PDA

View Full Version : Oak Grove cowbells

Thrill1
12-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Watching the Oak Grove-Tupelo game tonight, I was pleasantly surprised at the entire OG student section wielding cowbells. Going to high school game in and around Starkville for most of my life, this is not uncommon for a handful of schools within a short drive of MSU. Obviously, we have a little OG flavor on the team right now with RoJo and Jay Hughes and hopefully soon with Cameron Myers (#6, WR), but I want to think this goes a little deeper. This is a school that sits 1). in the backyard of Southern Miss (yes, we all know of they're recent struggles, but this has been a very competitive program for years) and 2). is nearly 5 hours away from Starkville. The fact their mascot is the Warriors and they choose to ring something with no correlation like a cowbell shows me these kids think its cool. And thats some of the best marketing we can hope for. Hey, come to State -- we ring these damn bells and have a party at our games. And who's the Flagship? Right. Not even close.

I also really like the fact that it looks like we're maintaining and even broadening our presence in south MS. Some awfully good football teams down there this year for sure. Well done Oak Grove.

MSUDawg4Life
12-07-2013, 02:48 AM
Agreed.

Recently, some of their most popular alums - Rojo, Jay Hughes, Paromita Mitra, etc. - decided to go to STATE and are apparently having a great time.

Also, according to Google Maps, Starkville is only 2 hours 51 minutes from Hattiesburg. It's a very easy drive that I've taken many, many times. Usually in 2 hours 45 minutes.

I think this is the result of Dan Mullen deciding that the best players in the State would go to MSU. When I was at Petal - many years ago - most of the students were die-hard Bama fans. Today, I would guess Bama is a distant third to STATE and Ole Miss. Go to a Petal game and you'll hear some cowbells too. Deciding to pay attention to the kids in Our State has begun to pay dividends on both the academic and athletic side of the equation.

BulldogBear
12-07-2013, 07:11 AM
The only game I got to sit down and watch in it's entirety was French Camp and Smithville. I heard the beautiful music there as well, though on TV you couldn't tell which side or if it was both!

DownwardDawg
12-07-2013, 07:13 AM
It's because I live in Oak Grove.

Thrill1
12-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah 5 hours is a bit much. My bad on that.