Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is heartbreaking

vCash

This is heartbreaking

But by damn we are competitive. If that was the number six team in the country, I like where we are right now. We got to get fully healthy and get us a closer. We are closer than I expected we would be and this beats the hell out of of last year. At least they made a hit to win it and we didnt give it away, although you can?t grove a pitch to their best hitter in a chance for them to win it. And boy was it grooved. Just heartbreaking.

vCash
    Yep agreed.

vCash
    Tough tough lost. I just knew when we hit the first batter it wasn't gonna go our way. I'm betting most of us on ED had that thought. Pitching was good this weekend except for two 9th innings. Not sure we can solve this problem this year. We have two good starters and 3 or 4 good middle relievers but no closer which we haven't had since Sims went down two years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    But by damn we are competitive. If that was the number six team in the country, I like where we are right now. We got to get fully healthy and get us a closer. We are closer than I expected we would be and this beats the hell out of of last year. At least they made a hit to win it and we didnt give it away, although you can?t grove a pitch to their best hitter in a chance for them to win it. And boy was it grooved. Just heartbreaking.
    All this is true. BUT, I put both losses this squarely on pitching DECISIONS!! Stayed with the lefthander way, way, way too long Friday night, and stayed with Siary way, way too long today. Their lineup had already seen him for corn's sake; time for a change in the 9th inning. And in any event, he should have been yanked when he hit the first batter. Just insane pitching decisions both Friday and today. If it's Lemonhead, then once again he's showing he's dumber than dirt. If it's the new pitching coach, then he ain't very smart either.

I'm venting somewhat here, but damn, this was a disappointing weekend for two out of three nights!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schddog72 View Post
    All this is true. BUT, I put both losses this squarely on pitching DECISIONS!! Stayed with the lefthander way, way, way too long Friday night, and stayed with Siary way, way too long today. Their lineup had already seen him for corn's sake; time for a change in the 9th inning. And in any event, he should have been yanked when he hit the first batter. Just insane pitching decisions both Friday and today. If it's Lemonhead, then once again he's showing he's dumber than dirt. If it's the new pitching coach, then he ain't very smart either.

I'm venting somewhat here, but damn, this was a disappointing weekend for two out of three nights!!
    I mean I get you want to change, but who are you going to go to? Hardin pitched last night. You had already burned Schuelke. Did you really want to run Auger or Davis out there again? So that leaves you, realistically, with Kohn, Black, possibly Stevens, Holcombe, Dotson, or Cheatham. I mean would you rather have seen any of those guys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I mean I get you want to change, but who are you going to go to? Hardin pitched last night. You had already burned Schuelke. Did you really want to run Auger or Davis out there again? So that leaves you, realistically, with Kohn, Black, possibly Stevens, Holcombe, Dotson, or Cheatham. I mean would you rather have seen any of those guys?
    After hit batter I would have gone to one of the lefty guys. Just my opinion. We had a few arms and I realize it's all a gamble but too late to over think now.

vCash
    Stevens would have been a good choice.

vCash

I have disagreed with a couple pitching decisions myself. We have the benefit of hindsight but I also was bitching to myself when we made the change Friday night. We just got to get a little bit better and find a closer. We beat their best pitcher today and just gave it up at the end to their best hitter, who just so happens to be their best pitcher. Still can’t believe he grooved that pitch!!!
    Last edited by Bdawg; 03-31-2024 at 05:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My thought too. Just hope Friday wasn’t in his head, but if he had any nuts about him, he would want the ball.

vCash
    How far we have fallen. Much better than last two years but MSSTATE baseball should never be satisfied with losing a series, especially one we should have swept

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I doubt you want to run the guy who gave the up the walk off Friday night into another tight situation where the opportunity to give up a walk off again exists. If he gives up that homer you might as well sit him for the rest of the year. He would be done mentally. Again, I think people are just looking for someone to blame. We only gave up 4 hits the entire day. We lost because we walked 6 and hit 5. Siary and Schuelke both pitched out of jams and Ligon held his own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    After hit batter I would have gone to one of the lefty guys. Just my opinion. We had a few arms and I realize it's all a gamble but too late to over think now.
    I totally agree with you, especially considering you're facing their best player who is a lefty. Left on left just made a lot of sense to me.

vCash
    I doubt you want to run the guy who gave the up the walk off Friday night into another tight situation where the opportunity to give up a walk off again exists. If he gives up that homer you might as well sit him for the rest of the year. He would be done mentally. Again, I think people are just looking for someone to blame. We only gave up 4 hits the entire day. We lost because we walked 6 and hit 5. Siary and Schuelke both pitched out of jams and Ligon held his own.
    I disagree, I would put Steven's, we need help and we need to find out who has stones. Stevens seems to be a cool mature guy. Hell, it could not be any worse what happened!

vCash

People were literally complaining about losing for the exact opposite reason Friday night. People complained the Shulk was dealing and taking him out cost us the game. Today Siary was dealing (did he hit a batter to start the 9th? yes, but had been solid otherwise) and you're complaining because we didn't pull him? Can't have it both ways. Don't forget we also had a chance to blow the doors open with bases loaded and instead flew out to end the inning (credit to the Florida player made a heck of diving playing)

Did pitching let us down in both games to get walked off in the 9th? Yes. But as far as pitching decisions go I don't have a problem with the moves we made and overall we pitched really well outside of the 8th inning on Friday that let Florida back in and gave them all the momentum. Too easy in hindsight to say what we should've done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    People were literally complaining about losing for the exact opposite reason Friday night. People complained the Shulk was dealing and taking him out cost us the game. Today Siary was dealing (did he hit a batter to start the 9th? yes, but had been solid otherwise) and you're complaining because we didn't pull him? Can't have it both ways. Don't forget we also had a chance to blow the doors open with bases loaded and instead flew out to end the inning (credit to the Florida player made a heck of diving playing)

Did pitching let us down in both games to get walked off in the 9th? Yes. But as far as pitching decisions go I don't have a problem with the moves we made and overall we pitched really well outside of the 8th inning on Friday that let Florida back in and gave them all the momentum. Too easy in hindsight to say what we should've done.
    We hindsight a lot lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    How far we have fallen. Much better than last two years but MSSTATE baseball should never be satisfied with losing a series, especially one we should have swept
    I’m far from satisfied but trying to see the progress. We should have never fallen this low after a natty, but we have had a tough SEC schedule so far this year too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I?m not pleased with what happened after 2021 but this team would beat the dog$hit out of last year?s team. If they can continue to play with the same effort and grit, it will come together for a host.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    I?m not pleased with what happened after 2021 but this team would beat the dog$hit out of last year?s team. If they can continue to play with the same effort and grit, it will come together for a host.
    You are 100% right about that! This years team has some stones.

vCash
    When did Bednar appear and when did Sims to appear in 2021?

Would be interesting to know. Maybe we have time for others to click.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post

Pulling Schuelke Friday night is one of the decisions I was referring to.
    Siary is not overpowering; UF had seen him through the lineup, so logic says it's time for a change.
    Once Siary hit the first batter how can you not pull him?
    And, how can you leave a right-handed Siary in to face UF's best hitter, who happens to hit left-handed?
    These are 4 pitching decisions which can be legitimately debated!!