Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemonis v Jans (you should be loyal to Lemonis)

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash

Lemonis v Jans (you should be loyal to Lemonis)

All this Jans talk had me thinking about Lemonis vs Jans, and why I feel loyalty to Lemonis.

Jans
    - obviously wants out : looking for other jobs
    - had asked for and received fan support
    - has improved NIL funds as fans support the program
    - we are a definite stepping stone to him it seems

Lemonis
    - does nothing but praise State baseball program as the premier place to be
    - constantly talks about the privilege the players have to feel for playing in front of our fans
    - can recruit
    - our team was not tough last year. We are now. He addressed the problem.
    - won national championship

I remember Moorhead and how he treated our program. Saying stuff like - ?people act like I inherited the 85 Bears?, etc,,, just nonsense.

Mullen at the end was looking for a job every year.

Lemonis makes no excuses. All i have heard is him saying the expectations are high here and are justified.

If you view Lemonis negatively, I think you should relook.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    All this Jans talk had me thinking about Lemonis vs Jans, and why I feel loyalty to Lemonis.

Jans

Lemonis
    - constantly talks about the privilege the players have to feel for playing in front of our fans
    - can recruit

I remember Moorhead and how he treated our program. Saying stuff like - ?people act like I inherited the 85 Bears?, etc,,, just nonsense.

Lemonis makes no excuses. All i have heard is him saying the expectations are high here and are justified.

Neither of these have anything to do with each other.

vCash
    Excellent post! Have some rep!

ETA Job is still about winning though and Lemonis knows that as well.

vCash

Jans

Lemonis
    - can recruit

I think he piggy-backed off the success of Cannizaro and Henderson building a solid foundation. That's not to say Lemonis can't coach. He can, and he took us to Omaha a couple of times and won the title. But I need to see him live up to our standard on his own, fully with his recruits, and he simply hasn't done that yet. He's had two terrible years, and this year is TBD. We're better for sure this year, but I expect more for this program than two bad years and a third year ending our season in a road regional somewhere. I expect us to host more often than not, and I expect us to compete for more national titles.

vCash
    Yeah but the difference is one is actually receiving interest from others and one isn't. I'll let you decide why that is.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Another difference is one won a national championship and one did not.

vCash

Jans

Lemonis
    - can recruit

That's a great post.

vCash
    Another difference is one won a national championship and one did not.
    Fact. And he did it in the SEC's most competitive sport.

vCash
    This crap about "loyalty" is utter nonsense. How "loyal" were we to arnett? Fired his butt (rightfully so) after 1 season, and then we cry bc jans interviews for a better job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This crap about "loyalty" is utter nonsense. How "loyal" were we to arnett? Fired his butt (rightfully so) after 1 season, and then we cry bc jans interviews for a better job.
    Probably right. Loyal may not be the right word. I know I said it.

More like we should be happy with the respect that Lemonis shows our program. Compared to how other coaches treat our programs.

They have to win. All of them do. That is a given. The next question is how do they treat the program.

vCash
    Probably right. Loyal may not be the right word. I know I said it.

More like we should be happy with the respect that Lemonis shows our program. Compared to how other coaches treat our programs.

They have to win. All of them do. That is a given. The next question is how do they treat the program.
    Jans has gotten us to the tourney in both his seasons here, so him wanting out hasn't affected his job performance.

How much respect do we give Jans with our poor attendance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowDawg View Post
    I think he piggy-backed off the success of Cannizaro and Henderson building a solid foundation. That's not to say Lemonis can't coach. He can, and he took us to Omaha a couple of times and won the title. But I need to see him live up to our standard on his own, fully with his recruits, and he simply hasn't done that yet. He's had two terrible years, and this year is TBD. We're better for sure this year, but I expect more for this program than two bad years and a third year ending our season in a road regional somewhere. I expect us to host more often than not, and I expect us to compete for more national titles.
    Cann??? LOL. The myth of Cann continues. The guy benefitted completely off what Cohen built, spent his tenure here chasing tail and making weightlifting videos, and got fired one weekend into his second season. He landed a couple of nice recruits and that's it. Henderson was a steady influence who kept the wheels on the bus - and I thank him for it. Neither of them have any lasting impact on the program beyond that. Zero. Unless you count him bringing Goat with him - and most people seem to think he is terrible (I don't but many do).
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    And FWIW, I really wish jans wanted to be here like I want him to be. At the same time, I can see how we aren't a destination job for him. He isn't from MS. He didn't go to state. We aren't a national brand in MBK... we just aren't. We are those things in baseball though.

vCash
    Yea, it's really apples and oranges. Our baseball program is probably Top 10 in the country while our basketball program is maybe Top 50 or 60? Of course our baseball coach is going to be more loyal to the program he is coaching than our basketball coach is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Cann??? LOL. The myth of Cann continues. The guy benefitted completely off what Cohen built, spent his tenure here chasing tail and making weightlifting videos, and got fired one weekend into his second season. He landed a couple of nice recruits and that's it. Henderson was a steady influence who kept the wheels on the bus - and I thank him for it. Neither of them have any lasting impact on the program beyond that. Zero. Unless you count him bringing Goat with him - and most people seem to think he is terrible (I don't but many do).
    You're right as always, Bruns. 100%. Cann fooled a lot of people(including his wife), well at least for a little while

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    If Mississippi State basketball was as premier of a program in its sport as MSU baseball is in its sport then the roles would be reversed. The idea that any of these coaches are loyal is just burying your head in the sand. People are as loyal as their options in almost every part of life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    100%. Cann is a 17'n joke of a coach and human.

vCash
    Jans has gotten us to the tourney in both his seasons here, so him wanting out hasn't affected his job performance.

How much respect do we give Jans with our poor attendance?
    The basketball attendance issue will likely never get fixed. Once our administration determined that making more money trumped loyal attendees we became stuck as we are. So we have lots of sellouts but a bunch of our season tickets in the lower bowl are held by people and entities that give larger seat premiums than what the guy off the street can afford but have no intentions of attending games regularly and apparently don't feel the need to get their unused tickets into the hands of others. Seems like a hopeless problem to solve.

vCash
    This is like comparing Bama football vs baseball.

Our baseball program is a top 10 program and at least in the top 5 facilities. Basketball is not anywhere close. Where would Lemonis go? He is one of the top paid headcoaches and I know we had the top paid assistant coaches after the National Title.

Lemonis interviewing anywhere would be for a pay cut. Not saying that I want him gone right now, this season determines that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The basketball attendance issue will likely never get fixed. Once our administration determined that making more money trumped loyal attendees we became stuck as we are. So we have lots of sellouts but a bunch of our season tickets in the lower bowl are held by people and entities that give larger seat premiums than what the guy off the street can afford but have no intentions of attending games regularly and apparently don't feel the need to get their unused tickets into the hands of others. Seems like a hopeless problem to solve.
    Unfortunately this is so true. The Hump can be a very electric and intimidating atmosphere when its right, but we really screwed by changing the seating.