PDA

View Full Version : That Southern loss is the best thing that could have happened

cheewgumm
12-25-2023, 03:47 PM
Usually State gets a potentially great team and they play well for a while then lose that hunger.

Great teams stay hungry.

This will help our team become great.

CaptainObvious
12-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Nah.

maroonmania
12-25-2023, 04:47 PM
I'm sure Jans used it to light a fire under some rear ends but I think its just our team has trouble getting focused for really bad teams. We could have easily lost to McNeese State 2 games after the Southern loss which could have been a 2nd disastrous game. I'm even still a little nervous about Bethune-Cookman.

cheewgumm
12-25-2023, 05:01 PM
I think it was. Maybe I am wrong. We will get to see as season continues.

PGHBulldogBG
12-25-2023, 05:13 PM
I think because of our style of play we have the potential to beat UK @ Rupp but lose to vandy at home. I would not be surprised if we have some roller coaster games but we need to get to 10-8 in SEC play somehow

99jc
12-25-2023, 05:35 PM
Usually State gets a potentially great team and they play well for a while then lose that hunger.

Great teams stay hungry.

not really. that loss was a very very bad loss! hell we can't even break back in to the top 25 because of that.

MoreCowbell
12-25-2023, 05:36 PM

Great teams stay hungry.

No it isn?t. Scoring 2 points in the last 4 minutes would have been a much better outcome.

cheewgumm
12-25-2023, 06:08 PM
I would rather have our team thinking ?if we do not play well anyone can beat us?

? than be in the top 25 in December.

Who cares if we are in the top 25 now? Meaningless.

Try to think long term. Hopefully that loss will stop us from being complacent when it matters later.

I know the answer will be ?they should always be ready?

No kidding. But they?re not. And sometimes it takes something like that as a reminder.

We will see.

cheewgumm
12-25-2023, 06:10 PM
Also the longer we are not in the top 25 the better.

Lord McBuckethead
12-25-2023, 07:04 PM
Disagree. I want to be in the top 4, right now.

Coach34
12-25-2023, 07:06 PM
That game forced him to tighten his rotation- which has made us better. Thats the positive from that game.

NCMSTFAN
12-25-2023, 07:09 PM
It was a bad loss, but it shouldn't keep us out of the tournament if we play solid come SEC play because we have alot of good teams left on our schedule, we just need to capitalize and win them. The Georgia Tech loss isn't looking as bad anymore either.

I'm not excusing the Southern loss but in basketball upsets like this happen weekly, if you don't show up to play every game a lesser school will beat you, there is talent everywhere.

Northwestern loss to a horrible Chicago State team (their only other loss was against us)
Georgetown loss to Holy Cross
USC loss to Long Beach state
Missouri loss to Jackson State
LSU loss to Nicholls

I could keep going but our fate is in our hands, we have plenty of good teams left on our schedule to beat to put us in a position to get a decent seed in the tournament, our guys just have to show up, getting Tolu back will help some too I just hope we don't slow down Bells progress trying to force Tolu back in because Bell has been a bright spot for us. It's hard to bench a guy averaging around 10 ppg, 10 rpg and hitting his free throws. Tolu is more talented but Bell is an animal in the paint right now.

HoopsDawg
12-25-2023, 07:51 PM
That game forced him to tighten his rotation- which has made us better. Thats the positive from that game.

we didn't tighten the rotation until after the Murray State game. That Southern loss will haunt our resume all year.

Coach34
12-25-2023, 07:58 PM
we didn't tighten the rotation until after the Murray State game. That Southern loss will haunt our resume all year.

It's a black mark but if we handle business- it doesnt matter. We were a bubble team because we went 8-10 in the SEC last year. Need to make that 11-7/10-8 this year and we are sitting in great shape. 12-6 is probably best case but I'd be very happy at 11-7

PGHBulldogBG
12-25-2023, 08:28 PM

We are lucky we did not lose to Murray because barring a miracle we would not have made the tournament with losses to Murray and Southern and only 1 if that quad 1 non conference win. We need to win 10 or 11 in SEC play to make it

Coach34
12-25-2023, 08:43 PM
We are lucky we did not lose to Murray because barring a miracle we would not have made the tournament with losses to Murray and Southern and only 1 if that quad 1 non conference win. We need to win 10 or 11 in SEC play to make it

What? Our metrics are still high. 9-9 and we are definitely in

maroonmania
12-25-2023, 08:53 PM
It's a black mark but if we handle business- it doesnt matter. We were a bubble team because we went 8-10 in the SEC last year. Need to make that 11-7/10-8 this year and we are sitting in great shape. 12-6 is probably best case but I'd be very happy at 11-7

If we take care of business it won't stop us from getting in BUT, if we are in, whatever our seed is, it would have been about 2 spots better without that loss.

Coach34
12-25-2023, 08:56 PM
If we take care of business it won't stop us from getting in BUT, if we are in, whatever our seed is, it would have been about 2 spots better without that loss.

Meh- it goes like this for P5 schools:

Top 5 seed
8-9 seed
11-12 seed
Play-In

NCMSTFAN
12-25-2023, 09:09 PM
The latest bracketology was put out a couple days ago on ESPN it has us as a 10 seed against #7 Ohio State. As long as we don't go on a crazy losing streak we will be ok come March, just have to take care of business and win the games we are supposed to and try to steal a couple we aren't.

Coach34
12-25-2023, 09:13 PM
The latest bracketology was put out a couple days ago on ESPN it has us as a 10 seed against #7 Ohio State. As long as we don't go on a crazy losing streak we will be ok come March, just have to take care of business and win the games we are supposed to and try to steal a couple we aren't.

We have Kentucky at home late in the season. That will be a big one for us

maroonmania
12-25-2023, 09:24 PM

We just need to make sure and not mess around with Bethune-Cookman. Can't lose that game. After that, there should be no individual game that we just can't afford to lose. We are currently at #32 in the net rankings but the only team in the Top 60 with a Quad 4 loss.

Homedawg
12-25-2023, 10:26 PM

Great teams stay hungry.

No. Just no. Losing that game isn't going to win us enough to overcome that beyond terrible loss. We played like crap after it and won. So the hunger thing is overblown imo.

cheewgumm
12-25-2023, 10:52 PM
I am speculating on how we will react. No way to know for sure one way or the other.

Losses can help the teams mindset. You can say no if you want but there is no way to prove it one way or the other.

I think we played great against Rutgers.

Bothrops
12-26-2023, 08:35 PM
Nah, it's still just as bad. I hope Tolu can hit the ground running and we may be ok down the line.

PMDawg
12-26-2023, 10:38 PM

Great teams stay hungry.

Dropped us from a 6 seed to a 10 seed. Yeah, that sounds great!

PGHBulldogBG
12-26-2023, 10:43 PM
It was an awful loss and there is no excuse for it. That game alone dropped us very far. We lost to them under Howland too

cheewgumm
12-26-2023, 11:39 PM
Our fan base is nothing, if not short sighted.

cheewgumm
12-26-2023, 11:43 PM
Our team throught they did not have to work hard to win.

Now they know.

Anybody who has played any level of sports understands this,

cheewgumm
12-26-2023, 11:47 PM
Some Of you have obviously not watched us play. It is clear.

I get it.

But you are mistaken if you think we are not good. Or you have a terrible eye for basketball.

Rawdawg
12-27-2023, 10:22 AM

Now they know.

I couldn?t disagree more. If you want to discuss short sighted, you?re referencing the worst game of Jan?s tenure instead of the whole body of work. That loss was an absolute resume atom bomb.

CaptainObvious
12-27-2023, 10:31 AM
Losing to Southern in basketball and Maine in football and Louisiana-Monroe in Baseball is equivalent to losing to North Vietnam in war. It is bullshit and should have never happened!

HoopsDawg
12-27-2023, 11:06 AM

Now they know.

It was probably our worst loss in school history on a relative basis-resources, roster, net ratings, etc

PMDawg
12-27-2023, 12:20 PM

Now they know.

I played sports through college. I get what you're attempting, but you're wrong. It's evidenced by the Murray State game. Losing to a "lesser" team CAN work as a motivator sometimes, but not the worst team on your schedule, and not when it moves you down 4 seed lines. Plus, we had just done that the game before, in Georgia Tech. After GT, we still weren't playing motivated, and after Southern, we almost lost to Murray State. Our team is talented, and we play great for stretches, but something is off. Now, if we go 14-4 or better in SEC play, you may have a point. Otherwise, that game cost us multiple seed lines and single handedly put us on the bubble, likely for the remainder of the season. We have no room for error now. It was nothing but an unmitigated disaster of a loss for us at this point. If we responded by burying everyone we've played since by 40+, then I'd say ok. But, nah. You're so far off it's not even funny.

I could add something like "only an idiot who sucks at sports and life can't see this", but I don't like to deal in uninformed hyperbole and generalizations, so I won't say that.

Extendedcab
12-27-2023, 02:28 PM
I played sports through college. I get what you're attempting, but you're wrong. It's evidenced by the Murray State game. Losing to a "lesser" team CAN work as a motivator sometimes, but not the worst team on your schedule, and not when it moves you down 4 seed lines. Plus, we had just done that the game before, in Georgia Tech. After GT, we still weren't playing motivated, and after Southern, we almost lost to Murray State. Our team is talented, and we play great for stretches, but something is off. Now, if we go 14-4 or better in SEC play, you may have a point. Otherwise, that game cost us multiple seed lines and single handedly put us on the bubble, likely for the remainder of the season. We have no room for error now. It was nothing but an unmitigated disaster of a loss for us at this point. If we responded by burying everyone we've played since by 40+, then I'd say ok. But, nah. You're so far off it's not even funny.

I could add something like "only an idiot who sucks at sports and life can't see this", but I don't like to deal in uninformed hyperbole and generalizations, so I won't say that.

I agree PMDawg! Good post!

Offshore Dawg
12-28-2023, 07:57 AM
No loss is good, but in basketball having the right attitude makes a lot of difference.

cheewgumm
12-28-2023, 08:28 AM
We will see.

Not that it matters as I can not prove my
Thesis.

If we go 14-4, people will just say ?yeah because Tolu is back? , which may be the reason.

Regardless I hope / and think we have turned a real corner that day.

I think more like 12-6 will
Happen.

msstate7
12-28-2023, 08:56 AM
I say around 11-7

basedog
12-28-2023, 08:56 AM
Always a bad sign to lose to Southern, team has to be motivated every day at practice and games.

KentuckyDawg13
12-28-2023, 09:04 AM

🤡

NCMSTFAN
12-28-2023, 10:51 AM
The loss was bad, it really was.... but it happens very often in College basketball because like I've said before, talent is everywhere in basketball and talent isn't as far apart in basketball as it is in football. That's why I would never compare a loss to Southern to a football loss to Maine.

We are easily more talented than Southern, the loss was ridiculous and was all on our guys and coaches just not showing up that night which you can't do. We beat a solid 8-2 Tulane team 106-76, Tulane beat Southern 105-81 so we know they didn't belong on the court with us. That was just a lack of focus by our players and coaches and I would like to think Jans has fixed that.

cheewgumm
12-28-2023, 11:03 AM
🤡

In fairness to PM he / she said that in response to my dick comment. I accept it.

I still think I?m right.

PMDawg
12-28-2023, 12:53 PM
In fairness to PM he / she said that in response to my dick comment. I accept it.

I still think I?m right.

Fair enough. And I respect the heck out of you owning it.

I would not have even responded if you hadn't thrown that other stuff in. Your opinion is your opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.