Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confidence level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's crazy to me to think and say "only the Sec games" will define Lemonis future. Every game is important, you can't lay down on non-conference games. If players or coaches aren't giving 100% then they shouldn't be at Msu! If someone isn't giving 100% they want be successful. Dang.....
    I 100% agree that every game counts. Heck I almost threw my laptop through the wall in my office yesterday when we didn't finish that comeback. When I say the sec schedule determines the year it's because how we do in the sec will determine whether or not we make the tournament(not hoover), the ncaa tournament, and if we do make it what seed we get. The next 3 weeks will go a long way in determining our post season future and lemonis future.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-03-2024 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We are not LSU period. They are THE program in their state- plus have a large following in our state (especially on the coast) as well as in southern Texas. They are located in a large city which allows them to have large crowds for every home game- not just weekend series. And obviously its easier to recruit to LSU than it is to State

Now to your 2nd point- We have too many fans confusing our successful run we had that Lemon finished off with a title with that little run being a "standard". I've said this for 20 years now when people wanted to fire Polk and then when people wanted to fire Cohen- having the CWS as your "standard" is ridiculous. We are in the 25th year of the 2000's and we have 5 CWS appearances. Doing something 20% of the time is not a "standard". People arent being realistic saying that.

What should our standard be? It should be to make a Super. Be in the Sweet 16 of baseball so to speak. That is realistic. We have been in a Super 10 times and that is doable most seasons.

Lemon's job is to get into the postseason and see what happens. We are in the middle of that process currently. Next year is next year- has no bearing on this season. We have no idea what the team will be next year. We shall see how it plays out.
    Pretty dang accurate.

vCash
    Ads on this page: sneakers from ebay on top of page to wear when you book your travel on "indus"to Dubai, Australia, or New Zealand( bottom of page).**** Most of these ads are total garage. Update: "Cheapest Airlines" & "Progressive Leasing" added to page. "Lost Plane Found After Decades"also added back to top. This is a joke!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 04-03-2024 at 10:50 AM.

vCash
    We are not LSU period. They are THE program in their state- plus have a large following in our state (especially on the coast) as well as in southern Texas. They are located in a large city which allows them to have large crowds for every home game- not just weekend series. And obviously its easier to recruit to LSU than it is to State

Now to your 2nd point- We have too many fans confusing our successful run we had that Lemon finished off with a title with that little run being a "standard". I've said this for 20 years now when people wanted to fire Polk and then when people wanted to fire Cohen- having the CWS as your "standard" is ridiculous. We are in the 25th year of the 2000's and we have 5 CWS appearances. Doing something 20% of the time is not a "standard". People arent being realistic saying that.

What should our standard be? It should be to make a Super. Be in the Sweet 16 of baseball so to speak. That is realistic. We have been in a Super 10 times and that is doable most seasons.

Lemon's job is to get into the postseason and see what happens. We are in the middle of that process currently. Next year is next year- has no bearing on this season. We have no idea what the team will be next year. We shall see how it plays out.
    Your 25 year of the 2000's, the first decade was marred with all the Polk 2 stuff. We lost alot of ground back then in our recruiting base and methods, with getting complacent while suddenly Bianco started out recruiting us and built ole miss from nothing.
    I do not want our program going back to those days. Has nothing to do with a "standard".

And in the 90's - was it CWS in 5 of the 10 years?
    What about the past 12 years? In the CWS title game twice, and knocked on the door a few more times. So all the 80's and 90's success, it has been the last 11 years that we were in the title game twice. But we are told, things are different now and we should not get our hopes up for that anymore.

Sorry, but we do have a great history, and we should always strive to get there instead of saying "he he got us in a regional this year....not too shabby". That is not to say we should be mad every year not in the CWS. I am clearly saying we should always strive (and donate to NIL) for the goal of getting there, and in that effort we do land there every few years.

Otherwise, lets just enjoy a hopeful invite to a regional, and enjoy our LFL and smoke every year and be told to be happy to just even compete now in the SEC...and mid week games ***
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-03-2024 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Having a Super as your standard is not lowering the bar at all. We all know Lemon has not been good the last 2 years. Get the job done this year or you will be unemployed.

The big thing is to let it play out. Almost nobody here thought we would be 4-5 in the SEC right now. It was all this “we gonna be 1-8” chatter. Win the series against Georgia and we are still on track to accomplish our goals. Pretty simple
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    And see? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

We made the CWS 3 times in the 90's- not 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you that Lemonis and company will ever get us back to where we belong? Im about a 3 at best. He has beaten OM like a drum, and that is great. But if we are never going to get back to where we should be with him, every inning he is here is a waste. We are an improved team. We have a shot to not finish in 14th place in our league. But that is not us.
    Define "where we belong"

vCash
    The worst thing that can happen is achieving only the bare minimum required to stay the course.

I have no idea what that level is. But for the good of the program we need to miss it or achieve it by a good bit.

Escape the gray area.

vCash
    And see? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

We made the CWS 3 times in the 90's- not 5
    I was not stating fact, I was asking without having to look it up.
    The point you intentionally ignore is --- In the CWS championship twice in the past 11 years, right? Despite all the old MSU baseball history and posters here saying it will never be like the old days of dominating in the SEC.

The past 2 years, and seeing a roster this year that will deplete us for next season is a big concern.

vCash
    I was not stating fact, I was asking without having to look it up.
    The point you intentionally ignore is --- In the CWS championship twice in the past 11 years, right? Despite all the old MSU baseball history and posters here saying it will never be like the old days of dominating in the SEC.

The past 2 years, and seeing a roster this year that will deplete us for next season is a big concern.
    Nobody is saying we cant be in the Final 2 times in 11 years- but acting like us not making the CWS is a letdown year is ridiculous to me.

Stevens
    Cupp
    Mershon
    Downs
    Chance
    Spalitta
    Highfill??
    O'Brien
    Plus other freshmen buried right now because of who is ahead of them
    Add a couple of portal guys
    (Remember last year and even before the season people saying Hugesak was a bust and cant hit??? That looks like a bad take now doesnt it???)

That's a solid start to next season position-wise. We also have plenty of young pitchers. Not sure why everybody is whining about next year right now

vCash
    Nobody is saying we cant be in the Final 2 times in 11 years- but acting like us not making the CWS is a letdown year is ridiculous to me.

Stevens
    Cupp
    Mershon
    Downs
    Chance
    Spalitta
    Highfill??
    O'Brien
    (Remember last year and even before the season people saying Hugesak was a bust and cant hit??? That looks like a bad take now doesnt it???)

That's a solid start to next season position-wise. We also have plenty of young pitchers. Not sure why everybody is whining about next year right now
    Also have a nice class coming in. Im gonna call it Lemonis Derangement Syndrome lol. Pretty simple though if he doesnt win this year we'll have a new coach handling this next year.

vCash

Stevens
    Cupp
    Mershon
    Downs
    Chance
    Spalitta
    Highfill??
    O'Brien

I have never said not making the CWS this season is a let down. What I have criticized is what has come across after the past 2 seasons of a fan base just being thrilled to get in a regional.
    Or what I have seen posted on here recently telling us that the SEC is different and we are no longer in the old days. That is when I speak up and say well we made it twice to the championship in these new days, so stop lowering the bar of goals. We should strive every season for it.

We do not have a full team for next year without some big portal hauls and talent evaluation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Also have a nice class coming in. Im gonna call it Lemonis Derangement Syndrome lol. Pretty simple though if he doesnt win this year we'll have a new coach handling this next year.
    Our fans in general are not very good at predicting player career arcs and thus have to "see it".

vCash
    I have never said not making the CWS this season is a let down. What I have criticized is what has come across after the past 2 seasons of a fan base just being thrilled to get in a regional.
    Or what I have seen posted on here recently telling us that the SEC is different and we are no longer in the old days. That is when I speak up and say well we made it twice to the championship in these new days, so stop lowering the bar of goals. We should strive every season for it.

We do not have a full team for next year without some big portal hauls and talent evaluation.
    We'll be fine. The biggest thing we need out of the portal is a closer and maybe a third baseman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Our fans in general are not very good at predicting player career arcs and thus have to "see it".
    Is that not the case for anything in baseball , that you have to prove yourself and "see it". We can see potential in players, but the mental aspect is so important as well.

vCash
    Is that not the case for anything in baseball , that you have to prove yourself and "see it". We can see potential in players, but the mental aspect is so important as well.
    I see that our team is ranked currently

vCash
    Your 25 year of the 2000's, the first decade was marred with all the Polk 2 stuff. We lost alot of ground back then in our recruiting base and methods, with getting complacent while suddenly Bianco started out recruiting us and built ole miss from nothing.
    I do not want our program going back to those days. Has nothing to do with a "standard".

What about the past 12 years? In the CWS title game twice, and knocked on the door a few more times. So all the 80's and 90's success, it has been the last 11 years that we were in the title game twice. But we are told, things are different now and we should not get our hopes up for that anymore.

Sorry, but we do have a great history, and we should always strive to get there instead of saying "he he got us in a regional this year....not too shabby". That is not to say we should be mad every year not in the CWS. I am clearly saying we should always strive (and donate to NIL) for the goal of getting there, and in that effort we do land there every few years.

Otherwise, lets just enjoy a hopeful invite to a regional, and enjoy our LFL and smoke every year and be told to be happy to just even compete now in the SEC...and mid week games ***
    We went to the CWS 3 times in the 90's 2 times in the 80's

vCash
    I see that our team is ranked currently
    agree, and we do seem to have a better mental toughness this year.
    My take is nothing on the players, but that we should all want to challenge anyone , any time, this year. Be the team end of the year that no one wants to face.

Just did not agree with some fans posting , just being happy to be there at a regional and it is a good year.
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-03-2024 at 01:59 PM.

vCash

I agree with a lot of your point about us not being LSU level and fans expectations being a little too unrealistic. I think they are that way because from 2013-2023 we went to 4 CWS, 6 Supers, and 7 Regionals. I mean we were on a hell of a 10 year run and Lemonis derailed it. Whether by injuries, mismanagement, or bad hiring it was derailed. All he had to do was just not screw it up, but he has managed to really screw it up. I think we are coming out of the 2 year low and getting back to respectability but to get back to the level we were at the end of Cohen is going to take some time. I also think our stadium being as palatial as it is has set a standard. I have said time and time again that stadium was not built for April. It was built for June. So when you build a stadium for that time of year, then the expectation is that you will be playing that time of year almost every year.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 04-03-2024 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    We slide into the tournament this year as a 2. Lemon keeps his job. We miss the tournament next year and look for a new coach.