PDA

View Full Version : 247 Sports Recruiting Rankings

SailingDawg
12-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Here's the latest rankings (https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/)

Is this high school signees only, or does it include portal transfers?

We can talk about how impressive OM is all you want, but they're still only 11th in the SEC. Maybe they're filling in needed slots and maybe everyone else is as well.

We're at 31, which is about where we always are. Mullen had a couple of mid 20's classes I think.

DEDawg
12-22-2023, 08:20 PM
It is overall. Click on a team and it will show you the breakout of HS vs Transfer

confucius say
12-22-2023, 08:20 PM
That's HS and juco. No portal. Slightly higher if you include portal.

That's also the composite ranking, meaning it takes into account 247, On3, ESPN, and rivals.

I also note that On3 dropped Van Buren substantially the day after he committed to us. Nothing else changed, he just flipped from oregon to us and the next day he dropped a lot. So dumb.

msstate7
12-22-2023, 08:28 PM
We're 15th in the sec, and we have more commits than all but 5 of the teams in front of us. This isn't encouraging

Thick
12-22-2023, 09:00 PM
It will be 2-3 years before we know what we really have by then.

DEDawg
12-22-2023, 09:05 PM
We're 15th in the sec, and we have more commits than all but 5 of the teams in front of us. This isn't encouraging

What happens when you go an entire year with a joke of a coaching staff. Gotta take the punch this year and look forward

msstate7
12-22-2023, 09:09 PM
What happens when you go an entire year with a joke of a coaching staff. Gotta take the punch this year and look forward

And I'm actually please with how Lebby has recruited since he got here. I'm hopeful with a full year maybe we can get in the low 20s

BuckyIsAB****
12-22-2023, 09:22 PM
Another set of rankings that dont matter. And if you are gonna stick with State, youd be better off ranking all 126 teams yourself

Churchill
12-22-2023, 09:44 PM
It will be 2-3 years before we know what we really have by then.

It will be 2-3 years before we know what we really HAD by then. The class will have basically been recycled by then. The goods ones will have been bought off and the bad ones will have been auctioned off by then. All that will be left are the "meh's".

confucius say
12-22-2023, 10:20 PM
Should be top 30 after January 6.
Pretty good considering.

Plus, 11-30 are basically a crapshoot historically. Just get the QB spot right.

Bothrops
12-22-2023, 11:07 PM

Hibbler, Van Buren, Whitted, Craver, and former commits Flowers and Woodland all lost their 4 star rating on 247 when they committed to us. Six commits! And that's just up to this point. There will be another or two. All those guys but maybe one would have remained 4 stars with Ole Miss. Hibbler and Van Buren would be high 4 stars in Ole Miss' class.

Bdawg
12-22-2023, 11:19 PM
Hibbler, Van Buren, Whitted, Craver, and former commits Flowers and Woodland all lost their 4 star rating on 247 when they committed to us. Six commits! And that's just up to this point. There will be another or two. All those guys but maybe one would have remained 4 stars with Ole Miss. Hibbler and Van Buren would be high 4 stars in Ole Miss' class.

So why does this keep happening? To me, it doesn?t really matter, but to the coaches and school, I would think it would help with publicity and create buzz. It?s like the services do anything to kill our buzz or momentum we try to create. Momentum seems like a thing that can help build a class get players on board. Seems they love to just take the wind out of our sails. So if the first 4 were still four stars, where would we rank?

Bothrops
12-23-2023, 02:01 AM
So why does this keep happening? To me, it doesn?t really matter, but to the coaches and school, I would think it would help with publicity and create buzz. It?s like the services do anything to kill our buzz or momentum we try to create. Momentum seems like a thing that can help build a class get players on board. Seems they love to just take the wind out of our sails. So if the first 4 were still four stars, where would we rank?

Top 25ish. This has been going on for 3-4 years but it's gotten worse in the last two classes. Somethings up.

bulldawg28
12-23-2023, 07:50 AM
I'm amazed that people still believe in rankings. If they really wanted accurate data they'd break it down to system fits vs signed players. It's only about systems, players, and the coaching that matter.

confucius say
12-23-2023, 08:31 AM
Top 25ish. This has been going on for 3-4 years but it's gotten worse in the last two classes. Somethings up.

It would stop if coaches and players called out the On3 people by name. People in that industry are very thin skinned.

Pancho
12-23-2023, 08:45 AM
One of the player rankings issues with me is the fact that we have dopey sports writers who are only writers and don't have basic assessment skills to actually know if a prospect has potential. These guys create the scheme of who is good and who ain't when actual coaches and scouts are who really determines a players potential.

99jc
12-23-2023, 09:01 AM
recruiting rankings are so biased i can't believe how many people get obsessed over it. lust remember there is very little difference between a 3 star and a 5 star rating. Brock Purdy was a three-star prospect, despite his incredible prep numbers......just saying!

R2Dawg
12-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Another set of rankings that dont matter. And if you are gonna stick with State, youd be better off ranking all 126 teams yourself

Fact. The BS ranking is just click bait for homers and large fan bases. We always been at the bottom but somehow still put talent in the NFL and such. Ole Nate Watson did OK as a no body recruit - DPOY SEC, All American.

We'll see how this turns out in a few years. Also with transfer portal, part of everyone's class will transfer so we the margin for what actually sees the field could be 20-25 spots just with that.

R2Dawg
12-23-2023, 09:09 AM
recruiting rankings are so biased i can't believe how many people get obsessed over it. lust remember there is very little difference between a 3 star and a 5 star rating. Brock Purdy was a three-star prospect, despite his incredible prep numbers......just saying!

Hah and what was Dak as a QB? 2 star maybe? The two QBs going for MVP this year.

R2Dawg
12-23-2023, 09:13 AM

Yep been going on a long time. I just read a national story on top player signed by each school. Us and Vandy were only teams that had our top player listed as unranked. Total BS. And our top ranked player signed was none of those 6. There is a media bias that says, MSU must be placed near bottom regardless. You see it every day, every year. They will give us our due in baseball because we are a power there but that is it.

Mjoelner34
12-23-2023, 09:21 AM
Hah and what was Dak as a QB? 2 star maybe? The two QBs going for MVP this year.

I think Dak was a 3 star. Jonathon Banks, Thorpe Award winner as the best DB in college football was a 2 star.