder we couldn't pick anyone up. Missing the tournament two years in a row.
    I think the portal will look a lot different this year if we continue to find ways to win the games we think that we will

vCash

Or

2nd in West, 5th overall

Keep or fire Lemonis?

I believe he would get another year in both of those scenarios however, option 1 is acceptable and option 2 is not up to our standard- however it is close to the standard.

vCash

Ah here we go again with none of our players expected improve.**

Our rotation could be Loo, Loftin, and Stevens. And yes I know Loo is draft eligible but I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back as he will still have leverage and a good chance to vault up to the first round. Being able to pitch with both arms also lessens his risk. If not we have Luke Dotson, we get Makhai Grant back, and we're going to be active in the portal with a real pitching coach this time.

C- Highfill or Spalitta. We'll get another catcher in the portal regardless.

1B- McKenzie
    2B- Mershon
    3B- Henry Allen- one of the top high school prospects this year who we should get through the draft.
    SS- Cupp

LF- Aaron Downs
    CF- Dante Nori- another top high school prospect I think we get through the draft
    RF- Nolan Stevens
    DH- Bryce Chance

We'll be better than people think. And we'll go after some corner INF/OF players in the portal and be more than fine and probably a closer as well like Aaron Nixon.