Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basketball support vs Baseball support

vCash

Basketball support vs Baseball support

I get it. Basketball is more profitable and provides more cache when winning.

You guys gushed about Chris Jans. I just don't see it. But he may be the best we can do.

Wake me up when we get to the 2nd weekend in the tourney. It's been 28 years since the last sweet 16.

Baseball has a natty. I don't see it ever happening in any other team sport.

Fire away.

vCash
    It's not a competition. It's a preference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Agreed. It's all about preference. But baseball will always be king at MSU. That is an absolute fact whether you like it or not. Football is my favorite sport. But I understand that baseball is number one at State.

vCash
    I don't see the purpose of starting a whole new thread for this. Literally NO ONE has said basketball is more successful than baseball. NO ONE is saying to support one more than the other.

Why can't we just fully support both without all the silliness?

This place is turning into Genes Page 2.0
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 03-13-2024 at 04:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yep. The GTR has always been a baseball area. Sec football and baseball. Basketball in general has always been an afterthought.

Remind me, wasn't the hump basically empty most of the 90-91 basketball season until lsu came to town that year? That's what I recall but I could be confusing my years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I get it. Basketball is more profitable and provides more cache when winning.

You guys gushed about Chris Jans. I just don't see it. But he may be the best we can do.

Wake me up when we get to the 2nd weekend in the tourney. It's been 28 years since the last sweet 16.

Baseball has a natty. I don't see it ever happening in any other team sport.

Fire away.
    Why is this an either/or proposition? Support ALL MSU teams.
    The reality is that in Football and Basketball it takes a generational talent, and the stars aligning with the right coach and the right players and some dumb luck for us just to contend. That's the way it has been and likely always will be. But, we should support them because they are our teams. Getting a Natty is possible in other sports. Baseball proved that - and baseball has interest and the support because they have been the only consistent winner on campus since sports began. And while they may not be the Big 3 - our non-rev sports are probably in the best shape overall they have ever been - Top 15 Men's Tennis, SEC Champion level Ladies Golf, NCAA Tourney Soccer, NCAA Tourney Men's Golf, Consistent NCAA Finals Track & Field (numerous individual Champs), Softball consistent NCAA tourney team. Why not just enjoy supporting our school?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    THIS.

People get so threatened by other sports possibly taking the spotlight. No one is taking baseball's thunder. It's okay for people to be excited about basketball, softball, and other sports.

It's also okay for people to care more about baseball. But putting down the other sports while doing it is silly
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 03-13-2024 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    amen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The reality is that in Football and Basketball it takes a generational talent, and the stars aligning with the right coach and the right players and some dumb luck for us just to contend. That's the way it has been and likely always will be. But, we should support them because they are our teams. Getting a Natty is possible in other sports. Baseball proved that - and baseball has interest and the support because they have been the only consistent winner on campus since sports began. And while they may not be the Big 3 - our non-rev sports are probably in the best shape overall they have ever been - Top 15 Men's Tennis, SEC Champion level Ladies Golf, NCAA Tourney Soccer, NCAA Tourney Men's Golf, Consistent NCAA Finals Track & Field (numerous individual Champs), Softball consistent NCAA tourney team. Why not just enjoy supporting our school?
    Great post and I agree 100%! Have some REP!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Agreed. It's all about preference. But baseball will always be king at MSU. That is an absolute fact whether you like it or not. Football is my favorite sport. But I understand that baseball is number one at State.
    Not this garbage again.

vCash
    Wow! ALL YALL missed his point.

There have been multiple poster say take money away from baseball and give it to the income producing sports. The OP is just saying stop it. Each sport needs the financial support and he understands some Will favor basketball and football because they just don't like baseball and so because it is too damn cold north of the Mason Dixon line for schools up there to take baseball serious, WE as a whole Fanbase should quit focusing on baseball and spend all our funds and loyalty on men's basketball and football.

I hope they understand that the northern schools fans would CUT you if you tried to deemphasize Hockey and Lacrosse!

vCash
    Weird thread. Baseball is my favorite sport, but the part of our fanbase that is obnoxious about baseball and puts down other sports is irritating. I support them all equally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post

There have been multiple poster say take money away from baseball and give it to the income producing sports. The OP is just saying stop it. Each sport needs the financial support and he understands some Will favor basketball and football because they just don't like baseball and so because it is too damn cold north of the Mason Dixon line for schools up there to take baseball serious, WE as a whole Fanbase should quit focusing on baseball and spend all our funds and loyalty on men's basketball and football.

I hope they understand that the northern schools fans would CUT you if you tried to deemphasize Hockey and Lacrosse!
    That may be what he meant, but that's not what he said. He didn't even qualify the word "support" as meaning financial support. Nor did he say anything about reallocating funds to certain sports.

vCash

No, I didn't miss his point I've seen the threads about this. Whether it is "ra-ra" support, or booster support, or NIL, or Athletic Department funding support, we need to get as many resources to each sport as possible to be competitive. Saying things like "cut baseball and give to basketball" is incredibly short-sighted and is what LT would do. We are in a "yes, and..." situation with sports. Our goal should be to actively increase funding for all.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Just my opinion, but in our house and family it goes like this.

Football
    Basketball
    Baseball

We've never even been to the new Dudy Noble.

vCash
    I guess I did over read between the lines.

Let's all acknowledge thst Our leaders are NOT going to stop financially supporting baseball nor are our fans just because a few people on a message board think it is a waste of money, when Both entities have been spending copious amounts of money in a bigger fashion on certain sports that have absolutely no chance of ever winning a SEC championship let alone a NC as long as the playing field is unlevel financially. State needs to win something in those sports before certain fans bellyache about how much is spent on the one sport State has a Real Championship in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Just my opinion, but in our house and family it goes like this.

Football
    Basketball
    Baseball

We've never even been to the new Dudy Noble.
    In OUR house it is:

Football =Baseball =Men's Basketball = Women's Basketball.

Then the others fell in line with Softball first and everything else.

vCash
    In OUR house it is:

Football =Baseball =Men's Basketball = Women's Basketball.

Then the others fell in line with Softball first and everything else.
    Everyone is different -

Baseball is a family passion across generations - well before I became a State fan. My summers were narrated by Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren, and Ernie Johnson (and later Don Sutton).
    Watching the CWS in the 80s is how I even knew State existed.

Football is a close second. With streaming allowing so much access now, almost any televised MSU sport is on if it's streamed - soccer, softball, women's basketball
    I've even gone out to Sea Island a couple of times for the SEC Men's Golf Championship because its 8 miles from my house.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Amen to Brunswick's post.

And baseball will be revue producing when the seat licenses expire in a few years but the basketball people aren't talking about that.

vCash
    I just get the sense that many believe that there should be little to no money or resources going toward baseball, even though that is the sport with the highest ceiling for success. Latest results notwithstanding.