Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is heartbreaking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    When did Bednar appear and when did Sims to appear in 2021?

Would be interesting to know. Maybe we have time for others to click.
    Landon appeared Game 1. Shut down Texas.

Bednar got injured and was out a few weeks but pitched really well on the road against LSU in the first SEC series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I mean I get you want to change, but who are you going to go to? Hardin pitched last night. You had already burned Schuelke. Did you really want to run Auger or Davis out there again? So that leaves you, realistically, with Kohn, Black, possibly Stevens, Holcombe, Dotson, or Cheatham. I mean would you rather have seen any of those guys?
    Pre-game today, Lemonis bragged to an interviewer about having a lot left in the bull pen. He used 2, Two, TWO of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Landon appeared Game 1. Shut down Texas.

Bednar got injured and was out a few weeks but pitched really well on the road against LSU in the first SEC series.
    Yes, but both really started dealing very late in the season. The Bednar of the CWS was nowhere to be found throughout the season. He was a good Saturday starter. In the CWS, he was an automatic win.
    Sims was "allowed" to pitch 1-2 innings per weekend after that opening game against Texas. He hardly ever threw more than once per weekend during the regular season. As the season went on, he would throw 3 innings to close out a game.
    There was some really good coaching in that 2021 season that won our Natty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Yes, but both really started dealing very late in the season. The Bednar of the CWS was nowhere to be found throughout the season. He was a good Saturday starter. In the CWS, he was an automatic win.
    Sims was "allowed" to pitch 1-2 innings per weekend after that opening game against Texas. He hardly ever threw more than once per weekend during the regular season. As the season went on, he would throw 3 innings to close out a game.
    There was some really good coaching in that 2021 season that won our Natty.
    You got that right. The staff did an outstanding job handling the staff and game management that year.

vCash
    Let me say this also. People who have played ball should understand it. I consistently hear about this player needs to show some stones, or this guy has big balls, or this guy needs to nut up. It’s different sophomoric sayings for a player “getting it done”. But don’t ever forget than in athletics, the other guy always has a say-so. Sometimes a pitcher is confident, locked-in, and throws the perfect pitch, but the hitter hits the crap out of it. So it’s not a lack of testicular fortitude. Other times a pitcher is scared to death, timid, and throws a crappy pitch, only to watch the batter whiff. Then everyone talks about how he nutted up. The opponent always gets a say-so. It’s what makes the three major sports so great. In golf, it’s just you and the ball, club, and course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Let me say this also. People who have played ball should understand it. I consistently hear about this player needs to show some stones, or this guy has big balls, or this guy needs to nut up. It?s different sophomoric sayings for a player ?getting it done?. But don?t ever forget than in athletics, the other guy always has a say-so. Sometimes a pitcher is confident, locked-in, and throws the perfect pitch, but the hitter hits the crap out of it. So it?s not a lack of testicular fortitude. Other times a pitcher is scared to death, timid, and throws a crappy pitch, only to watch the batter whiff. Then everyone talks about how he nutted up. The opponent always gets a say-so. It?s what makes the three major sports so great. In golf, it?s just you and the ball, club, and course.
    Man I wished more people understood this. Nobody wanted it more than me but that "want to" would've not helped me one bit against Nolan
    Ryan. These kids are out there giving everything they've got and for people to say they don't have stones or are soft is ridiculous and a cop out. These kids put in hours of hours of work before most of us get up in the morning and late after classes. If you've been to this level you know what I'm talking about. I love this post and thank you for posting this!

ETA: example from today. Bryce Chance smokes a ball that probably would've been a game winner but the other guy makes a highlight play. So did chance lacks stones there because he made an out with runners on? Heck no!
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-31-2024 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    My definition of "stones" is he is tuff. Nut up to me is tough or toughness. I don't think of it being negative. But I do see athletes who are soft.
    I would have put a left handed pitcher in the ninth to face Fl left handed slugger and told our pitcher to "nut up and let everyone know you got stones"! LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    My definition of "stones" is he is tuff. Nut up to me is tough or toughness. I don't think of it being negative. But I do see athletes who are soft.
    I would have put a left handed pitcher in the ninth to face Fl left handed slugger and told our pitcher to "nut up and let everyone know you got stones"! LOL
    I said it last night. At this point we need to mix and match to close games because we don't have a closer. If we have to use multiple pitchers to close do it. Yeah I would've brought in a lefty and then a righty to face the next hitters and go left right if I had to. We need a closer bad it's the missing piece. Last 3 outs are the toughest in baseball and why closers make so much money!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I said it last night. At this point we need to mix and match to close games because we don't have a closer. If we have to use multiple pitchers to close do it. Yeah I would've brought in a lefty and then a righty to face the next hitters and go left right if I had to. We need a closer bad it's the missing piece. Last 3 outs are the toughest in baseball and why closers make so much money!
    I figured you would go left to left, right to right. After the hit batter to start the ninth, I think it made him anxious. I would have loved to see our freshman Stevens, I just like what I’ve seen of him. Yes he struggled Friday but I just think he can handle pressure. He just needs to pitch to gain experience.

vCash
    Understood. And I don’t disagree. But the pitcher could have done that very thing and still gotten hit. He could have nutted up, let everyone know he has stones, and still gotten hit. Because the batter gets a say-so.

I agree that toughness is good. It’s not negative. But toughness doesn’t guarantee success. And failure doesn’t necessarily mean you were soft. Toughness does greatly improve your chances for success.
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 03-31-2024 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    I figured you would go left to left, right to right. After the hit batter to start the ninth, I think it made him anxious. I would have loved to see our freshman Stevens, I just like what I’ve seen of him. Yes he struggled Friday but I just think he can handle pressure. He just needs to pitch to gain experience.
    Yeah I go lefty on cag and throw nothing but sliders and that's stevens best pitch. Then go to a righty after him.

vCash
    Understood. And I don’t disagree. But the pitcher could have done that very thing and still gotten hit. He could have nutted up, let everyone know he has stones, and still gotten hit. Because the batter gets a say-so.

I agree that toughness is good. It’s not negative. But toughness doesn’t guarantee success. And failure doesn’t necessarily mean you were soft.
    Baseball is just so different. Pitcher/hitter with it on the line, there's just nothing else like it in sports imo.

vCash
    No doubt, it goes both ways. I didn’t question our pitcher in the ninth. He just made a mistake pitch, I would have changed pitchers after hit batsman.

vCash
    No doubt, it goes both ways. I didn?t question our pitcher in the ninth. He just made a mistake pitch, I would have changed pitchers after hit batsman.
    I agree with you 100%. Base you know the game well and you know baseball is the most second guessed, hindsighted game there is, which ironically is what makes it special

vCash
    Man I wished more people understood this. Nobody wanted it more than me but that "want to" would've not helped me one bit against Nolan
    Ryan. These kids are out there giving everything they've got and for people to say they don't have stones or are soft is ridiculous and a cop out. These kids put in hours of hours of work before most of us get up in the morning and late after classes. If you've been to this level you know what I'm talking about. I love this post and thank you for posting this!

ETA: example from today. Bryce Chance smokes a ball that probably would've been a game winner but the other guy makes a highlight play. So did chance lacks stones there because he made an out with runners on? Heck no!
    In general I would agree, however last year?s team was soft as a kitten. They had no heart and no obvious leadership group. Could?ve been youth/maturity because this team has it.

2022 was similar but gloating when some had no business gloating.

vCash
    I agree with you 100%. Base you know the game well and you know baseball is the most second guessed, hindsighted game there is, which ironically is what makes it special
    Take him out, leave him in, LOL. 24 I never coached baseball, my Dad coached little league and what was call Dixie seniors for over 20 years. He was a fundamentalist, throw strikes don’t walk them, and don’t stand out the plate and take strike 3. He won lots of championships,LOL.

We need to get together and go to a game. I have connections to great seats.

vCash
    Take him out, leave him in, LOL. 24 I never coached baseball, my Dad coached little league and what was call Dixie seniors for over 20 years. He was a fundamentalist, throw strikes don’t walk them, and don’t stand out the plate and take strike 3. He won lots of championships,LOL.

We need to get together and go to a game. I have connections to great seats.
    Man I'd love that! Just say when.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    In general I would agree, however last year?s team was soft as a kitten. They had no heart and no obvious leadership group. Could?ve been youth/maturity because this team has it.

2022 was similar but gloating when some had no business gloating.
    I can agree with that.

vCash
    Man I'd love that! Just say when.
    Ok. You can drive up to Brandon and ride with me.

vCash
    Ok. You can drive up to Brandon and ride with me.
    Cool with me.