PDA

View Full Version : AZ isn't a Top 50 Recruiter

confucius say
12-28-2023, 10:29 PM
And is a top 10-12 team in the country. Interesting.

Bothrops
12-28-2023, 10:57 PM
They have a hell of a coach though

Coach34
12-29-2023, 12:04 AM
Arizona killed it out of the portal last season. That's something that cant be measured very truthfully. It's a guess. Just like it will be for us in 2024

parabrave
12-29-2023, 12:50 AM
And don't forget about a little thing called Coaching. Plus that Okie QB is just a Freshman.

Matt3467
12-29-2023, 02:49 AM
Arizona killed it out of the portal last season. That's something that cant be measured very truthfully. It's a guess. Just like it will be for us in 2024

That freshman QB is pulling a lot of weight. Luckily he wasn't starting vs us.

bulldawg28
12-29-2023, 06:46 AM
Recruiting is ONLY good for getting players that fit your system. Who cares what money grabbing industries care about a star. Arizona proves it and so does the NFL. Go after players that fit your system and win.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 09:08 AM

Who did they get out of the portal last year that has been huge for them? This says their portal class wasn't even in the top 50 of portal classes and that they only got 8 guys, none of whom are their stars.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

MaroonFlounder
12-29-2023, 10:09 AM
Who did they get out of the portal last year that has been huge for them? This says their portal class wasn't even in the top 50 of portal classes and that they only got 8 guys, none of whom are their stars.

You mean to tell me that C34 was wrong about something? Oh hell naw!

BrunswickDawg
12-29-2023, 10:40 AM

You have to look a little more at what they did:

Players:
Upshaw (Col): Edge: Led team in TFL with 11.5 and Sacks with 8.5 (starter)
Lemonious-Craig (Col): WR: 296 yards and 3 TDs
Nofoagatoto (indiana): DL: 13 tackles (starter)
Heimuli: (UW): LB: 15 tackles (starter)
Norton (UGA): DL: 32 tackles, 2.5 TFLs (Starter)
Flowe (Ore): LB: 44 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack (starter)
Patu (Cal) LB: 4 tackles in 3 games
Manoa (UCLA): DL: LEd team with 116 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, 1 INT (Starter)

So, they completely overhauled their front 7 with 6 new starters, and got a contributing WR. Only 1 "bust" in Patu, and a quick google shows he may have been a package deal to land his brother who is a '24 recruit.

They went from the #11 Scoring D in the PAC12 to #4; and #11 Total D to #5, I'd say Fisch evaluated and did very well in the portal.

MetEdDawg
12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Yeah that narrative was pretty overblown. Upshaw was really the only one from last years transfer class that made a huge impact. 8.5 sacks for them.

Cowing from the 2022 class was huge though. Had 90 receptions and 13 TDs this year. It's a combination really of how it works in the portal.

If you can find a few guys per year that work out it's going to be a benefit. It would be the same with high school recruiting. Some of the guys you get won't amount to anything. Same in the portal.

R2Dawg
12-29-2023, 11:06 AM

Proof everywhere on this. Recruiting ratings are a joke first of all. Getting players that fit and are bought into the program matter a lot. Also coaching matters.

For all the talent Bama and UGA get, they looked meh a lot this past year. If talent was the end all, every game would be a wash out but they aren't.

AZ didn't read the preseason rankings of how bad their talent was or maybe they did and it motivated them?

Todd4State
12-29-2023, 11:17 AM
Yeah that narrative was pretty overblown. Upshaw was really the only one from last years transfer class that made a huge impact. 8.5 sacks for them.

Cowing from the 2022 class was huge though. Had 90 receptions and 13 TDs this year. It's a combination really of how it works in the portal.

If you can find a few guys per year that work out it's going to be a benefit. It would be the same with high school recruiting. Some of the guys you get won't amount to anything. Same in the portal.

Yep. People that think that the portal is a silver bullet are mistaken.

Coach34
12-29-2023, 11:33 AM
You mean to tell me that C34 was wrong about something? Oh hell naw!

No Brunswick explained it pretty well

KOdawg1
12-29-2023, 11:41 AM

Players:
Manoa (UCLA): DL: LEd team with 116 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, 1 INT (Starter)

So, they completely overhauled their front 7 with 6 new starters, and got a contributing WR. Only 1 "bust" in Patu, and a quick google shows he may have been a package deal to land his brother who is a '24 recruit.

They went from the #11 Scoring D in the PAC12 to #4; and #11 Total D to #5, I'd say Fisch evaluated and did very well in the portal.

So what you're saying is we need to go after Samoans?

Sounds like a plan. Not only will they win you football games, but they can give back once they're professional wrestlers

confucius say
12-29-2023, 11:59 AM

Players:

Wait, a starting LB had only 15 tackles? On the season? I see 4 portal guys who made a difference. Solid. But none of their weapons are portal guys, and their team obviously was not built through the portal.

Even factoring in the portal guys they are still not a top 50 recruiter. He has taken a non top 50 recruiting profile and has them one of the top 10-15 teams country. Great job.

Coach34
12-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Wait, a starting LB had only 15 tackles? On the season? I see 4 portal guys who made a difference. Solid. But all of their weapons are not portal guys, and their team obviously was not built through the portal. He has taken a non top 50 recruiting profile and has them one of the top 10-15 teams country. Great job.

They got 6 of their front 7 out of the portal.
They went from 126th in the country in Scoring D to tied for 29th in the Country.

That's killing it in the portal

Mjoelner34
12-29-2023, 12:07 PM
Proof everywhere on this. Recruiting ratings are a joke first of all. Getting players that fit and are bought into the program matter a lot. Also coaching matters.

For all the talent Bama and UGA get, they looked meh a lot this past year. If talent was the end all, every game would be a wash out but they aren't.

AZ didn't read the preseason rankings of how bad their talent was or maybe they did and it motivated them?

Speaking of recruiting rankings, I heard part of an interview on ESPNU radio yesterday with a recruiting guy. I didn't catch enough of the interview to hear who he was with but he said all of the ratings are based on mathematical formulas but it was still biased because guys get bumped up or down depending on who they sign with. Sound familiar? Somebody posted on here the other day that we had 6 4-stars commit (with 4 signing) who dropped to 3 after they committed to us. Then, we have a DB who has played 3 seasons without an int who jumped to a 4 star in the portal. I read somewhere they were saying it was about all of his tackles. Well, yeah. If you allow completions every time it is thrown your way then chase the guy down, you're going to have a lot of tackles.

Coursesuper
12-29-2023, 12:07 PM

Players:

They nailed it with defensive players in year two after going hard in the portal for offensive players in year one. I hope, but highly doubt our people will understand that we will not be fixed in one off season. I know that this next team will be better but with some already throwing around 8 and 9 win predictions I feel that there may be many disappointed in a team that wins 5 or 6 but is showing real progress.

Mjoelner34
12-29-2023, 12:10 PM
They nailed it with defensive players in year two after going hard in the portal for offensive players in year one. I hope, but highly doubt our people will understand that we will not be fixed in one off season. I know that this next team will be better but with some already throwing around 8 and 9 win predictions I feel that there may be many disappointed in a team that win 5 or six but is showing real progress.

I'm hoping for a 2009 type year. A bowl game would be gravy.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 12:26 PM
They got 6 of their front 7 out of the portal.
They went from 126th in the country in Scoring D to tied for 29th in the Country.

That's killing it in the portal

One of those starters had 13 tackles all year, no TFL, no sacks. Only 3 of those were solo. 10 were assists. He wasn't productive. Nofoagatoto
Another, a LB, had 15 tackles all year. 4 solo and 11 assists. He sucked. Heimuli.

And Brunswick is wrong. The last guy he listed, manua the ucla transfer, only had 28 tackles and 1 sack. The guy's stats he listed and who he meant is Manu, who signed out of HS and is a stud 116 tackles and 9.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks.

So they added 5 defensive starters out of the portal, two who sucked (Heimuli and Nofoagatoto), one who was good (Upshaw), and two who were solid (Norton and Flowe). Again, to say that team is built off the portal is intellectually dishonest. And, EVEN COUNTING THEIR PORTAL HAUL, they are not a top 50 recruiter, which is the whole point of the thread-that they are a top 15 program despite not being a top 50 recruiter.

StarkVegasSteve
12-29-2023, 12:42 PM
Fisch will be THE name in the next coaching cycle. There were rumors that UCLA basically had him hired until Kelly waxed USC. They will be the team to beat in the Big 12 and will be a playoff contender heading into next year IF Fifita stays, which there are some rumors out there that he is going to test the portal. If so he immediately becomes the biggest name in the portal.

DownwardDawg
12-29-2023, 02:05 PM
I'm hoping for a 2009 type year. A bowl game would be gravy.

This is where I'm at as well. Especially when we beat ole miss' ass in Oxford.

BrunswickDawg
12-29-2023, 03:33 PM
One of those starters had 13 tackles all year, no TFL, no sacks. Only 3 of those were solo. 10 were assists. He wasn't productive. Nofoagatoto
Another, a LB, had 15 tackles all year. 4 solo and 11 assists. He sucked. Heimuli.

And Brunswick is wrong. The last guy he listed, manua the ucla transfer, only had 28 tackles and 1 sack. The guy's stats he listed and who he meant is Manu, who signed out of HS and is a stud 116 tackles and 9.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks.

So they added 5 defensive starters out of the portal, two who sucked (Heimuli and Nofoagatoto), one who was good (Upshaw), and two who were solid (Norton and Flowe). Again, to say that team is built off the portal is intellectually dishonest. And, EVEN COUNTING THEIR PORTAL HAUL, they are not a top 50 recruiter, which is the whole point of the thread-that they are a top 15 program despite not being a top 50 recruiter.

Easy mistake to make with all the Polynesian names.

I think y'all are arguing over the same point. Fisch identified a weakness, went after players to improve it - regardless of what they were "rated" - and they got better. That's what you want coaches to do. They still replaced a lot of guys in the front 7 via the portal. While only a couple impact guys, the rest as a unit appear to still better than what they had and the stats show it.

Coursesuper
12-29-2023, 03:49 PM

I think y'all are arguing over the same point. Fisch identified a weakness, went after players to improve it - regardless of what they were "rated" - and they got better. That's what you want coaches to do. They still replaced a lot of guys in the front 7 via the portal. While only a couple impact guys, the rest as a unit appear to still better than what they had and the stats show it.

Bingo, identified their needs got O in year one and D in year 2.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2023, 04:13 PM

They may be ranked that high but they aren't a top 10-12 team. I'd probably rank them 11th in the SEC.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 04:16 PM
They may be ranked that high but they aren't a top 10-12 team. I'd probably rank them 11th in the SEC.

What? 11th? Are you high?

smootness
12-29-2023, 04:58 PM

That is insanity.

Coursesuper
12-29-2023, 05:03 PM

I know you’re gonna say no way but, they might be a good bit better than that.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2023, 05:09 PM
I know you?re gonna say no way but, they might be a good bit better than that.

Are you ranking them ahead of us even though we beat them at their place? Bc we were the 12th best team in the league. I was being generous. You guys can't comprehend the differences in competition.

Coursesuper
12-29-2023, 05:31 PM
Are you ranking them ahead of us even though we beat them at their place? Bc we were the 12th best team in the league. I was being generous. You guys can't comprehend the differences in competition.

We played them at Davis Wade. They gave it to us 5 times with very short fields and they changed QB then they took off. They are a really nice team.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 05:39 PM

If OM would have turned it over 5 times and not played dart we'd have beaten them too.

AZ would beat us by 20-30 points if we played right now. They are on a Mizzou/ Mississippi/ LSU level, behind Bama and uga but solidly in that second level.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2023, 07:03 PM
If OM would have turned it over 5 times and not played dart we'd have beaten them too.

AZ would beat us by 20-30 points if we played right now. They are on a Mizzou/ Mississippi/ LSU level, behind Bama and uga but solidly in that second level.

Yikes. You obviously aren't a scout. Agree to disagree

Coach34
12-29-2023, 07:47 PM

Exactly. I look at production vs ratings. Their D got immensly better.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 11:10 PM
Yikes. You obviously aren't a scout. Agree to disagree

Well actually.... lol

Seriously, Arizona would be favored over Mississippi on a neutral field per the objective analytics. Would be a toss up with Mizzou. Slight underdog to lsu.

confucius say
12-29-2023, 11:17 PM

Well yea they got better as a unit. Mostly due to non portal players.

Even including portal players, they aren't a top 50 recruiter so the portal vs non portal talent is irrelevant to the op

smootness
12-30-2023, 12:36 PM

In that case, Bama is basically no better than Auburn.

1) One game never tells the whole story.
2) That game was early, before Arizona switched QBs and became a different team.
3) The P12 was great this year and the SEC was down. That win over Arizona was literally the best OOC win the entire conference had. That, or UK beating Louisville. The top teams didn?t beat anybody.

CaptainObvious
12-30-2023, 02:09 PM
Speaking of recruiting rankings, I heard part of an interview on ESPNU radio yesterday with a recruiting guy. I didn't catch enough of the interview to hear who he was with but he said all of the ratings are based on mathematical formulas but it was still biased because guys get bumped up or down depending on who they sign with. Sound familiar? Somebody posted on here the other day that we had 6 4-stars commit (with 4 signing) who dropped to 3 after they committed to us. Then, we have a DB who has played 3 seasons without an int who jumped to a 4 star in the portal. I read somewhere they were saying it was about all of his tackles. Well, yeah. If you allow completions every time it is thrown your way then chase the guy down, you're going to have a lot of tackles.

I think you will find most of Jett Johnson's tackles occurred after a positive gain by the opposing offense.