Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confidence level

vCash
    People are just frustrated.

LSU lost to the SWAC last night

Was today ok? **** no. But it comes down to our SEC record and what we do there. Be good or you will be fired. Need to take Georgia this weekend
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Was today ok? **** no. But it comes down to our SEC record and what we do there. Be good or you will be fired. Need to take Georgia this weekend
    This 100% the right answer. All comes down to sec play. Win or we'll have a new coach next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Did I read that right and you would've fired him after 21? You would have fired him right after winning the national championship? 22 and 23 were bad but no one fires a coach right after winning a natty. That has to be a typo
    Nope it is not. Then again I did not want to hire him in the first place. I also knew 19-21 that he was just riding the talent of Cohen and Cann. You could see the cracks starting to form that 21 offseason and that came into fruition in the 22 season that culminated with Tennessee beating us I believe 27-2 on a Thursday night. I would have fired him then because you could tell he had zero clue how to turn it around. Lemonis has no clue how to coach in tight games and if the talent does not bail him out he will blow it with his decision making. 19 Louisville, 21 Virginia and Texas(talent bailed him out in the Virginia game and Texas Game 3), and every close game in 22 and 23
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 04-02-2024 at 11:37 PM.

vCash

What if State loses 2 of 3 this weekend in come from ahead fashion? Are you going to say, we need to take Ole Miss the next weekend? There is a Deer In Headlights Common Denominator to State baseball failures in '22, '23, and losing to crap teams in '24.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    What if State loses 2 of 3 this weekend in come from ahead fashion? Are you going to say, we need to take Ole Miss the next weekend? There is a Deer In Headlights Common Denominator to State baseball failures in '22, '23, and losing to crap teams in '24.
    If we lose the series this weekend then his job begins to come into play. Winning the series this weekend is very important to him making the NCAA Tourney. Miss that? You’re fired

vCash
    If we lose the series this weekend then his job begins to come into play. Winning the series this weekend is very important to him making the NCAA Tourney. Miss that? You’re fired
    You're right, huge series for Lemon this weekend. What some people don't want to acknowledge is that our weak noncon and play has made it necessary for us to win 15 SEC games. Tall order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You're right, huge series for Lemon this weekend. What some people don't want to acknowledge is that our weak noncon and play has made it necessary for us to win 15 SEC games. Tall order.
    We aren't going to have to win 15 SEC games to get into a regional. However, losing today pretty much means that the bare minimum is 13. And I think it really hurts us as far as having the potential to host if say we were to win 16 games. We took a pretty big RPI hit today because of this- from 45 down to 56.

That could definitely affect the overall outcome of the season and how the team finishes.

At the risk of blowing things out of proportion- this is pretty bad loss. And it's the kind of loss that makes me wonder if Lemonis doesn't come back that we look at it as the straw that broke the camel's back because of those postseason implications.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you that Lemonis and company will ever get us back to where we belong? Im about a 3 at best. He has beaten OM like a drum, and that is great. But if we are never going to get back to where we should be with him, every inning he is here is a waste. We are an improved team. We have a shot to not finish in 14th place in our league. But that is not us.
    I think we definitely have the talent to. But the lack of attention to detail is very alarming. The fact that he seems to rely heavily on team leaders- whether it's Jake, TA, or Long to drive the team is alarming. Johnny Long's interview was very telling today. I don't think he was calling Lemonis out or anything but it does make Lemonis look bad because it makes you wonder why the hell he isn't getting the team focused? Or maybe it's the fact that Long seems a lot more in tune with what's going on and a lot less like "I don't know what happened. We're pissed off about it."

Lemonis is so hands off that it is his biggest weakness as a coach because then he has to rely on so many others to succeed. But I'm not sure that he is enough asshole CEO to drive those people to get the best out of them. Augie Garrido would have gone nuclear on the team today. Cohen would have too. One of the roles of the head coach is to push others and I'm just not sure that is happening enough based on what I am seeing on the field. Like how the hell do you allow Foxhall to do what he did for over a year and a half? And today he should have told Gautreau to instruct the team to shorten up and put the ball in play after the third inning. Maybe he did do that- but the message clearly didn't get through.

vCash

Without a question the Georgia series just got a LOT bigger. As did every other SEC series.

vCash
    It's crazy to me to think and say "only the Sec games" will define Lemonis future. Every game is important, you can't lay down on non-conference games. If players or coaches aren't giving 100% then they shouldn't be at Msu! If someone isn't giving 100% they want be successful. Dang.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think we definitely have the talent to. But the lack of attention to detail is very alarming. The fact that he seems to rely heavily on team leaders- whether it's Jake, TA, or Long to drive the team is alarming. Johnny Long's interview was very telling today. I don't think he was calling Lemonis out or anything but it does make Lemonis look bad because it makes you wonder why the hell he isn't getting the team focused? Or maybe it's the fact that Long seems a lot more in tune with what's going on and a lot less like "I don't know what happened. We're pissed off about it."

Lemonis is so hands off that it is his biggest weakness as a coach because then he has to rely on so many others to succeed. But I'm not sure that he is enough asshole CEO to drive those people to get the best out of them. Augie Garrido would have gone nuclear on the team today. Cohen would have too. One of the roles of the head coach is to push others and I'm just not sure that is happening enough based on what I am seeing on the field. Like how the hell do you allow Foxhall to do what he did for over a year and a half? And today he should have told Gautreau to instruct the team to shorten up and put the ball in play after the third inning. Maybe he did do that- but the message clearly didn't get through.
    Hands off, hmmmm, if you only knew.

vCash

If we are comparing to LSU, then the better question, is if anyone sees LSU putting up with that for the next 3 seasons, and by then the fans saying "well if we can get into a regional lets let the coach stay".
    Does anyone on this board see LSU in 3 years from now with bad seasons, holding on to the same coach and saying "that is just the SEC" or "we get to a regional then he should be safe".

vCash
    There's a lot to take in from that video, and none of it is good. He said a lot, but there was obviously a lot of restraint.

At this point, there are still a lot of issues that will keep this team from getting back where we need to be. The main thing is the mental aspect and the buy-in to a true team concept. The chest pound thing just needs to stop when half the lineup refuses to swallow their pride and protect the plate. I'm sure they are being taught to shorten up and think oppo, but the instruction isn't being executed. That is a shared responsibility, but it ultimately falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

Another major issues is that we have WAY too many non-competitive innings at the plate, and we tend to bunch those into 4-5-6 inning stretches of sleepwalking. Again, that is on the staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    If we are comparing to LSU, then the better question, is if anyone sees LSU putting up with that for the next 3 seasons, and by then the fans saying "well if we can get into a regional lets let the coach stay".
    Does anyone on this board see LSU in 3 years from now with bad seasons, holding on to the same coach and saying "that is just the SEC" or "we get to a regional then he should be safe".
    We’re not LSU and never will be. My point was the national champion lost to the SWAC. It happens in baseball.

Win the Georgia series and we are still in good shape. Lose it? Well things are getting tougher

vCash
    We?re not LSU and never will be. My point was the national champion lost to the SWAC. It happens in baseball.

Win the Georgia series and we are still in good shape. Lose it? Well things are getting tougher
    We are not LSU in the number of CWS titles, but we are a top team as far as CWS appearances and that being our goal each year. Not that we will make it, but it is the goal.
    We lose alot this season also, so how many more years will Lemonis need to "build his team".

vCash
    Confidence in Lemonis is going to fluctuate wildly during the season but in the end he's just not going to get the job done..... period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hands off, hmmmm, if you only knew.
    I'm certainly open to enlightenment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's crazy to me to think and say "only the Sec games" will define Lemonis future. Every game is important, you can't lay down on non-conference games. If players or coaches aren't giving 100% then they shouldn't be at Msu! If someone isn't giving 100% they want be successful. Dang.....
    Well it's true to an extent because how we do in the SEC determines if we get to the postseason or not.

But from there how we do in the postseason should we make it will determine his fate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    We are not LSU in the number of CWS titles, but we are a top team as far as CWS appearances and that being our goal each year. Not that we will make it, but it is the goal.
    We lose alot this season also, so how many more years will Lemonis need to "build his team".
    We are not LSU period. They are THE program in their state- plus have a large following in our state (especially on the coast) as well as in southern Texas. They are located in a large city which allows them to have large crowds for every home game- not just weekend series. And obviously its easier to recruit to LSU than it is to State

Now to your 2nd point- We have too many fans confusing our successful run we had that Lemon finished off with a title with that little run being a "standard". I've said this for 20 years now when people wanted to fire Polk and then when people wanted to fire Cohen- having the CWS as your "standard" is ridiculous. We are in the 25th year of the 2000's and we have 5 CWS appearances. Doing something 20% of the time is not a "standard". People arent being realistic saying that.

What should our standard be? It should be to make a Super. Be in the Sweet 16 of baseball so to speak. That is realistic. We have been in a Super 10 times and that is doable most seasons.

Lemon's job is to get into the postseason and see what happens. We are in the middle of that process currently. Next year is next year- has no bearing on this season. We have no idea what the team will be next year. We shall see how it plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Confidence in Lemonis is going to fluctuate wildly during the season but in the end he's just not going to get the job done..... period.

I think he is narrowing the window of how the season is going to end up. It's going to range from just missing the tourney to a 2 seed. That's just not where State baseball should be, and Lemonis shouldn't be allowed to lower State standards.

While improvement is obvious, is it enough? He has failed with the portal, and that's just not acceptable in this day and age. The roster looks thin for next year, so why hang on if we know he's going to have another down year next year?

I just don't believe that "motivating" players is a strength of Lemonis. The fire that was lit under him might have made him do more in that regards, but it will fade as soon as his job is secure again.