Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK- here we are. Baseball season is now a fight

vCash

OK- here we are. Baseball season is now a fight

12-4 heading into the meat of the season. Should get 2 midweeks this week to get to 14-4 facing LSU at home. Then got to find a way to win the series.

Huge week for the Diamond Dawgs
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Gotta admit I'm starting to buy in.

vCash
    Not worried about pitching but we still have some holes in the batting order that need to be addressed,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I want it bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I want to but I am not there yet. If State can take just one vs LSU and competitive in the other 2, I can believe this team can be alright. Is that too much to ask? I don?t think so. State took 2/3 from LSU last year and this is a little better than last year.

vCash
    Win 2 against LSU and everyone will start to buy in.

vCash
    I like us taking 1 from LSU, and I like our Sunday matchup with Lo vs Hurd. That being said, who knows who LSU will throw Sunday. We could take this series. Kinda depends on how many arms we use in Biloxi. Also, has anyone heard anything on Dohm?

vCash
    Just a reminder. We are currently 12-4 in nonconference games (18-5 last year). Last year we went 9-21 in SEC play, which was our issue. Our final record was 27-26 with an RPI of 51.

So the RPI will take care of itself because of strength of schedule. We can't really improve on last season's nonconference record. We have to get these midweek games throughout the season, and improve our play in the SEC.

vCash
    Last season in conference play

got swept - 4 times
    won 1 of 3 - 3 times
    won 2 of 3 - 3 times
    swept - 0 times

We have to avoid sweeps. Sweeps killed us last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    12-4 heading into the meat of the season. Should get 2 midweeks this week to get to 14-4 facing LSU at home. Then got to find a way to win the series.

Huge week for the Diamond Dawgs
    Why did we schedule 2 midweek before LSU weekend?

vCash
    LSU is very talented and a Top 5 level team. However they aren’t in a good place swinging the bat. Lost today vs Xavier 2-1

Pitching and D has to show up this weekend. I’ll be there. Can’t wait

vCash
    Many of the SPSers on that 3on site are actively rooting against this baseball team so that Lem gets fired.

Most also can't stand the outfield loungers that feed opposing players, and they don't like ANY NIL $$ or upgrades going to baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Many of the SPSers on that 3on site are actively rooting against this baseball team so that Lem gets fired.

Most also can't stand the outfield loungers that feed opposing players, and they don't like ANY NIL $$ or upgrades going to baseball.
    That first sentence isn't true at all. Completely false.

Not saying there aren't a couple, but most are just skeptical like me. Win 1 or 2 this weekend while looking competitive, and I'll eat my crow.

But I've yet to see anyone actively rooting against the baseball team. There's just lots of frustration after 2 years of sucking
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 03-10-2024 at 09:46 PM.

vCash
    I sure have seen a lot of people calling for a firing after those 4 losses yet have gotten quiet lately

vCash
    I sure have seen a lot of people calling for a firing after those 4 losses yet have gotten quiet lately
    Tends to happen when you beat up on powerhouses like Mt. Saint Mary and Evansville.

These next 3 weekends will let us know

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Win 2 against LSU and everyone will start to buy in.
    Yep. But to be honest I think we're somewhere in the middle of the SEC and LSU is somewhere near the top. It's going to be interesting because it comes down to SEC play as we have said many times. I think we're good enough to make the SEC Tournament and I think we're good enough to make a regional. But will that be enough to keep Lemonis around?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Why did we schedule 2 midweek before LSU weekend?
    Because while it's good for MSU to play in Biloxi it's logistically hard for MSU to travel there because we're using the bus. So to make it worth our while we schedule Biloxi during spring break when the players don't have class so we can stay overnight and don't have to worry about the players missing class. The SEC is the one that decided to schedule LSU where they did in our schedule. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post

Most of them also thought that Barbay was going to be awesome and have the best offense ever at MSU. Their forte is sports logos, eating bar-b-que and mac and cheese at Two Brothers, and field paint. Not sports discussion. Kind of like fashion designers on HGTV.

vCash
    They're about to learn that pitching and defense can win you baseball games. I'm sure they'll be back when LSU beats us 2/3 or sweeps us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Most of them also thought that Barbay was going to be awesome and have the best offense ever at MSU. Their forte is sports logos, eating bar-b-que and mac and cheese at Two Brothers, and field paint. Not sports discussion. Kind of like fashion designers on HGTV.
    El oh el.

Swing and a miss
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 03-11-2024 at 08:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    They're about to learn that pitching and defense can win you baseball games. I'm sure they'll be back when LSU beats us 2/3 or sweeps us.
    Lemonis has got to show he has the nuts to grind the gears in unison to beat the good SEC teams, not just beat up on Sad sacks like Missouri, UK, and Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Lemonis has got to show he has the nuts to grind the gears in unison to beat the good SEC teams, not just beat up on Sad sacks like Missouri, UK, and Ole Miss.
    exactly.... nobody who is a true state fan wants us to lose but until lemondick starts winning the last 2 season are like an albatross around his bucket sitting butt!