Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Flarda game 1 thread.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Dohm has to close.

If he?s healthy.
    This is probably the only correct answer to our issue. Move him to the backend, let Schuelke be the SU man, and move Siary into the rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Choking tonight sux
    It's happened too much over the last 3 seasons to just shrug it off. Lemonis is the common denominator. We underachieve because he's not a very good coach. It's good that he recruited well enough to probably get back to a Regional (after missing one twice) in spite of his subpar coaching, but we can do better.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I hope kohler pulls through this.

But if he does not, can Cupp play 3rd?

vCash
    I hope kohler pulls through this.

But if he does not, can Cupp play 3rd?
    You are subbing one bad bat for another at that point. I could have sworn Downs played some 3B for us last year.

vCash
    You are right for now.

But I think Cupp is a work in progress.

Kohler is a finished product.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Agree- but you and I both know that wasnt on Lemon. Davis choked. Thats on Parker
    That's funny. It's on the second pitching coach that lemonis was in charge of hiring to replace the first pitching coach that sucked that he was responsible for hiring. But lemonis is not responsible....

vCash
    I can.not see what Lemonis did wrong.

Players screw up sometimes.. they gotta make plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is probably the only correct answer to our issue. Move him to the backend, let Schuelke be the SU man, and move Siary into the rotation.
    I've always liked Dohm better as a relief pitcher. I like that idea.

I'd give Loftin and Ligon a chance to start too.

vCash

Tonight is forgivable in a vacuum, but Lemonis is now 21-46 in the SEC over the last 3 seasons. That's just disgraceful. Even a decent-but-not-great coach should be able to get to .500 in the SEC over the course of multiple seasons. Cohen did it starting in year 3 once he fixed our issues. Cann did it. Henderson did it.

Lemonis did it early on himself, but is now 61-66 in his career. Does anyone really think Lemonis will ever be above .500 in career conference games again here?

vCash
    As frustrating as Lemonis can be at times tonight isn?t on him. Davis couldn?t hit the broad side of a barn, Auger wasn?t perfect, Kohler had the 3rd out and couldn?t handle it, Stevens had out 3 in a 3-2 count and bounced ball 4 in front of the plate. Simply put, the players in the field failed to close out the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Davis has done his job all year. He didn't have it tonight. Pitchers ain't gonna have it everytime out. It sucks this game should've been over. Even as bad as the last 2 innings were Kohler has to make that play we win.
    Seemingly nobody had it. Besides Davis, Auger didn't have it and Stephens didn't have it. Stephens did at least get us the ground ball that Kohler should have made the play on but on the next hitter he just needed on more strike with a 2-2 count and threw 2 balls IN THE DIRT. Which means he didn't have the guts as a Freshman to deal with the situation. While we actually have pretty good talent we are soft. None of our guys deal with pressure situations. That's why we couldn't complete the comeback in the 9-8 loss to LSU and why we lost tonight. All 3 of our wins so far have come by 5 runs or more. When the pressure is on in a close game we fold when playing a tough conference opponent. Against midweek opponents we seem to do alright but the pressure there isn't the same.

vCash

100%!

I don?t see how this is on any coach what so ever. This was a total
    Meltdown by players themselves, specifically pitchers. But they were not asked to do too much. We had plenty of cushion to give up hits.

Abysmal meltdown by the RELIEVERS. The coach can?t theow the ball for them. 17in perform and close out the game like the dawgs you guys are. If a player parent is on here, then tell that to your son. I would tell mine hey. ?You guys lost that game yourselves, not your coaches. Take ownership.?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Tonight is forgivable in a vacuum, but Lemonis is now 21-46 in the SEC over the last 3 seasons. That's just disgraceful. Even a decent-but-not-great coach should be able to get to .500 in the SEC over the course of multiple seasons. Cohen did it starting in year 3 once he fixed our issues. Cann did it. Henderson did it.

Lemonis did it early on himself, but is now 61-66 in his career. Does anyone really think Lemonis will ever be above .500 in career conference games again here?
    So here's a bit of research comparing Lemonis to coaches that have been fired in the league in the last few years.

Chris Lemonis 2019-2023 SEC Record: 58-62
    Scott Stricklin(fmr. UGA Coach) 2019-2023 SEC Record: 60-60
    Rob Childress(fmr A&M coach) 2017-2021 SEC Record: 54-65-1
    Chad Holbrook (fmr USCe HC) 2013-2017 SEC Record: 64-55
    Steve Pieser (fmr. Mizzou HC) 2019-2023 SEC Record: 41-78-1
    Gary Henderson (UK) 2013-2016 SEC Record: 54-65/15-15 in one season at State

So using this data....Lemonis had a worse stretch than 2 of those fired coaches and only slightly better than two others. Just goes to show he should've been fired last year. Like how long are we going to let him coast on a national championship? I mean if we make the tournament this year is that going to keep him? I'm afraid it would be enough reason for some to say he deserves another year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    100%!

I don?t see how this is on any coach what so ever. This was a total
    Meltdown by players themselves, specifically pitchers. But they were not asked to do too much. We had plenty of cushion to give up hits.

Abysmal meltdown by the RELIEVERS. The coach can?t theow the ball for them. 17in perform and close out the game like the dawgs you guys are. If a player parent is on here, then tell that to your son. I would tell mine hey. ?You guys lost that game yourselves, not your coaches. Take ownership.?
    The issue is, and Quaoarsking hit the nail on the head, that in a vacuum this loss is not that big of a deal. It is the fact that we've lost THIS EXACT WAY far too many times in the last 3 years. Like at a certain point it stops being about the players and it becomes about the coach that recruits the players. We are a year past that point.

vCash
    The issue is, and Quaoarsking hit the nail on the head, that in a vacuum this loss is not that big of a deal. It is the fact that we've lost THIS EXACT WAY far too many times in the last 3 years. Like at a certain point it stops being about the players and it becomes about the coach that recruits the players. We are a year past that point.
    True. But not the pitching coach. He?s done well.

So, it rests with one.

Still, we take one this weekend, we are good to go.

vCash
    At Miss State baseball it has to be

1) players are recruited here becauase they are "elite"
    2) they have to make plays
    3) if they dont enough times, we have to find someone who will
    4) repeat

Just the way it is.

That being said...nobody on this years team has done enough bad to be given up on. Players have bad days.

They'll play good tomorrow, most likely.

Go State

vCash
    It's an issue if it happens consistently. Like last year we had multiple games where the pitching staff let us down. Tonight has been the second time this season the bullpen really melted down that I can remember- Austin Peay being the other. At this point- I can't say that's a consistent issue. Everyone does have a game like this in SEC baseball usually. Unfortunately for us it happened tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Seemingly nobody had it. Besides Davis, Auger didn't have it and Stephens didn't have it. Stephens did at least get us the ground ball that Kohler should have made the play on but on the next hitter he just needed on more strike with a 2-2 count and threw 2 balls IN THE DIRT. Which means he didn't have the guts as a Freshman to deal with the situation. While we actually have pretty good talent we are soft. None of our guys deal with pressure situations. That's why we couldn't complete the comeback in the 9-8 loss to LSU and why we lost tonight. All 3 of our wins so far have come by 5 runs or more. When the pressure is on in a close game we fold when playing a tough conference opponent. Against midweek opponents we seem to do alright but the pressure there isn't the same.
    We've only had 2 games decided by one run and only played 7 sec games. To call this team soft is way premature and judging by the way they bust their ass on the field and how well we're hitting with risp and two outs wipes out the soft theory. This team is anything but soft. They play hard and intense. Let's see how it looks at the end of the season.

ETA the lsu comeback wasn't completed because lsu made a heckuva a throw and tag at the plate in the 8th to keep us from tying. And to comeback from down 9-2 to the defending and coming within that play of tying is the opposite of soft.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-30-2024 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's an issue if it happens consistently. Like last year we had multiple games where the pitching staff let us down. Tonight has been the second time this season the bullpen really melted down that I can remember- Austin Peay being the other. At this point- I can't say that's a consistent issue. Everyone does have a game like this in SEC baseball usually. Unfortunately for us it happened tonight.
    This. I know everyone has ptsd from the last 2 seasons but this team is different and it's obvious. These games happen to everyone. Still sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Air Force. Blew a lead in the 9th. South Al, blew a lead in the 9th. The issue I was pointing to is that we cannot close late games. It has been a Lemonis staple since 2022.