Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank God we beat Tenn

vCash

Thank God we beat Tenn

It's chaos out there. We're now in last 4 byes according to lunardi behind aTm, which I don't understand

vCash
    I was just thinking that. If we'd lost to Tennessee, we'd be at best in Dayton and a decent chance we'd be out. We'd definitely be out if we'd lost to LSU.

It's actually still possible they send us to Dayton. A lot of the brackets on BM now have us as one of the last 4 in, with Oregon and NC State stealing bids today, and FAU losing and giving the American a 2nd bid.

The Dayton games are probably going to be for 10-seeds.

vCash
    Saw a lot of people down playing the Tennessee game before we played it, basically saying that we were a lock and it didn't matter.

Those people were wrong. We would've likely gotten left out without that win.

vCash
    https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ld-predictions

Both of the Dayton games are 10-seeds, with the "Last 4 Byes" now are 2 9s (us and A&M) and 2 10s. This is because all of the mid-major teams getting decent seeds this year are coming from either the MWC or WCC, so there are more lower tier 1-bid champions clogging up the lower rankings than usual. Those tend to take up the 13-16 seeds, with decent mid-majors in the 12s, and the last at-larges in the 11s, but this year, the 11s are still autobids (including Oregon and NC State), and pushing the last 4 at larges up to 10s.

vCash
    Latest has us a 9 seed playing Boise St in the Uconn bracket

vCash
    The play in game being a 10 seed is ridiculous and just wrong. Should be the 16 seed every year IMO.

vCash
    Wow I just saw all the upsets from last night. We are so lucky we beat Tenn or there is a good chance we would be left out. I can’t believe UConn was the only #1 seed in the Power 6 to win their conference. This leads me to believe a lot of the higher seeded teams and auto locks took things easy during the conference tournaments. Honestly, I’m not a fan of conference tournaments and I wish they would do away with them. The real champion should be the one who went through 3 months of conference games and that team should get the auto bid and then the field be based off that. It kind of reminds me of the bowl season for football with all the opt outs. Expand the CFB play off to 16 teams and keep the bowl games for smaller teams that won’t have enough players on the team good enough to opt out where it will impact the outcome enough.

vCash
    Better believe the committee is going to think long and hard about putting us in Dayton. Hopefully they will decide not to just because we were there last year

vCash
    We are in, it's a no brainer, no sense in worrying and for goodness sakes quit the "oh crap we are an 8 or 9 seed". One game at a time from here on out, we can beat any team in the country on a giving night. I agree with the panel of ex Sec players talking about the Sec has the best top 8 teams in the country and will make some noise in the Ncaa. We've beaten the best and of course we have lost to some of the best but have had a chance to win.
    Moving forward, teams that shoot the best usually win in tourney play. Let's hope we get hot again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The play in game being a 10 seed is ridiculous and just wrong. Should be the 16 seed every year IMO.
    I actually think the opposite. I think the play-ins should involve the last 8 at-large teams playing their way into the Tourney. If you get an auto bid, you should be in. It definitely makes no sense to have 4 16s and 4 at-large, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Wow I just saw all the upsets from last night. We are so lucky we beat Tenn or there is a good chance we would be left out. I can’t believe UConn was the only #1 seed in the Power 6 to win their conference. This leads me to believe a lot of the higher seeded teams and auto locks took things easy during the conference tournaments. Honestly, I’m not a fan of conference tournaments and I wish they would do away with them. The real champion should be the one who went through 3 months of conference games and that team should get the auto bid and then the field be based off that. It kind of reminds me of the bowl season for football with all the opt outs. Expand the CFB play off to 16 teams and keep the bowl games for smaller teams that won’t have enough players on the team good enough to opt out where it will impact the outcome enough.
    Houston basically played their 2nd string last night and lost to Iowa State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I actually think the opposite. I think the play-ins should involve the last 8 at-large teams playing their way into the Tourney. If you get an auto bid, you should be in. It definitely makes no sense to have 4 16s and 4 at-large, though.
    Even the play in teams are "in" the tourney. I just don't think it is fair to penalize a much better team having to play an extra game like a 10 seed. That means there are 24 teams not as good that get a bye just because they play in a weak conference. Not fair at all but I guess that is the equity game being applied like all conferences are the same - Not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    We are in, it's a no brainer, no sense in worrying and for goodness sakes quit the "oh crap we are an 8 or 9 seed". One game at a time from here on out, we can beat any team in the country on a giving night. I agree with the panel of ex Sec players talking about the Sec has the best top 8 teams in the country and will make some noise in the Ncaa. We've beaten the best and of course we have lost to some of the best but have had a chance to win.
    Moving forward, teams that shoot the best usually win in tourney play. Let's hope we get hot again.
    We are in and there is no sweating it. We are a tourney team and all got to see it in SECT again.

vCash
    We are in and there is no sweating it. We are a tourney team and all got to see it in SECT again.
    I'm sweating the play-in games. I don't wanna do that again

vCash
    The Oregon win probably didn't affect our position. Colorado is projected behind us in most brackets now, so that didn't put 2 teams safely in ahead of us. The NC state win might be the one that put us in the Dayton discussion. Most think we are safe from that but the committee always has 1 or 2 bubble decisions that are not was are projecting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    The Oregon win probably didn't affect our position. Colorado is projected behind us in most brackets now, so that didn't put 2 teams safely in ahead of us. The NC state win might be the one that put us in the Dayton discussion. Most think we are safe from that but the committee always has 1 or 2 bubble decisions that are not was are projecting
    Yep, us last year. Most had us avoiding the play in last year, but we see what happened. I DON'T trust that committee at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Yep, us last year. Most had us avoiding the play in last year, but we see what happened. I DON'T trust that committee at all.
    Is LT on the committee?

vCash
    I don't want to be in a play in situation again and doubt we are... other than that I don't care who we play or where we play. I think Jans will turn up our defensive intensity and make it hard for anyone we play. I understand we can lose to anyone but I wholeheartedly feel like we can beat anyone in this tournament.

One thing that is special about the NCAA tournament is players get discovered. This is a prime opportunity for a player like Josh Hubbard to show the world who he is and I'm excited to see what may happen.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 03-17-2024 at 11:56 AM.

vCash
    As long as we avoid the play in I like our chances of getting to the second weekend. 3 games in 3 days will be something we do not have to do the rest of the way so our legs should not be an issue.

vCash
    Even the play in teams are "in" the tourney. I just don't think it is fair to penalize a much better team having to play an extra game like a 10 seed. That means there are 24 teams not as good that get a bye just because they play in a weak conference. Not fair at all but I guess that is the equity game being applied like all conferences are the same - Not.
    I think the extra teams and the play-in is stupid, I would much prefer they stayed at 64. But if you are going to have them, it makes sense to give 4 extra teams a chance to play their way in, not teams who have already clinched a spot. And regardless, no one truly thinks of the play-in teams as in the tournament yet. Yes, you get to say you are and you are technically in the bracket, but no one cares about those games. The whole point of the tournament is that you do not assume anything, including the strength of the conference, you let the teams play it out. Every conference should have a representative in the 64-team field. It makes no sense to have some 16s and some at-larges playing. There is currently no logic to it, they just wanted more teams and did a bad job of figuring out how to include them.