Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arnett...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    The pass this guy gets from our fanbase will apparently always baffle me forever.

He was a mid level defensive coordinator. Not amazing like everyone continues sell. We averaged 5th best in the SEC. We have had teams that were first so it's not an unattainable goal. Was supposed to be the next DC at USC or LSU? What happened? Analyst at Ole Miss. LOL nice job.

Takes a successful team and destroys it.

Takes a job with the rival, but "I still like the guy".

17 Him. He's the second worst HC in my lifetime, and I only don't give him the top spot because we weren't dumb enough to give him 5 years like Croom.
    Arnett had us in the top 5 of the SEC defenses all 3 years of his time as DC. In the last 20 years the only other times we had teams finish higher than 5th in the conference was '17 and '18 and I shouldn't have to point out how that happened. Peter Sirmon could've taken those two teams and looked good.

Bob Shoop's '19 team was 10th in the conference and the next time he was DC anywhere was USF in '22 where his team was the worst defense in the nation. Todd Grantham fell off a cliff at FL after a decent first two years.

Arnett had us consistent with probably the worst overall talent we've had on defense in the last 20 years. His HC tenure was horrific but he is a good DC. I realize HC rankings are always very opinionated but in mine Moorehead was head and shoulders worse than Arnett and it's not even close. Look at how well he did with the talent we had in '18. The man was carried by talent. He's now 4-20 at Akron. What he did to our program was and is far worse than Arnett not even finishing the year. By the way I actually like the guy just not as a HC.

vCash
    I was too young to realize how bad a coach Shira was when going to the games and just being excited to play a close game and afterward his failure we made him AD! My worst coaches in my lifetime: #4 Arnett, #3 JoMo, #2 Rocky, #1 Shira. We have had far more than our far share of terrible HC's & AD's. Favorite coaches: Dan when not job searching and Jackie until the wheels fell off. Jackie #1. Hope Lebby in in the top 3 after a few years. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I was too young to realize how bad a coach Shira was when going to the games and just being excited to play a close game and afterward his failure we made him AD! My worst coaches in my lifetime: #4 Arnett, #3 JoMo, #2 Rocky, #1 Shira. We have had far more than our far share of terrible HC's & AD's. Favorite coaches: Dan when not job searching and Jackie until the wheels fell off. Jackie #1. Hope Lebby in in the top 3 after a few years. Hail State!
    I can't comment comment on Rocky or Shira since that was before me but Croom, Joe and Arnett in that order for me. Jackie early years and Mullen were very exciting. I haven't been as excited to watch our games since Mullen left. There was an energy surrounding the program then but not really so much since and I liked Leach.

vCash
    I wish we could have found a spot for Arnett on this staff as an analyst. He was put in a shitty situation after Leach passed and got even shittier advice from his asst. coaches. He was not ready to be a head coach in the SEC. Joe was still way worse a coach than Arnett. His current gig at Akron just solidifies it.

vCash
    he has the title of chief of egg operations. 17 that hard headed idiot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Arnett had us in the top 5 of the SEC defenses all 3 years of his time as DC. In the last 20 years the only other times we had teams finish higher than 5th in the conference was '17 and '18 and I shouldn't have to point out how that happened. Peter Sirmon could've taken those two teams and looked good.

Bob Shoop's '19 team was 10th in the conference and the next time he was DC anywhere was USF in '22 where his team was the worst defense in the nation. Todd Grantham fell off a cliff at FL after a decent first two years.

Arnett had us consistent with probably the worst overall talent we've had on defense in the last 20 years. His HC tenure was horrific but he is a good DC. I realize HC rankings are always very opinionated but in mine Moorehead was head and shoulders worse than Arnett and it's not even close. Look at how well he did with the talent we had in '18. The man was carried by talent. He's now 4-20 at Akron. What he did to our program was and is far worse than Arnett not even finishing the year. By the way I actually like the guy just not as a HC.
    Moorhead and Arnett are the same. They both took offensive systems that worked and trashed them because they thought they could do better. Moorhead was just propped up by a legendary D.

vCash
    You cannot have a coach you just fired be on the staff of your new coach. There is no way that can happen.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I wish we could have found a spot for Arnett on this staff as an analyst. He was put in a shitty situation after Leach passed and got even shittier advice from his asst. coaches. He was not ready to be a head coach in the SEC. Joe was still way worse a coach than Arnett. His current gig at Akron just solidifies it.
    He is never going to be ready to be a head coach anywhere because he sucks at it and put it on display for the world to see.

Moorhead is like the Anti-Arnett around here. I will preface this by saying that I don't think he would have worked out long term, but he won 14 games in his 2 years here including 2 egg bowls. People just don't like him because he told the fanbase to kick rocks. I would have done the same if the fanbase were treating my family the same as they treated his. Yes we had a great defense in 18 but still went 6-6 in 19' with a pretty mediocre roster. Yet people just despise the man.

Any list without Croom being the worst is void.

vCash
    He is never going to be ready to be a head coach anywhere because he sucks at it and put it on display for the world to see.

Moorhead is like the Anti-Arnett around here. I will preface this by saying that I don't think he would have worked out long term, but he won 14 games in his 2 years here including 2 egg bowls. People just don't like him because he told the fanbase to kick rocks. I would have done the same if the fanbase were treating my family the same as they treated his. Yes we had a great defense in 18 but still went 6-6 in 19' with a pretty mediocre roster. Yet people just despise the man.

There is no but or upside with Moorehead. How anyone can try and spin him as a halfway decent coach is beyond me. Moorehead took advantage of a really bad OM team that had only won 3 conference games over his 2 year span and it still took the "Piss and Miss" to win one of them. Also he went 0-2 in bowl games. The 2018 team was arguably the best team we've ever fielded in our over a century's worth of history. The 2019 roster was still better than anything we've put out in quite a while.

I don't even care about the kick rocks comment. I thought it was pretty funny myself but the man is not D1 HC material. There's not as big a divide between Croom and Moorehead as some might believe. Croom took over a team that had gone 8-27 in the 3 years prior so at the very least there wasn't much expected of him. Moorehead on the other hand took a team that had huge expectations that seemed like it'd be impossible to screw up. He dug a deep hole for this team.

vCash

Joe was a hard headed ****tard that was given the blueprint to win games by Huff and Hudspeth. He told them after BOTH wins (AU and A&M) using their game plans he'd rather lose his way than win their way. He's a major tool. Nice guy my ass. He had a bunch of people fooled b/c he kissed their asses and laid it on thick. Arnett is legit a nice guy and this piss on him attitude is uncalled for.

vCash
    I don?t hate Arnett. I just think he was in way over his head and listened to people that he shouldn?t have. But what bugs me is the crud I have to listen to from my ole miss friends that they are popping off about thanks to MSU for paying the salary of their new analyst. They are already acting like they?ve already made the playoffs. They kiss can kiss my ass.

vCash
    What about Bob??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    I don?t hate Arnett. I just think he was in way over his head and listened to people that he shouldn?t have. But what bugs me is the crud I have to listen to from my ole miss friends that they are popping off about thanks to MSU for paying the salary of their new analyst. They are already acting like they?ve already made the playoffs. They kiss can kiss my ass.
    I hate the boosters that put Arnett in charge and turned a tragedy into a dumpster fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    What about Bob??
    Wow, forgot that and loved those years until the Ole Miss/NCAA fiasco and probation came down on us! Note: Have you ever noticed when we have become successful it has usually led to probation? We are not good at cheating most of the time and the Big Boys and OM want to keep us "in our place". We owned Moss Point HS pipeline during the Tyler days and tremendous talent. The Veer was a think of beauty to watch. Would put him 3rd on my lifetime list. That our victories during his years are considered forfeits and count against our overall record is an injustice.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-07-2024 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    They are going to blow it, and blow it big time. This upcoming season reminds me so much of 2009. Ole Miss was preseason top 5 and State had just come off the worst coach in our history, and hired a new offensive minded coach. They floundered through the season and we beat their ass in Starkville. They are going to be 8-3 coming into the Egg Bowl and we are going to beat ass in Oxford. Neither Mississippi team handles big expectations well at all.

vCash
    Joe was a hard headed ****tard that was given the blueprint to win games by Huff and Hudspeth. He told them after BOTH wins (AU and A&M) using their game plans he'd rather lose his way than win their way. He's a major tool. Nice guy my ass. He had a bunch of people fooled b/c he kissed their asses and laid it on thick. Arnett is legit a nice guy and this piss on him attitude is uncalled for.
    I'm not going to get into an argument about who was the nicer guy. I knew them both and preferred Joe by a lot.

vCash
    I've noticed that this seems to happen a lot at MSU.

I call bullshit on all of it. Very convenient way to marginalize a head coach who did a good job for one weekend while also building up popular assistants. And it also doesn't make any sense.

vCash
    They are going to blow it, and blow it big time. This upcoming season reminds me so much of 2009. Ole Miss was preseason top 5 and State had just come off the worst coach in our history, and hired a new offensive minded coach. They floundered through the season and we beat their ass in Starkville. They are going to be 8-3 coming into the Egg Bowl and we are going to beat ass in Oxford. Neither Mississippi team handles big expectations well at all.
    Also reminds me a bit of our 2017 season. I could see them having success and then Kiffin starts to job shop.

vCash
    Wow, forgot that and loved those years until the Ole Miss/NCAA fiasco and probation came down on us! Note: Have you ever noticed when we have become successful it has usually led to probation? We are not good at cheating most of the time and the Big Boys and OM want to keep us "in our place". We owned Moss Point HS pipeline during the Tyler days and tremendous talent. The Veer was a think of beauty to watch. Would put him 3rd on my lifetime list. That our victories during his years are considered forfeits and count against our overall record is an injustice.
    The fact that you can't get penalized for cheating anymore if a big advantage for us. Not because we're excessively dirty. But because our administrators can't get off on exemplary compliance trophies anymore.

vCash
    We needed to clean house. BIG TIME. Arnett was a huge part of the problem. Actually he was essentially the face of the problem. We put ourselves in a shitty situation hiring him and the boosters friends to start with. Keenum should have accelerated the AD search which went on way too long at that point anyway. Most of the recruiting class we were trying to "save"- that was the excuse any way- ended up leaving via the portal any way.

I know it was a tragic situation but MSU incredibly and spectacularly mismanaged it. Really it should be a cautionary tale of what happens when you have boosters and hive mentality running a program. We literally won a game where the difference essentially was we couldn't line up correctly and lucked into it otherwise we're 0-8 in the SEC.

The really sad part to me is we should have learned from the Dan to Moorhead switch and I think that's why there was so much misinformation about what offense we were going to run. That and I think they hired a coach that sold them a bill of goods in his interview in Barbay.