Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National media perception of men's basketball team...........

vCash

National media perception of men's basketball team...........

LOSERS
    Mississippi State
    Mississippi State has become the latest team to go from comfortably in to on the bubble.

Two weeks ago, the Bulldogs won their fifth consecutive game and were on their way to getting at least a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament. But since then, Mississippi State has lost four in a row, capped off by an overtime loss to South Carolina on Saturday.

Josh Hubbard did his usual business for the Bulldogs with 28 points, and he even got help with three other players scoring in double figures. But the Bulldogs missed all three of their 3-point attempts (two from Hubbard) in overtime in the four-point loss

Finishing the regular season with an 8-10 conference record shows what a big disappointment the Bulldogs have been in recent weeks; They end the regular season with a 7-11 record against Quad 1 and 2 opponents. Mississippi State should remain in the projected tournament field, but it can?t afford a one-and-done experience in the SEC tournament now.

vCash
    In today's world when you suck ass someone is quick to point it out.

vCash
    Basically what we have all said since Saturday. Win on Thursday and you are probably in, but it most likely will be the play in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Basically what we have all said since Saturday. Win on Thursday and you are probably in, but it most likely will be the play in.
    If we're going to go one and done in the NCAA tourney, it'd at least be nice to do it in the field of 64 and not the pretend tourney play-in game.

vCash
    I'm interested in how this is most likely. Lunardi and bracket matrix have us on the 10-line using 107 brackets as the sample
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-11-2024 at 11:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm interested in how this is most likely. Lunardi and bracket matrix has us on the 10-line using 107 brackets as the sample
    I believe we're in no matter what happens thursday(would be nice to win another game though, lol). And also it's nice to be noticed by the national media at tournament time again, means at least we're in the discussion. And I'm not trying to be a sunshine pumper, the last 3 games we've stunk it up pretty good for long stretches and have to try and get that fixed quick or the season will be over soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I believe we're in no matter what happens thursday(would be nice to win another game though, lol). And also it's nice to be noticed by the national media at tournament time again, means at least we're in the discussion. And I'm not trying to be a sunshine pumper, the last 3 games we've stunk it up pretty good for long stretches and have to try and get that fixed quick or the season will be over soon.
    A win and we are definitely in. A loss and we would have to hope for no upsets and chalk everywhere else.

vCash
    A win and we are definitely in. A loss and we would have to hope for no upsets and chalk everywhere else.
    Win and we are definitely in. I still think we would squeak in with a lost, but I sure wouldn't guarantee it. Precarius.

ETA if we don't start playing better none of it really matters because we'll be done shortly.

vCash
    Win and we are definitely in. I still think we would squeak in with a lost, but I sure wouldn't guarantee it. Precarius.

ETA if we don't start playing better none of it really matters because we'll be done shortly.
    Yes, but we will be able to hang a banner saying State is one of the Top 68 basketball teams for the second straight year.

With 4 Grad Students, 2 Seniors, a Redshirt Sophomore, and a True Freshman playing most of the minutes, we may actually sneak into that group of 68 teams. Oh Joy! Maybe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Yes, but we will be able to hang a banner saying State is one of the Top 68 basketball teams for the second straight year.

With 4 Grad Students, 2 Seniors, a Redshirt Sophomore, and a True Freshman playing most of the minutes, we may actually sneak into that group of 68 teams. Oh Joy! Maybe?
    This is a prime example of how our fans are clueless. There are 36 at large bids and 32 auto bids, and we are better than most of them. Making the ncaa tournament isn't easy. We've made it back-to-back 5 times in our history.

vCash
    I mean I get what you're saying but there is no doubt this has been a pretty disappointing/underachieving season. Other teams have improved and we've regressed it seems like with one of the best freshmen in the country

vCash
    it is our outside shooting we absolutely suck from the outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    I mean I get what you're saying but there is no doubt this has been a pretty disappointing/underachieving season. Other teams have improved and we've regressed it seems like with one of the best freshmen in the country
    I think it's fair to say we should be better than on the bubble, but to downplay making the tourney is dumb to me. Us making the tourney is still a big deal... we've made it 13 times in our history

vCash

I think it's fair to say we should be better than on the bubble, but to downplay making the tourney is dumb to me. Us making the tourney is still a big deal... we've made it 13 times in our history
    12 times. And the Head Coach everyone loves to hate took us 6 of those 12. In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009. And got us to the Round of 32 on 4 of those years.

vCash
    Saw where we are picked as 9 seed paying Wisconsin which was 8 seed. Making the tourney is always good! The Sec this year may be the best overall ever or close to it. I can see Au, Tn, Ky, Sc all making some noise in the tourney. Florida has been playing better also.

vCash
    Yeah I agree. We'll limp in regardless. The national media has been for us since mid season for what all we had done. We are a tough out even in our losses. We are a tourney team even if it has been disappointing down the stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Saw where we are picked as 9 seed paying Wisconsin which was 8 seed. Making the tourney is always good! The Sec this year may be the best overall ever or close to it. I can see Au, Tn, Ky, Sc all making some noise in the tourney. Florida has been playing better also.
    Always! I'll never apologize for us getting in the tournament.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-11-2024 at 03:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    12 times. And the Head Coach everyone loves to hate took us 6 of those 12. In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009. And got us to the Round of 32 on 4 of those years.
    Lemonis won a NC with about 4 other coaches' players. Jans got in last year with Howland's recruits as the play in game. This year only 1 of the 7 players he brought in was a contributor, Hubbard, who fell in our lap when OM fired Kermit. This year we played virtually Howland's guys again and a game changer, Hubbard, with about the same result if we get in. If Jans can't evaluate, recruit, be successful in the portal & coach offense next year could be rough. There is a reason we had so many 5th year type players. Some are a year older, not a year better. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-11-2024 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep any time we make the tournament it's an accomplishment, and once you get in who knows what will happen. Our fans acting like the Sweet 16 is our birth right might be the strangest one of all.

vCash
    The only reason we are on the bubble is because we decided that once we got up on Southern by 11 with 4 minutes left and we stopped playing. Had we just not done that we would be around a low 9/high 10 seed and fairly safely in. Still have no clue what that was all about