PDA

View Full Version : Gundy > Durkin...

Turfdawg67
12-27-2023, 10:29 PM
... no loss. IMO

HancockCountyDog
12-27-2023, 10:41 PM
... no loss. IMO

You give Durkin talent he looks great. You take away all those NFL dudes, and surprise he isn't very good.

Same story with basically every DC.

viverlibre
12-27-2023, 11:02 PM
You give Durkin talent he looks great. You take away all those NFL dudes, and surprise he isn't very good.

Same story with basically every COACH.

FIFY.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2023, 11:21 PM
A&M has like 30 guys playing in this bowl game

KOdawg1
12-27-2023, 11:28 PM
I'd take Marcel Reed rn..

Dude is pretty good

TheLostDawg
12-28-2023, 12:55 AM
Honestly I can't even watch college football right now. It makes me sick. Just thinking about how our teams have looked recently. I was a big Keenum fan the more I read about his connections. The Cohen hire and the Arnett situation along with academics falling has made me lose faith. I know this isn't what the thread is about but man this past year of football along with two bad years of baseball had gotten to me. I use to wear my state gear with pride. Recently I've noticed I've needed more clothes/ outer wear without state on it. Hopefully things turn around but right now I'm burnt out. I'll keep my tickets for now but I really hope Lebby turns this around, our basketball gets it going and our baseball surprises us.

AlSwearengen
12-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Honestly I can't even watch college football right now. It makes me sick. Just thinking about how our teams have looked recently. I was a big Keenum fan the more I read about his connections. The Cohen hire and the Arnett situation along with academics falling has made me lose faith. I know this isn't what the thread is about but man this past year of football along with two bad years of baseball had gotten to me. I use to wear my state gear with pride. Recently I've noticed I've needed more clothes/ outer wear without state on it. Hopefully things turn around but right now I'm burnt out. I'll keep my tickets for now but I really hope Lebby turns this around, our basketball gets it going and our baseball surprises us.

supposedly Strickland went behind Keenum's back and basically hired Cohen to be his replacement. It sounded like Keenum didn't want Cohen.

StarkVegasSteve
12-28-2023, 05:20 PM
supposedly Strickland went behind Keenum's back and basically hired Cohen to be his replacement. It sounded like Keenum didn't want Cohen.

That is pretty much what happened. From the story I was told at the time, now remember it was 7 years ago so I may be forgetting some of the details, but Stricklin basically told Cohen he was taking the Florida job and told Cohen that he would put in a good word for him. At that point Cohen decided he did not want to coach anymore and decided to start looking for his replacement. Cohen was the one who leaked his own name, through Robertson probably. It backed us into a corner at that point and we made the hire. Keenum and Cohen never saw eye to eye for a myriad of reasons.

Coursesuper
12-28-2023, 06:29 PM
That is pretty much what happened. From the story I was told at the time, now remember it was 7 years ago so I may be forgetting some of the details, but Stricklin basically told Cohen he was taking the Florida job and told Cohen that he would put in a good word for him. At that point Cohen decided he did not want to coach anymore and decided to start looking for his replacement. Cohen was the one who leaked his own name, through Robertson probably. It backed us into a corner at that point and we made the hire. Keenum and Cohen never saw eye to eye for a myriad of reasons.

That’s the cliffs notes version it was an us against us situation that ended up being not a good thing for us in the long term. I know you’re gonna say no way.

Op4isabitch
12-28-2023, 06:47 PM
I’m suppose to believe Stricklin got Cohen the job without approval of Keenum? Sounds like a great story, does it involve a bottle of lotion and a Playboy? GTFOH

Coursesuper
12-28-2023, 07:32 PM
Sorry guys. We were trying to have a civil conversation. But alas.

Coach34
12-28-2023, 08:13 PM
Cohen lobbied the Big Dawgs hard to be AD and this was kinda pushed on Keenum. Keenum wasnt all on board but went with the consensus.

Cohen really wasnt that bad of an AD but his neglect for the preparation of NIL and structuring for it makes the end of his tenure bad fo sho. He obviously didnt leave the job in good shape

State82
12-28-2023, 08:58 PM
Sorry guys. We were trying to have a civil conversation. But alas.
You can mostly forget about that around here these days unfortunately.

LC Dawg
12-28-2023, 09:13 PM

Stricklin did more than put in a good word for Cohen. He put us (MSU) in a bad position.

Coach34
12-28-2023, 09:17 PM
Stricklin did more than put in a good word for Cohen. He put us (MSU) in a bad position.

I dont get why people say this. We could have had a huge search for AD just like we did to hire Selmon. We didnt because the Big Dawgs supported Cohen moving into the job.

Cohen was not that bad of an AD. He led us to our only Natty. His failure to move the department forward with NIL is his black mark

Coach34
12-28-2023, 09:20 PM
People like to sing Greg Byrne's praises- Cohen was the deciding vote to hire Mullen as our HC. He told Byrne thats out guy. People seem to forget that

Coursesuper
12-28-2023, 09:53 PM
I dont get why people say this. We could have had a huge search for AD just like we did to hire Selmon. We didnt because the Big Dawgs supported Cohen moving into the job.

Cohen was not that bad of an AD. He led us to our only Natty. His failure to move the department forward with NIL is his black mark

We were having a search when the leak happened, then the remaining candidates withdrew. That left Cohen alone as a candidate. There was a lot of cajoling of certain high $$ types who were not on board with Cohen as AD for it all to come together.

LC Dawg
12-28-2023, 10:22 PM

Cohen was cheap for all sports but baseball.
That's needed to a point at Mississippi State but he took it too far. Not Templeton level but he was not willing to spend enough for football or basketball. That mentality led to the issue with NIL.

LC Dawg
12-28-2023, 10:28 PM
People like to sing Greg Byrne's praises- Cohen was the deciding vote to hire Mullen as our HC. He told Byrne thats out guy. People seem to forget that
I'm not on board with all the Byrne hype. Him not hiring Raffo was his biggest accomplishment to me. Everyone else was scared to go against Polk.
I think Stricklin was just as good as Byrne because he took what Byrne started and promoted State on a level that we had never seen.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-29-2023, 10:49 AM

Same story with basically every DC.

^^^^This^^^^ scheme and play calling only go so far on defense. You have to have the Jimmys and Joes or any offensive coordinator worth his salt will expose you.