Thread: Steelers trade for Justin fields

vCash

Steelers trade for Justin fields

After they signed Russell Wilson. Strange.

vCash
    Not really. They got both for next to nothing. Fields is the long term play but Russ will most likely start this year. Fields will take over 2025. They've got to find another wr or two.

vCash
    They've already said there will be no competition - it's Wilson's job. His 5th year option will be for 25 million. I get the move if you having an open completion, but for a backup... I don't like the move

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They've already said there will be no competition - it's Wilson's job. His 5th year option will be for 25 million. I get the move if you having an open completion, but for a backup... I don't like the move
    Here's my take, free of charge, Wilson is the starter, he shits the bed fields is there, they have nothing to lose bc they gave up nothing for a starting qb.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep. As a life long Steelers fan the move was a little strange to me at first, too. After researching a little more it was a great move.

Russ starts this year, and if he sucks they have Fields to go to long term. Denver is paying Wilson's salary and the Fields trade is based upon his playing time to determine what rounds draft pick they have to give up. 6th rounder best case, 4th rounder worst. Just got 2 high quality QBs (We will see if he's the Wilson of old) for almost nothing, and the team is basically set for the future with Fields. I expect they will go WR, DL or maybe in reverse order in the draft, and hopefully we will be set. Gonna get # 7 soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Yep. As a life long Steelers fan the move was a little strange to me at first, too. After researching a little more it was a great move.

Russ starts this year, and if he sucks they have Fields to go to long term. Denver is paying Wilson's salary and the Fields trade is based upon his playing time to determine what rounds draft pick they have to give up. 6th rounder best case, 4th rounder worst. Just got 2 high quality QBs (We will see if he's the Wilson of old) for almost nothing, and the team is basically set for the future with Fields. I expect they will go WR, DL or maybe in reverse order in the draft, and hopefully we will be set. Gonna get # 7 soon.
    Not following this logic. 3 years of tape shows us Fields is not an NFL caliber starter. How would the Steelers be setup for the future with him? Especially on a team that historically spends their money on defense.

vCash
    I look at either one as equity. Barring injury, one will likely get traded early in the season for something much more valuable - it was a super smart move for any team

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Not following this logic. 3 years of tape shows us Fields is not an NFL caliber starter. How would the Steelers be setup for the future with him? Especially on a team that historically spends their money on defense.
    I just don't agree with Fields being a proven failure. He really had some good games in Chicago on a very bad team for 3 years. I guess time will tell on this one, but I think Fields is pretty talented and he's still pretty young. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    I just don't agree with Fields being a proven failure. He really had some good games in Chicago on a very bad team for 3 years. I guess time will tell on this one, but I think Fields is pretty talented and he's still pretty young. Time will tell.
    Yeah I mean maybe, but 32 NFL GMs this year made it clear they dont view him as a starter and his value is a super late pick. Bears went all in on him this year getting him a true #1, a great TE, and a very good OL and he still couldnt break 200 ypg passing

vCash
    Fields needs a coach to build to his strengths. See what Philly did for hurts and Indy did for Richardson. He isn't gonna fit for most offenses, but I think he can succeed with the right system

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Yeah I mean maybe, but 32 NFL GMs this year made it clear they dont view him as a starter and his value is a super late pick. Bears went all in on him this year getting him a true #1, a great TE, and a very good OL and he still couldnt break 200 ypg passing
    You conveniently leave out the Bears were second in the league last year in rushing attempts. They were a run first offense. You also left out they were 28th in pass attempts and were 24th in the league in passing yards per attempt.

The very good offensive line gave up the 8th most sacks in the league. The "great" TE, I'm assuming you're referring to Kmet, is so great they signed Gerald Everett this week.

Fields is a backup that cost the Steelers next to nothing. He will either work out or he won't but the potential upside he has is worth the cost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    You conveniently leave out the Bears were second in the league last year in rushing attempts. They were a run first offense. You also left out they were 28th in pass attempts and were 24th in the league in passing yards per attempt.

The very good offensive line gave up the 8th most sacks in the league. The "great" TE, I'm assuming you're referring to Kmet, is so great they signed Gerald Everett this week.

Fields is a backup that cost the Steelers next to nothing. He will either work out or he won't but the potential upside he has is worth the cost.
    I didnt conveniently leave anything out, they were 28 in attempts for a reason. The coaching staff purposely took the ball out of his hands to minimize his weakness. The sacks are high because of Fields play, he has a bad knack of leaving the pocket and running into sacks. This is all over tape. At the end of the day if you have 3 full seasons under your belt and cant average 200 ypg, you arent an nfl caliber starter.

Besides I never said he is not good value as a backup. My original point is it is a very long shot to say the Steelers are setup long term after Russ, with Fields.

vCash
    What did Richardson do in Indy last yr?
    That may go down as one of the worst #1 QB picks ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    What did Richardson do in Indy last yr?
    That may go down as one of the worst #1 QB picks ever.
    He only played in 4 games, but looked pretty good. Small sample, so can't say for sure, but I feel better about him making it than I did when he was drafted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He only played in 4 games, but looked pretty good. Small sample, so can't say for sure, but I feel better about him making it than I did when he was drafted
    Yeah those hyper athletic guys are tough because you dont know until late year 2 or 3. Lamar and Josh Allen needed time but developed into very good players. Fields hasnt developed at all in 3 years. Hurts is kind of tricky because his only great year was with Steichen who is now Richardsons coach