Thread: A discussion on Jett Johnson

vCash

A discussion on Jett Johnson

Does anybody on here know his real speed? I just keep thinking he may be the next Sean Lee. He can command a defense and I just feel like his work ethic will take him further than what he is projected.

vCash
    Great question and point. He looks extremely slow when you watch him run, yet he seemed to be the first player to the ball every play. Great instincts and intelligent.

vCash
    He's not Sean Lee at all. His lack of speed hurts him tremendously unless he goes to a team that keeps blocks off him and he can run free. However, he still will not be able to run down plays on the edges.

vCash
    He doesn't have top end speed and he is abused in pass coverage 9 times out of 10. That does not bode well at the next level. Most of Jett's tackles came in between the hashes. I mean maybe he could be a short down in the box LB at the next level but I just don't see that being a possibility because he would need to put on weight to do that and he cannot afford to lose any more speed. There will be a team that takes a chance on him with a FA signing and invites him to rookie camp.

It's ok to say he was a great college LB but he is not going to translate to the next level. We have had a lot of really good to great LBs that didn't translate. Cam Lawrence, Errol Thompson, Matt Wells, Richie Brown, etc. And to be honest, Bookie doesn't translate well either. He will get drafted late strictly off measurables but he is not much faster than Jett and is about equally as bad in pass coverage. The Willie Gay hybrid LBs are what the pros look for now.

vCash
    Special teams guy on the next level maybe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Special teams guy on the next level maybe?
    In what capacity? When speed is his biggest issue, special teams would not hide those issues. It would highlight them.

vCash
    Jett is good for Goal line or 4th and short situations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    He doesn't have top end speed and he is abused in pass coverage 9 times out of 10. That does not bode well at the next level. Most of Jett's tackles came in between the hashes. I mean maybe he could be a short down in the box LB at the next level but I just don't see that being a possibility because he would need to put on weight to do that and he cannot afford to lose any more speed. There will be a team that takes a chance on him with a FA signing and invites him to rookie camp.

It's ok to say he was a great college LB but he is not going to translate to the next level. We have had a lot of really good to great LBs that didn't translate. Cam Lawrence, Errol Thompson, Matt Wells, Richie Brown, etc. And to be honest, Bookie doesn't translate well either. He will get drafted late strictly off measurables but he is not much faster than Jett and is about equally as bad in pass coverage. The Willie Gay hybrid LBs are what the pros look for now.
    Lots of truth in here. There are some players who are simply made for the college game, but don’t fit the pro game. Darryl Wilson in basketball is a good example. I don’t think Jett fits today’s NFL. He would have a much better chance of making the NFL 30 years ago.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I hope Jett does great. Pulling for him.
    He is going to make one hell of a Senator some day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post

James 38 Special Williams would be a hoss in todays NFL