Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We came out of college station with one win

Banned
    vCash

We came out of college station with one win

That?s all I could expect. Now get atleast 1 next weekend in Gainesville and I?m satisfied. Come back home and win 2 against Georgia. We are better than I think most folks thought. We are a 2 seed type tourney team. Much improved over last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    That?s all I could expect. Now get atleast 1 next weekend in Gainesville and I?m satisfied. Come back home and win 2 against Georgia. We are better than I think most folks thought. We are a 2 seed type tourney team. Much improved over last year.
    Yep. If you told me we?d win LSU series and take 1 from A&M first 2 weeks we would all take that and be happy. Let?s find a way to steal a series on the road next week

vCash
    Yep. We are 3-3. We need to win our midweek, then get 1 or 2 in Gainesville. Very important to avoid the sweep.

vCash
    I guess I saw something different.
    I saw an Aggie team with very talented young players, and pitchers, and all Schloss's recruits and transfers .

What I saw was a Lemonis team that even with a national championship, looks more on a decline that what I am seeing with these top SEC teams.
    Does he really keep his job this season for being middle of the pack? He squandered opportunities to keep momentum the past 2 seasons.
    Somehow he has lowered our expectations and excitement to something less than Omaha.

And this year, the praise goes to Parker, for turning things around with what he inherited. We do have good pitchers. But more that Parker has been the big reason we are competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I saw an Aggie team with very talented young players, and pitchers, and all Schloss's recruits and transfers .

What I saw was a Lemonis team that even with a national championship, looks more on a decline that what I am seeing with these top SEC teams.
    Does he really keep his job this season for being middle of the pack? He squandered opportunities to keep momentum the past 2 seasons.
    Somehow he has lowered our expectations and excitement to something less than Omaha.

And this year, the praise goes to Parker, for turning things around with what he inherited. We do have good pitchers. But more that Parker has been the big reason we are competing.
    Ummm... even our best teams would be happy with 3-3 after playing 2 top 10 teams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ummm... even our best teams would be happy with 3-3 after playing 2 top 10 teams
    I am happy at being 3-3.
    My comments was what I am seeing other teams stocking up for this year and next with talent that we do not have. What has Lemonis been doing . Other than 2 MS HS players that wanted to come to MSU, what else has he stacked on the lineup.

vCash
    I am happy at being 3-3.
    My comments was what I am seeing other teams stocking up for this year and next with talent that we do not have. What has Lemonis been doing . Other than 2 MS HS players that wanted to come to MSU, what else has he stacked on the lineup.
    No problem with those questions. We do seem to have the talent to compete though, so I'll give him a pass for now

vCash
    We need to have mind set of winning every series. I ain’t buying thinking let’s win one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    We need to have mind set of winning every series. I ain’t buying thinking let’s win one.
    Sure that would be nice, but it's not always a realistic goal at some venues.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Well so for we have played well, but there is a long way to go and we need to keep winning games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Sure that would be nice, but it's not always a realistic goal at some venues.
    Aggies may be one of the best in Sec, we need to win the Florida series. They haven’t lived up to expectations so far

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Aggies may be one of the best in Sec, we need to win the Florida series. They haven’t lived up to expectations so far
    They beat aTm 2-1 at home last week, and they lost last night at lsu. They're 2-2.

vCash
    People were worried we would go 0-9 or 1-8 to start the SEC- we are sitting at 3-3 and in a good spot heading into next week. We are ranked.

If you arent happy with baseball right now- you just choose not to be. As far as Parker goes, he has done a good job but this was what was expected out of this staff this year. I've been saying it for months. Parker even said it himself- "most talented staff he has ever coached"
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    People were worried we would go 0-9 or 1-8 to start the SEC- we are sitting at 3-3 and in a good spot heading into next week. We are ranked.

If you arent happy with baseball right now- you just choose not to be. As far as Parker goes, he has done a good job but this was what was expected out of this staff this year. I've been saying it for months. Parker even said it himself- "most talented staff he has ever coached"
    This is 100% correct!

Banned
    vCash

Yup

vCash

I have to agree.

vCash
    I think we can say we're a top 25, maybe top 20 team. Good enough to steal a game or series vs anybody if we come in particularly hot, but also we can drop a series vs unranked teams.

All in all we're better than I thought we'd be, but still not at the "State level" of competing for hosting.

If we get into the Host conversation I'll be happy with keeping Lemo. If we aren't in the hosting convo BUT win a regional, I'll be happy with keeping lemo. If we continue to look like a top 25 team and playing hard, I'm fine with keeping lemo even if we get bounced as a 2 seed, but I'm not excited about him coming back in that case. Remember this is an "up" year in the cycle, next year we will likely be worse.

Watching Montgomery tee off on us really added insult to injury. We HAVE to be able to get an extra elite player from the Portal to add to the home grown talent, and Lemo failed. So I'm probably being more negative overall than I should be because of that

vCash

I think our roster construction for this year is more about us having a lot of coaching changes between 2016-2019 which is when many of these juniors would have been recruited and Foxhall not being very good causing us to lose or not develop some pitchers. I think that hurt us in the portal some too.

But I don't think we're on a decline. We were 0-6 in the SEC at this point last year with one of the sweeps being to Kentucky in which we were run ruled at least once. (Yikes!)

I think we're in a soft rebuild essentially. About half of our starters are from the portal. Dohm, Stephen, Long/Powell, Larry, Kohler, and Hujsack. Our most talented players are our freshmen or sophomores right now. And those guys have a LOT of upside. I'm sure we'll lose Dakota Jordan to the draft so I'm not going to include him. But Loo, Loftin, Nolan Stevens, Logan Forsythe, Makhai Grant, Luke Dotson, Black maybe Highfill depending on how his rehab goes, Jackson McKenzie, Mershon, Dylan Cupp, Ethan Pulliam, Rives Reynolds, Spalitta, Chance plus whatever freshmen we bring in next year. I think we're in pretty good shape overall right now as far as the future is concerned. I think we're going to be in a position where we can go after the best available in the portal but at the same time don't have a ton of just glaring needs either other than maybe catcher. I could see us potentially keeping Tyson Hardin and Cam Schuelke for their senior years as well plus Pico should be 100% next year too.

I think we can make a SR this year or at worst a regional but in 2025 and 2026 we look like we potentially have some talented teams like we're used to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I think we can say we're a top 25, maybe top 20 team. Good enough to steal a game or series vs anybody if we come in particularly hot, but also we can drop a series vs unranked teams.

All in all we're better than I thought we'd be, but still not at the "State level" of competing for hosting.

If we get into the Host conversation I'll be happy with keeping Lemo. If we aren't in the hosting convo BUT win a regional, I'll be happy with keeping lemo. If we continue to look like a top 25 team and playing hard, I'm fine with keeping lemo even if we get bounced as a 2 seed, but I'm not excited about him coming back in that case. Remember this is an "up" year in the cycle, next year we will likely be worse.

Watching Montgomery tee off on us really added insult to injury. We HAVE to be able to get an extra elite player from the Portal to add to the home grown talent, and Lemo failed. So I'm probably being more negative overall than I should be because of that
    Losing Dakota Jordan and Hunter Hines will hurt more than anything. But I think our pitching will be much better.

Fri- Stevens?
    Sat- Loftin
    Sun- Loo

Really need a RHP that is elite to start. Hopefully Parker can land someone.

Closer- Forsythe
    Set-up Dotson
    Wild Card- Makhai Grant coming off of Tommy John. If he is healthy he could be the elite RHP we need. It's going to be interesting to see how they use Stevens next year as a true dual position guy.

C- Highfill?/Spalitta/Transfer
    1B- McKenzie
    2B- Mershon
    3B- Transfer or Henry Allen
    SS- Cupp

LF- Chance or Aaron Downs if he comes back as a senior
    CF- Dante Nori- elite freshman who should start day one next year
    RF- Stevens

vCash

Yep. Texas A&M has the second best team ERA in the SEC right now. We scored more than their average allowed in two of the games and almost matched it with the Mopoleon ump show today. It was also our first road trip and without our ace. We handled it OK overall.