Thread: That didn't take long! First collegiate players union!

vCash

That didn't take long! First collegiate players union!

(Reuters) ? Men?s basketball players at Dartmouth College, an Ivy League school in New Hampshire, voted on Tuesday to form a union, in a potentially transformative moment for U.S. college athletics.

The team voted 13-2 to join an affiliate of the Service Employees International Union that had petitioned to represent the players last year, according to results tallied by the National Labor Relations Board.

The vote comes amid a broader effort to roll back restrictions on compensation for student athletes, such as a bar on athletes profiting from the commercial use of their name, image and likeness.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/baske...ts-2024-03-05/

vCash
    good burn this 17er to the ground and lets go back to club teams with real students

?Six pack - a bunch of circle jerking snowflakes?

-DangerDawg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    (Reuters) ? Men?s basketball players at Dartmouth College, an Ivy League school in New Hampshire, voted on Tuesday to form a union, in a potentially transformative moment for U.S. college athletics.

The team voted 13-2 to join an affiliate of the Service Employees International Union that had petitioned to represent the players last year, according to results tallied by the National Labor Relations Board.

The vote comes amid a broader effort to roll back restrictions on compensation for student athletes, such as a bar on athletes profiting from the commercial use of their name, image and likeness.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/baske...ts-2024-03-05/
    What commercial use of their NIL will Dartmouth players take advantage of? A local bookstore?

vCash
    I thought the basic tenet of a labor union is that it represents employees. I guess these guys punch in at the time card in the gym.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    I thought the basic tenet of a labor union is that it represents employees. I guess these guys punch in at the time card in the gym.

I do not understand thinking it's OK paying a coach millions and the ones actually playing the game and risking injury not getting their share. Club sports were fine when little to no money was involved.

The student athlete the never really existed back during club sport days either. Get this, they got paid as superstars and the ones not getting paid got a fair share of the revenue just with the scholarships but coaches didn't make 200-300 times the average person. Colleges do not care if they are students, if they did, online classes would not be a thing that many of them never even grace the screen with their presence.

Universities make millions off these players, but - scholarships is their reward. You can have that view but you will never "MAKE" Universities insure they are real students again. Winning is too important to the bottom line. That genie is out of the bottle and it will not go back, players are getting paid because they can do one thing well and it's be an athlete. They are not given scholarships to become students, they are given scholarships in spite of their academic abilities or lack thereof to win ball games.

I see jealousy coming from this don't pay players group. The "I didn't get it, so why should they?" group. They can hit a jump shot, that's why.

vCash
    I think it makes a lot more sense for all college players at every school to join a single national union, rather than a team-by-team hodgepodge. Imagine if instead of the MLBPA, each team had its own union.