Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Halfway Thru Baseball Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Halfway Thru Baseball Edition

ok- we are 3 series into the SEC season. Let's take a look:

1. UPig's pitching is top notch. They are a good baseball team. Def the SEC's best. Candy has a great record but they were given an easy start to the SEC scheduling-wise.

2. Is the Kentucky Clown Show for real? Helluva start by them but let's remember- two of their three opponents are the SEC's worst teams. They can hit the baseball but their pitching has questions needed answering

3. LSU becomes the 3rd straight team to struggle after winning the Natty. 2-7 in the SEC with their next 2 series being home to Candy and at Tennessee. This bunch could end up being 4-11 at the halfway point.

4. Florida has some holes but they are talented. We should have swept that ass but they found a way.

5. Lots of teams in the middle. State, Georgia, Bama, Tenn, A&M, and SC.

6. Surprised Auburn is this bad but I think they may still beat out Mississippi for the last SEC Tourney spot. Tough year for Butch. But it happens even in successful programs

7. SEC has 10 ranked teams and probably gets 10 into the Tourney again.

8. Tough weekend to be a State fan. You know you are ok at 4-5 right now....but damnnnnnnnn...not having a closer has lost this team 5 games already. Dohm- if really ready to return this weekend- has to become the guy. We have some guys to start- but we dont have a Finisher right now. This has got to get solved asap.

9. We now understand that our team is pretty good and will be in the NCAA's. These next 3 weeks needs a 6-3 for us to get into a hosting role.

10. I told you HugeSak was going to hit!!!!! (I wont let that one die)
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I don’t see 10 teams in tourney.

vCash
    Great post and I agree on all. We have a good lineup with some ballers, we have good starting pitching and very good middle guys, closer is the missing piece or we'd be second in west right now. Closer situation has to be fixed now and may even have to play matchup and go one pitcher at a time to face different hitters in the 9th if we can't do it any other way. Hujsak has been my favorite since last year when he should've been playing and wasn't and he didn't pout but played his butt off when we used him. He's a gamer, a hustler, a baller and a very good athlete. Let's get at least 6 out of next 9

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I don’t see 10 teams in tourney.
    Based on what? SEC got 10 teams last year and it looks even stronger this year. The West Coast is garbage. I'm not sure at this point that 11 teams isnt possible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Based on what? SEC got 10 teams last year and it looks even stronger this year. The West Coast is garbage. I'm not sure at this point that 11 teams isnt possible
    Yeah I think 10 for sure and could very well be 11. The conference is head and shoulders above anything else and everyone know it.

vCash
    Question to you guys who know far more about baseball than me. When recruiting, do you evaluate & project a HS pitcher who looks to be a future closer or look for a JC closer (who everyone wants if for real)? We have not had that guy since Sims went to a starting role and then was quickly injured.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-31-2024 at 08:50 PM.

vCash
    It's been a decent season so far, but we should have at least 2 more SEC wins, and probably would with a better head coach.

Nonetheless, we have a lot of talent and have a chance to push for a hosting spot, and should have a shot to make it all the way to Omaha this year. And we need to, given that we'll be losing a lot to the draft this summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Question to you guys who know far more about baseball than me. When recruiting, do you evaluate & project a HS pitcher who looks to be a future closer or look for a JC closer (who every wants if for real)? We have not had that guy since Sims went to a starting role and then was quickly injured.
    Coaches differ here on recruiting- but my eye would always look for the toughness of the kid in addition to his talent.

Remember reading the story about Calvin Schiraldi that pitched at Texas in college in the early 80's. Was in the Mets organization and showed great promise. But they noticed he was a choker. Traded him to the Red Sox.

1986- Mets play the Red Sox for the WS title. On to pitch for Boston in 2 huge games? Calvin Schiraldi. Choked both times. Mets win the WS

vCash
    Because 4-10 will beat each other up. Fact is may be 4-10 teams in that 13 win range. Very balance league. Big weekend for our game against Georgia this weekend. Got to win home series.

vCash
    Because 4-10 will beat each other up. Fact is may be 4-10 teams in that 13 win range. Very balance league. Big weekend for our game against Georgia this weekend. Got to win home series.
    agree but the numbers will be what they will be. It will be shocking if the SEC doesnt get 10 at this point

vCash
    agree but the numbers will be what they will be. It will be shocking if the SEC doesnt get 10 at this point
    As long as we get in. I don’t see Auburn nor Ole Dixie getting in.

vCash
    Question to you guys who know far more about baseball than me. When recruiting, do you evaluate & project a HS pitcher who looks to be a future closer or look for a JC closer (who everyone wants if for real)? We have not had that guy since Sims went to a starting role and then was quickly injured.
    All of the dudes in high school are starters. Sims was a starter and remember he wanted to be a starter at MSU and he was his junior year. You simply try to sign the best arms possible and then roles emerge based on need, makeup and arsenal of pitches.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I think State is top 5 from what I?ve seen? If not top 4. I have not seen Vandy.

I hope Dohm is gonna close.

Pull a Landon Sims 2.

vCash
    As long as we get in. I don’t see Auburn nor Ole Dixie getting in.
    Ok? SEC has 14 teams. Mizzou, Auburn, and Mississippi may continue to tank. That leaves 11 SEC teams fighting for postseason. All 11 are in the mix right now

vCash
    CS married a girl I went out with at State. She was really nice? Him not so much? They actually met when he was in Jackson.

vCash
    When you are recruiting you're trying to find the best high schools arms possible and then you let the chips fall where they may. When you get a class with several arms you know going in that only three of those are the potential SEC starters so then from there you can try to predict who the closers are potentially going to be.

Junior college is good for bullpen role guys like Schulke. I don't think you want to look for a closer there in this era. You're probably better off looking in the portal for a closer than you are JUCO. We found a pretty good one last year in Aaron Nixon who I wish was back.

vCash
    ok- we are 3 series into the SEC season. Let's take a look:

1. UPig's pitching is top notch. They are a good baseball team. Def the SEC's best. Candy has a great record but they were given an easy start to the SEC scheduling-wise.

2. Is the Kentucky Clown Show for real? Helluva start by them but let's remember- two of their three opponents are the SEC's worst teams. They can hit the baseball but their pitching has questions needed answering

3. LSU becomes the 3rd straight team to struggle after winning the Natty. 2-7 in the SEC with their next 2 series being home to Candy and at Tennessee. This bunch could end up being 4-11 at the halfway point.

4. Florida has some holes but they are talented. We should have swept that ass but they found a way.

5. Lots of teams in the middle. State, Georgia, Bama, Tenn, A&M, and SC.

6. Surprised Auburn is this bad but I think they may still beat out Mississippi for the last SEC Tourney spot. Tough year for Butch. But it happens even in successful programs

7. SEC has 10 ranked teams and probably gets 10 into the Tourney again.

8. Tough weekend to be a State fan. You know you are ok at 4-5 right now....but damnnnnnnnn...not having a closer has lost this team 5 games already. Dohm- if really ready to return this weekend- has to become the guy. We have some guys to start- but we dont have a Finisher right now. This has got to get solved asap.

9. We now understand that our team is pretty good and will be in the NCAA's. These next 3 weeks needs a 6-3 for us to get into a hosting role.

10. I told you HugeSak was going to hit!!!!! (I wont let that one die)
    I've seen enough. The team is legit, but we have to find a closer or that's going to bite us all year. Tall task though. That role is either you have it or you don't.

vCash
    I remember me and you both being on the Hujsak train. Dude just has all the tools

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Cocaine and an attitude could get it done. Let?s get some nose candy for the next guy up and cut him loose. John Rocker style. I want someone with some juice.