PDA

View Full Version : JUCO guys

Young dawg
12-20-2023, 08:41 PM
I know that this day and age juco guys are not as valued as they once were, but I think the players that we are getting from these jucos are going to make a big impact for our team.

Pancho
12-21-2023, 07:16 PM
correct. all will contribute

RisperDawg
12-21-2023, 08:35 PM
Hadad and Robbie commented, not to say they were just hammering it, but they did say that they had concerns because we took three from the same team. In my mind, the team you took them from played in the JuCo championship. If there were a team to take them from, it's Scooba.

Also, out of curiosity since we're talking about Scooba, I looked up Kadarius Calloway. Didn't realize he transferred to ODU. He is also now in the portal. Is there potential there or is he too much of a head case? Lol.

maroonmania
12-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Hadad and Robbie commented, not to say they were just hammering it, but they did say that they had concerns because we took three from the same team. In my mind, the team you took them from played in the JuCo championship. If there were a team to take them from, it's Scooba.

Also, out of curiosity since we're talking about Scooba, I looked up Kadarius Calloway. Didn't realize he transferred to ODU. He is also now in the portal. Is there potential there or is he too much of a head case? Lol.

Likley just PTSD from the Arizona Western trio we took all those years ago under Jackie that helped to send our program down the drain.

Leroy Jenkins
12-21-2023, 09:10 PM

Stop me if you heard this one before.... Another MS kid that didn't pan out signing with bama.

RisperDawg
12-22-2023, 01:36 AM
Stop me if you heard this one before.... Another MS kid that didn't pan out signing with bama.

Ha. Yeah, I've heard it before but there are also some success stories. Look at Jaheim Oatis. Man, what he could be doing for us.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-22-2023, 07:51 AM
Likley just PTSD from the Arizona Western trio we took all those years ago under Jackie that helped to send our program down the drain.

Nash, Snyder, and Oyefosobi? Maybe all were defensive linemen? Is that correct?

Young dawg
12-22-2023, 07:58 AM
I actually do not mind that they come from the same school. I mean it is year in and year out one of the top jucos in the country. If anything it has just given these guys more chemistry. Finding the best players is always the goal but finding guys that can play well together is just as important.

bulldawg28
12-22-2023, 08:27 AM
Nash, Snyder, and Oyefosobi? Maybe all were defensive linemen? Is that correct?

That's correct.

BrunswickDawg
12-22-2023, 08:41 AM

I think the major difference is that we can see MS JUCO kids multiple times easily and know them pretty well because of that and many of them were known to us in High School. That's a lot of scouting vs. seeing highlight films in 2002.

Count Istvan Teleky
12-22-2023, 09:36 AM
I know that this day and age juco guys are not as valued as they once were, but I think the players that we are getting from these jucos are going to make a big impact for our team.

... in the era of the transfer portal, while everybody seems to be looking there first for talent, the Mississippi Jucos could be an under-the-radar place to continue to get talent. The transfer portal is shiny, the MS Juco system is for grinders. That's us.

Johnson85
12-22-2023, 09:59 AM

I mean, we need bodies on defense, so I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken them. But Scooba lost three games, and had 31 points scored on them by Northeast, 42 scored on them by MGCC and 61 scored on them in the championship game. Outside of those games, they did generally hold teams in that 23 pts and below range.

I don't know what kind of position their offense put them in or how bad the players around them were, but I would generally expect that a JUCO team with a defense with an SEC quality player at each level would dominate on defense.

Without knowing anything about the particular players, I would hope they are all depth pieces and not players we are planning on relying on heavily.

Brahmabull
12-22-2023, 10:31 AM
A lot of high school kids are getting overlooked now because teams are focused on the portal. It is benefitting the JUCO systems.