Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: For the Old Farts on this Board

vCash

OT: For the Old Farts on this Board

I have now been on this planet for 50 years. As I have approached this age the last few weeks it has caused some serious thinking on my part. I know I won't see 100 so I've already lived the majority of my life. Did that hit home for the rest of you when you realized that fact? I'm not sure I would characterize this as a midlife crisis as I have no desire to buy a sports car and go try to have an affair with somebody half my age. But it has gotten me to wondering have I made a difference. Have I done anything to make this world a better place than when I entered it? Have I done anything to cause anybody to remember when I'm nothing but a memory? I'm not sure that I have and that bothers me. I think we were all put on this planet to make a difference.

I know what I want to do to make a difference and that is that tower cam project my team is working on. I know if we can make that a reality it will end up saving lives. I have busted my *** for several months now trying to get it going and every time I think I make a step forward it always seems to end in another road block and it's frustrating as hell but I refuse to give up. This is not another post for me asking for donations for our non-profit. This is a post asking if any of you have any connections to somebody down in Jackson or with CSpire, tell them I would badly like to request 10 minutes of their time. If any of you have any experience in applying for grants let me know. If we can't get anything done legislatively, we will try to fund this privately through our non-profit by a hopeful combination of grants and corporate sponsorship with individual donations funding our smaller programs we're doing like our weather radio giveaway and disaster relief supplies.

I know lately I've bugged the hell out of everybody with my posts on this, and I hate doing it, but the events of March 24, 2023 changed me forever. Thinking back to what I saw that night still sometimes causes me to break down. I know there is nothing I can do to prevent tornadoes from happening and hitting communities. But I can try everything in my power to keep as many people safe when they do happen and try to help them recover after it's over. So if any of you have any kind of connections you'd be willing to use for the crazy storm chaser you've never met, I would be appreciative to levels beyond your comprehension. Sixpack and Elite came through unbelievably last year when I asked for medical supplies. Those now go out with me and another chaser every time we go out.

vCash
    I'm talking to my State senator. If anyone here is a member of any civic, Rotary etc, ask your members to get the word out for SVD. This is a good cause for them to take up.

vCash
    I'm in my 50s and think about my remaining years too. Based on my family genetics, etc. I probably only got 15 years give or take a few left. I also want to finish strong and well. No matter our age, everyone should take a hard look at their life. No one is promised tomorrow.

There is a book by Bob Buford (sp) called Halftime which is about the very topic you post. The first half of our life is about building and doing stuff, the second half is about significance. He was very successful in business and changed his life at mid life and what he lived for. I have read it years ago, its a very good read for where you are; I'd highly recommend it. I've written a few books and one was called Engineered for Success about how we were made for success in our work and life and how to go about it. It is not on the market any more or I'd tell you to check it out.

None of us will ever find full significance in this life when we live with 100% short term focus of our life and significance in this world. Solomon was the richest and wisest man to ever live. He wrote Ecclesiastes which is a lament on the very topic you posted. He had it all and he came to the conclusion that everything is meaningless outside of knowing God. He summed it all up at end of his writing Ecc. 12:13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the matter; fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Not sure what you believe about God but I'd recommend reading Ecclesiastes and the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) for starters.

By the way we all live, we may all leave a legacy thru others - our kids, family, friends, etc. in how we lived not so much all the accomplishments. Most of our accomplishments will be washed down the drain a few years after we are gone but our soul will remain forever somewhere. My advice for all is to seek God while He may be found. We can't do anything about our past, but we can do much about our future.

vCash
    Appreciate this, just ordered book.

vCash
    Good post.

vCash
    I'm 57 and in better shape than most teens and have a family history that predicts I should live to mid 80s or longer. Even with that, I'm a firm believer in getting everything done I want before 70, 75 at the very latest. I can retire now, but will likely work at least two more years, giving me 10 years, my 60s, to do everything I want to do.

vCash
    i am 64 retirement in July. Covid deployment aged me big time, i am ready to sit on my porch and drink. and yes, mortality is a real thing especially after 60.

vCash
    I'm about to turn 49. The older I get the more I realize money, career, how good your kids are in sports, or whatever doesn't matter. My relationship with the Lord and how I treat my family and others is all that matters. I've had a "good" life and I'll be dead soon enough (even if it's another 30 years it will fly by) but when I die all I really care about is my kids loving the Lord and raising their kids to do the same. It truly is the only thing that will give them peace and purpose in life.

edited: I don't want to be a faceless poster claiming to be something I'm not. My real name is Matt Wright and if anyone ever has a question for me, please DM me. I'm happy to talk.
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 03-17-2024 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I'm about to turn 49. The older I get the more I realize money, career, how good your kids are in sports, or whatever doesn't matter. My relationship with the Lord and how I treat my family and others is all that matters. I've had a "good" life and I'll be dead soon enough (even if it's another 30 years it will fly by) but when I die all I really care about is my kids loving the Lord and raising their kids to do the same. It truly is the only thing that will give them peace and purpose in life.
    ^^^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I'm in my 50s and think about my remaining years too. Based on my family genetics, etc. I probably only got 15 years give or take a few left. I also want to finish strong and well. No matter our age, everyone should take a hard look at their life. No one is promised tomorrow.

There is a book by Bob Buford (sp) called Halftime which is about the very topic you post. The first half of our life is about building and doing stuff, the second half is about significance. He was very successful in business and changed his life at mid life and what he lived for. I have read it years ago, its a very good read for where you are; I'd highly recommend it. I've written a few books and one was called Engineered for Success about how we were made for success in our work and life and how to go about it. It is not on the market any more or I'd tell you to check it out.

None of us will ever find full significance in this life when we live with 100% short term focus of our life and significance in this world. Solomon was the richest and wisest man to ever live. He wrote Ecclesiastes which is a lament on the very topic you posted. He had it all and he came to the conclusion that everything is meaningless outside of knowing God. He summed it all up at end of his writing Ecc. 12:13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the matter; fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Not sure what you believe about God but I'd recommend reading Ecclesiastes and the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) for starters.

By the way we all live, we may all leave a legacy thru others - our kids, family, friends, etc. in how we lived not so much all the accomplishments. Most of our accomplishments will be washed down the drain a few years after we are gone but our soul will remain forever somewhere. My advice for all is to seek God while He may be found. We can't do anything about our past, but we can do much about our future.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just bought the book on Amazon and look forward to reading it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    If any of you have any experience in applying for grants let me know.
    Have you reached out to the UAH Swirll center? When I worked with the NCPA doing some tracking work I reached out to them and they were very receptive. They might want to team up and could certainly point you to the right grants. While I'm thinking about it the NCPA would be a good place to reach out to as well. They do quality work.

vCash
    Hey SVD contact the MSU meteorology dept. They would probably get behind this esp if getting GOVT grants is involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hey SVD contact the MSU meteorology dept. They would probably get behind this esp if getting GOVT grants is involved.
    We were discussing this last night. We have a meeting we're trying to schedule now with a camera company to get a quote from them and some more information. Once we have that then I'm going in hard on seeing who we can partner with to make this happen. It's still all going to hinge on a cell company giving us access to their towers and finding funding. A backup could be water towers, though.

That site dparker mentioned also got my attention. Definitely some new leads to explore

You know if a certain website wanted to become the official MSU message board of NMSC...we have a Facebook reach of 1.4M and engagement of 912K.
    Last edited by starkvegasdawg; 03-19-2024 at 06:43 AM.

vCash
    My wife passed at age 44 in 2008. I have wandered aimlessly since. I did remarry but that is not always great as we are both damaged. Shit happens I guess.

My oldest daughter passed at 39 from cancer in 2019. I have gone into a black hole that I wish on no one.

After my wife's passing, I first bought a motorcycle and road it all across the southern US mostly alone to clear my mind but occasionally I would have a rider. I got complacent and pulled out in front a couple cars and decided to get rid of it. I am not suicidal, I was no longer able to ride safely. What did I do? I bought a freaking airplane and then learned to fly it as there were fewer things to hit up there. I hated flying, it scared the shit out of me every time but I felt alive but had a stroke and lost my health card. I was glad to sell the plane.

I have crested the 60 mark into the last years of my work life. I am wealthy as ever expected to become. I am a high school drop out and frankly I gave up long ago on ever retiring and yet here I am, I own multiple houses, drive a new EV, am respected in my field with a fat 401k for a worker bee and a pension. I could retire today If I wanted to sit down but I won't until... I don't know yet. I know I made a difference and helped others many times. I guess I have that.

Words of wisdom from my late wife, "If it's not Ok, then it's not the end because in the end, everything will be OK." I have not experienced everything is OK yet so it's not over. Any one need mental health counseling? I do and have tried it but I still live with myself.

Good luck with your project, I hope you find your peace where you can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    We were discussing this last night. We have a meeting we're trying to schedule now with a camera company to get a quote from them and some more information. Once we have that then I'm going in hard on seeing who we can partner with to make this happen. It's still all going to hinge on a cell company giving us access to their towers and finding funding. A backup could be water towers, though.

That site dparker mentioned also got my attention. Definitely some new leads to explore

You know if a certain website wanted to become the official MSU message board of NMSC...we have a Facebook reach of 1.4M and engagement of 912K.
    If you need some light image or signal processing or an introduction to at NCPA, reach out.

vCash
    I used to be caught up in the rat race of life until the Lord finally reached me. What is interesting was I was not even looking for the Lord nor even thinking about Him, but He thought of me and instilled in my heart that I needed Him. I was lost in my own little world doing things that pleased me. That was 29 years ago, I am now 65, and I still try to live the way God wants me to live - worshiping Him and loving one another.

I have not been through the hardships some of you guys have, but my heart reaches out to you in faith for peace and happiness. For those that do not know God as Lord and savior, I hope you do. He will give you His peace that is beyond understanding.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

vCash
    There are some good Testaments in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dparker View Post
    If you need some light image or signal processing or an introduction to at NCPA, reach out.
    I have no idea what that processing is but I will forward that info on to our tech guy. I'm just the crazy storm chaser that got named president of our non-profit so now I'm heading up fundraising, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    My wife passed at age 44 in 2008. I have wandered aimlessly since. I did remarry but that is not always great as we are both damaged. Shit happens I guess.

My oldest daughter passed at 39 from cancer in 2019. I have gone into a black hole that I wish on no one.

After my wife's passing, I first bought a motorcycle and road it all across the southern US mostly alone to clear my mind but occasionally I would have a rider. I got complacent and pulled out in front a couple cars and decided to get rid of it. I am not suicidal, I was no longer able to ride safely. What did I do? I bought a freaking airplane and then learned to fly it as there were fewer things to hit up there. I hated flying, it scared the shit out of me every time but I felt alive but had a stroke and lost my health card. I was glad to sell the plane.

I have crested the 60 mark into the last years of my work life. I am wealthy as ever expected to become. I am a high school drop out and frankly I gave up long ago on ever retiring and yet here I am, I own multiple houses, drive a new EV, am respected in my field with a fat 401k for a worker bee and a pension. I could retire today If I wanted to sit down but I won't until... I don't know yet. I know I made a difference and helped others many times. I guess I have that.

Words of wisdom from my late wife, "If it's not Ok, then it's not the end because in the end, everything will be OK." I have not experienced everything is OK yet so it's not over. Any one need mental health counseling? I do and have tried it but I still live with myself.

Good luck with your project, I hope you find your peace where you can.
    Thinking about you brother and praying for you. That's a lot to endure. A verse I came across recently that meant a lot to me is Psalm 94:19 "When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer."
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 03-19-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    I learned a while back that there is nothing on this earth that can make us truly happy. Things in your life will break down. People in your life will let you down. The only true happiness will come from your relationship with God. I pray that all of you who are hurting will find the happiness and peace that only God can give.