Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have most of you given up on football ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Attendance means little? Not sure that is correct. What kids want to play in empty stadiums?
    To the bottom line. Many MLB parks are almost empty. I don't mean no one will attend, but overall attendance will continue to trend down. I'm for beginning to rip out bleachers and convert the lower deck to chair backs. Bring capacity down to 50k or so.

There are so many more things vying for our Saturdays these days, kids activities and not being able to watch as many other games are two big ones. For many of us attending a game is a full day (or possibly full weekend). I'd completely revamp our game day experience from soup to nuts.

vCash
    Attendance means little? Not sure that is correct. What kids want to play in empty stadiums?
    Those they want to play for USM.**

vCash
    Changes coming.
    But the 80 team super league peddled by non Big10 and non sec is a red herring.
    The sec and Big10 will break away. Probably be some others come with that they allow.
    Solves the antitrust issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Changes coming.
    But the 80 team super league peddled by non Big10 and non sec is a red herring.
    The sec and Big10 will break away. Probably be some others come with that they allow.
    Solves the antitrust issue.
    Concur, only the simple fell for that. Whatever happens will be at the direction of, and to the benefit of, the Big 2.

vCash
    Sorry brothers but I?m just really apathetic towards football. Not necessarily in the correct order.
    1. Cost it?s really gotten really stupid expensive. Bulldog club payments, NIL donation, ticket prices, 2.5 hours one way, lodging in Starkville.
    2. Only sniffed at a championship once.
    3. Every game I can sit in the comfort of my home and my easy chair watch on tv.
    4. And I?m on the back side of 60. And I?ve done it my entire adult life.
    5. NIL and transfer portal is BS imo before the NIL we hand a chance to get players and win meaningful games. Today we have no chance.
    What ole miss does or doesn?t do really doesn?t effect my apathy for State football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    yeah not sure where that comes from. Attendance is down and other factors affecting it as well.

Here is what I am talking about:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...l-super-league

When Presidents start supporting something- change is coming
    I've heard from TV viewership but that just goes to show that combined with lowering attendance that fans and choosing to watch on TV for free. The ballon can't continue to go. People will still watch if it is free but I don't know anyone that likes what has been going on in recent years. I still go to games but I ain't spending any more money. I stay in camper and no extra money for other stuff but I still enjoy rooting for my school at least for now.

vCash
    We are either going to have to pay to stream games eventually or pay per view to watch them on TV. There is no way all these TV viewers went out and bought every item advertised during the 3.5 minute commercials.

As far as ticket prices, the Fans of the big boys will keep paying to go no matter how high the prices go. But for us peon schools, there will be a point of diminishing returns. And I fear the average State fan has already been priced out. Soon they will either have to make upper deck tickets family package deals or just create big banners to cover the Empty seats or use the Covid Cardboard cutouts to make the seats look full. Vivre mentioned downsizing and chair backing the lower bowl to cut capacity to 50,000. That would be nice but the seats would be $1000 a season plus BDC or Collective fees to pay for it and the average family of 4 is still priced out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I'm not sure if it's giving up but I just don't have the vested interest in it like I used to. NIL, etc. has just transformed the game into a product that a lot of people are just kinda getting fed up with and it's not just me, I hear this sentiment a lot.
    I care less now than I ever have. I used to would never ever miss a snap or a pitch. When someone wanted to know what time we were playing I knew a week ahead. but now? I watched about 3 innings last night. I turned 3 of our football games off last year. It made Nick Saban decide to hang it up. All that needs to be said. If you think you know how bad it is, it?s worse

vCash
    Man. You would be shocked because I know you want to do things the right way. But 90-95 percent of these kids dont give a shit who is there. They want $ and dont care who wins or loses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Man. You would be shocked because I know you want to do things the right way. But 90-95 percent of these kids dont give a shit who is there. They want $ and dont care who wins or loses
    I think this is probably true and why so many are disgusted with sports now. I have stood down and observed players after games, particularly a bad loss. Some are pissed and hurt but watched many joking, goofing off, laughing. Not saying they need to be slamming helmets but I wouldn't be happy bout a bad loss.

They just don't have the heart I want to see in my team. Love of money is root of all evil. These were kids getting paid too.

NIL, transfer, etc. just tools to enable player selfishness and don't give a crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I think this is probably true and why so many are disgusted with sports now.
    As far as football, viewership is up biggly, so I don't too many fans are "disgusted," at least not enough to stop watching and caring.

vCash
    I hear that the defense plays fast, physical and currently ahead of the offense but also heard that Barbay ran an offense with explosive plays. We will see in the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I care less now than I ever have. I used to would never ever miss a snap or a pitch. When someone wanted to know what time we were playing I knew a week ahead. but now? I watched about 3 innings last night. I turned 3 of our football games off last year. It made Nick Saban decide to hang it up. All that needs to be said. If you think you know how bad it is, it?s worse
    Greedy overpaid coaches like Saben and the billions being made by the corrupt NCAA helped cause this. I can easily see how all the players especially in FB & MBB deserved a fair cut in the eyes of the courts. I reluctantly joined the BI (small quarterly amount, but hope it helps) and the Portal is a no rules joke. Some players been on 3 different teams in 3 years or 4 in 4. Bet their transcripts and progress toward a degree are a joke even though Charlie Winfield says we still watch and adhere to this. Saben quit because he could no longer stack 4 and 5 star players on his roster anymore waiting 3 or 4 years to play. Ruined the mega rich hypocrite's playhouse. They are no longer student athletes at all. Put them on contract and end this free agent portal mess. NFL at least has a salary cap and can lock players up for a few years under contract. Used to be fun to watch young players develop in 2 or 3 years to be good college players, When I was a kid, even attended Freshman football games (couldn't play varsity that year), and watched with interest and sometimes excitement to gauge upcoming talent of players. Now you need a program every spring to see who's playing for you & what other colleges they have abandoned $$$$$$$.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 04-06-2024 at 11:53 AM.

vCash
    BTW: AD Greg Byrne recently stated bama lost $40 million on non-revenue producing sports. How do you justify NIL $ for these type programs compared to FB, MBB, and baseball and hockey at some conferences? Title 9 looks to be losing its power. Women's Olympic soccer demanded equal $ to the men no matter the interest or results of the product. This is all a mess.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 04-06-2024 at 12:20 PM.