PDA

View Full Version : Convince me i?m wrong: eliminate scholarships

Apoplectic
12-29-2023, 10:11 PM
for anyone receiving NIL. they should pay their way. anyone on s/s must play all games unless injured

SailingDawg
12-29-2023, 10:33 PM
Makes sense to me.

Extendedcab
12-29-2023, 10:36 PM
I’m for it!

Dawgology
12-29-2023, 11:05 PM
Makes sense

coachnorm
12-29-2023, 11:48 PM
for anyone receiving NIL. they should pay their way. anyone on s/s must play all games unless injured

Any program that remotely tries this will have signed its death warrant. If the NCAA or any conference tries to execute governance of this kind, it will get destroyed by the Courts because of the SCOUS decisions rendered.

Pancho
12-30-2023, 07:33 AM
be the end of football at the school that implements it......

R2Dawg
12-30-2023, 09:09 AM
Won't work, you'd just have to up the NIL for said player by that much.

However, how about just make up lame degrees for those players and others who don't want higher education anyway so they can breeze thru school. Hire babysitters for low pay as teachers. Give them what they want - a free pass at school but let them play ball. Give the real education scholarships to those that want it.

Like we can do it, there are no rules

BuckyIsAB****
12-30-2023, 11:48 AM

What you think football is, is already over

NWADAWG
12-30-2023, 12:45 PM

I say get rid of scholarships in current form and replace them with a NIL "minimum wage" amount of similar value. If they get academic or other scholarships, or additional NIL, then they have pocket money.

Title nine should then allow more scholarships to other men's sports like baseball.

maroonmania
12-30-2023, 01:05 PM

I'm sure the question was relative to it being implemented for everyone. NO school would do this on its own. The NCAA is too cowardly to even reduce scholarships to help make college football more competitive. They sure as heck aren't going to eliminate scholarships because of NIL. I mean a full scholarship with room & board is worth north of 50K a year or more at most schools. Only the top college players are getting more than that per year in NIL.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2023, 02:50 PM
Is this about

A) making the sport better, or

B) punishing kids because you're upset they actually have power now?

Because it feels like B). You're just mad they get ass kissed in HS, pick the school that pays them the most, then ditch that school to transfer to another school that will pay them the most, then quit on the team in bowl season to prep for the draft that affects their pay. Every step of the way the kid has power and only cares about money.

However, taking away scholarships if you're on NIL makes no logical sense, and just feels like a spiteful attempt to screw them over as a middle finger for the sake of it

HoopsDawg
12-30-2023, 03:13 PM
Is there any way to keep NIL but eliminate pay for play?

Possibly eliminate all collectives. Have a stringent approval process for all NIL deals. Need a good federal law as well.

R2Dawg
12-30-2023, 04:11 PM
Is this about

A) making the sport better, or

B) punishing kids because you're upset they actually have power now?

Because it feels like B). You're just mad they get ass kissed in HS, pick the school that pays them the most, then ditch that school to transfer to another school that will pay them the most, then quit on the team in bowl season to prep for the draft that affects their pay. Every step of the way the kid has power and only cares about money.

However, taking away scholarships if you're on NIL makes no logical sense, and just feels like a spiteful attempt to screw them over as a middle finger for the sake of it

I won?t speak for others but none of my positions are punishing anyone.
They are getting a potential life changing education and once in lifetime experience.
College ain?t wasnt supposed to be pro sports.
The free market is out there; go earn living playing ball if that is what anyone wants to do.
This y?all are punishing players BS is just that. No one is making them take a scholarship, go to college or do anything. Beauty of free market.

BullDog
12-31-2023, 05:53 PM

Any one receiving NIL pays ordianry income tax on the full value of scholarship plus NIL.