PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Guys

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 12:05 PM
Im ready for it to get going. Any word? Predictions if you feel like it. Lemon better do a lot better than sneaking into Hoover to save it in my opinion. Making Hoover is less impressive than 6-6

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 12:37 PM
I know a lot of the hardcore baseball guys are optimistic, but I'm just not seeing it.

We hired a new pitching coach, so that's a plus. He should have us better there.

But because of the fact we've sucked the last 2 years, our portal haul this past year was kinda weak.

I think we'll be in the bottom half of the SEC. Maybe we can squeak into the NCAAT.. Idk

basedog
12-20-2023, 01:08 PM
We should be much more motivated. We will be improved but where we stack up in the Sec is questionable right now.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 01:18 PM
Pitching will be much improved. We should go to a SR.

Dakota Jordan and Hines are going to be one of the more dangerous combinations in the SEC.

We should be better on defense too.

Colby Holmcombe is going to surprise a lot of people.

MStateDawg
12-20-2023, 01:35 PM
We should be better on defense too.

I think this is a guarantee.

Swapping out Slate for Kohler is definitely an improvement at 3rd.
Highfill having a year under his belt certainly helps at catcher.
DJ in right will be better than Kellum.
Hujsack can handle center.

Hines at 1st is the only position where we might not be a strong as last year.

Mjoelner34
12-20-2023, 01:43 PM
I think this is a guarantee.

Swapping out Slate for Kohler is definitely an improvement at 3rd.
Highfill having a year under his belt certainly helps at catcher.
DJ in right will be better than Kellum.
Hujsack can handle center.

Hines at 1st is the only position where we might not be a strong as last year.

Lemonis not starting Hines at 1st for last month of the season = Leach not giving meaningful snaps to Robertson and Locke up by 40 against an FCS team in the 4th.

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 01:44 PM
We should go to a SR.

I stopped reading right here

Coach34
12-20-2023, 01:49 PM
We should be pretty good. Top of the batting order is Top 3 in the country. Defense should be pretty good

Comes down to pitching. Holcombe supposedly made a big jump in the Fall. We get 2 more quality arms back in Simmons and Auger. New PC has been impressive to everyone.

Let's roll

basedog
12-20-2023, 01:50 PM
I stopped reading right here

Key word Todd wrote was "should", I'm not positive just yet but we "should" make the tournament.

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 01:53 PM
Key word Todd wrote was "should", I'm not positive just yet but we "should" make the tournament.

We "should" make the tournament.

Super regional is a little far fetched

Coach34
12-20-2023, 01:55 PM

How so? We certainly have the talent.

confucius say
12-20-2023, 01:56 PM
Solid.
Lineup will be old. As of today:
DJ in right
Hujsak in center
Chance in left
Mershon/Cupp at SS
Kohler at third
Larry/Cupp at second
Hines at first
Highfill at catcher

Pitching will be the key, as always. I think it will be improved. Question is how much.

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 02:00 PM
I think we'll be decent. Just don't think we did enough to address some needs to be back yet. Y'all are expecting a major turnaround and I just don't think that's realistic. We can improve a lot from last year and still be a pretty average team

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 02:03 PM
We "should" make the tournament.

Not really. Unless we get the regional of death and we're a 2 seed we should be able to beat a four seed like a Marist and a 3 like say Samford or an average ACC team. Then all we have to do is beat the 1 seed.

So no it's not that far fetched unless you think we're worse than Samford.

And if we don't make it to a SR then we should find another head coach.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 02:05 PM
Solid.
DJ in right
Hujsak in center
Chance in left
Mershon/Cupp at SS
Kohler at third
Larry/Cupp at second
Hines at first
Highfill at catcher

Pitching will be the key, as always. I think it will be improved. Question is how much.

I dont see us sitting Larry to play Chance.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 02:06 PM
I think we'll be decent. Just don't think we did enough to address some needs to be back yet. Y'all are expecting a major turnaround and I just don't think that's realistic. We can improve a lot from last year and still be a pretty average team

I'm curious as to what you think we didn't address?

The number one thing we needed was a pitching coach. And I don't think our fans really fathom how bad it was the past two years. We had guys literally going to their private coaches and high school coaches for help to try to find answers.

Defense? We got a new third baseman and a new shortstop if it's not Mershon. Highfill should be better.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 02:08 PM

I don't either. But odds are we'll find a spot for both anyway.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 02:08 PM
Solid.
DJ in right
Hujsak in center
Chance in left
Mershon/Cupp at SS
Kohler at third
Larry/Cupp at second
Hines at first
Highfill at catcher

Cupp should start at SS unless he struggles to adjust at the plate.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 02:10 PM

We have 4 guys that will be drafted in the Top 5 rounds of the MLB draft next summer. Talent should find its way to production

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 02:16 PM
I'm curious as to what you think we didn't address?

The number one thing we needed was a pitching coach. And I don't think our fans really fathom how bad it was the past two years. We had guys literally going to their private coaches and high school coaches for help to try to find answers.

Defense? We got a new third baseman and a new shortstop if it's not Mershon. Highfill should be better.

I'm just taking a wait and see approach before I place any sort of expectations on this team. I thought we would be decent in 2022. We weren't. I thought we would be improved in 2023. We weren't.

Kohler will be better than Alford, but he had a high K% in the AAC. His glove will be better.

We're relying on some hitters who don't have much experience or production. Not saying they can't do it, but we're having to hope.

We got some decent arms with potential but are far from proven. I acknowledged Parker should help. I just don't think he helps so much that we're back in a super regional yet.

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 02:17 PM
We have 4 guys that will be drafted in the Top 5 rounds of the MLB draft next summer. Talent should find its way to production
"We hope."

Young dawg
12-20-2023, 02:17 PM
I think we will have a chance to surprise a lot of people. We have a lot of talent and guys that play hard. Also don?t be shocked if Holmcombe looks like and early draft pick after this year

basedog
12-20-2023, 02:18 PM

Mainly because we fell off the wagon last two years, last and next to last not making Sec tourney, poor coaching and decisions. We lacked hustle at times and lack of motivation. I'm gonna pull hard for this team and no doubt we will be better, but there are some loaded teams ahead of us right now. Time for this bunch to prove they are worthy and not some paper champion wanna be's .

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Mainly because we fell off the wagon last two years, last and next to last not making Sec tourney, poor coaching and decisions. We lacked hustle at times and lack of motivation. I'm gonna pull hard for this team and no doubt we will be better, but there are some loaded teams ahead of us right now. Time for this bunch to prove they are worthy and not some paper champion wanna be's .
Correct.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 02:25 PM
I'm gonna pull hard for this team and no doubt we will be better, but there are some loaded teams ahead of us right now. Time for this bunch to prove they are worthy and not some paper champion wanna be's .

agree completely

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 03:01 PM
I'm just taking a wait and see approach before I place any sort of expectations on this team. I thought we would be decent in 2022. We weren't. I thought we would be improved in 2023. We weren't.

Kohler will be better than Alford, but he had a high K% in the AAC. His glove will be better.

We're relying on some hitters who don't have much experience or production. Not saying they can't do it, but we're having to hope.

We got some decent arms with potential but are far from proven. I acknowledged Parker should help. I just don't think he helps so much that we're back in a super regional yet.

Im with you. Everyone should be on the wait and see and most people including me have been on the fire Lemonis train

Coach34
12-20-2023, 03:04 PM
I'd go with this to start the season:

Mershon 2B
Larry LF
Hines 1B
Jordan RF
Kohler 3B
Hugesak CF
Highfill C
Chance DH
Cupp SS

F- Holcombe
S- Loo
Su- ????

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 03:06 PM

Dakota and Hines are very dangerous. Hunter could hit 25 home runs this year. Highfill is a good hitter and will be better. Mershon played a lot. We get Larry back and he is solid. Bryce Chance was one of our better hitters against SEC competition. Hujsack should have played more than he did. He had a strong summer.

Kohler should give us what Alford did but with better defense. He hit SEC pitching well last year at Memphis- I believe he hit a home run against us and Ole Miss. Cupp is really the only inexperienced hitter we have and he was thought to be a potential first round pick. He's not your typical recruit.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 03:08 PM
"We hope."

Dakota, Colby, Nate Dohm, and Hunter Hines. They'll be drafted there regardless of how we do next season.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Im with you. Everyone should be on the wait and see and most people including me have been on the fire Lemonis train

Lemonis is not a Tony LaRussa type. How well he does is based on how good his assistants are. He makes out the lineup card, recruits, talks to the media, and runs practice.

And for baseball- that's Ok. That's all we really need.

confucius say
12-20-2023, 03:20 PM

I think both will play. Larry might dh if Cupp and Mershon win the middle infield jobs. But I expect Larry to start at second.
Chance is a better outfielder than Larry right now. Maybe Larry can close that gap in the spring.

sandjunky
12-20-2023, 03:26 PM
We?ll be 3-9 at best heading into UGA series- it?ll be an uphill climb

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 03:28 PM
Dakota, Colby, Nate Dohm, and Hunter Hines. They'll be drafted there regardless of how we do next season.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing that

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 03:30 PM
Dakota and Hines are very dangerous. Hunter could hit 25 home runs this year. Highfill is a good hitter and will be better. Mershon played a lot. We get Larry back and he is solid. Bryce Chance was one of our better hitters against SEC competition. Hujsack should have played more than he did. He had a strong summer.

Kohler should give us what Alford did but with better defense. He hit SEC pitching well last year at Memphis- I believe he hit a home run against us and Ole Miss. Cupp is really the only inexperienced hitter we have and he was thought to be a potential first round pick. He's not your typical recruit.

I mean all that is great and all but we're still doing a lot of hoping. Not saying it won't happen but I'm just going to have to see it first. My benefit of the doubt went out the window when we won 18 conference games in 2 years

Coach34
12-20-2023, 04:35 PM

So will Loo

State82
12-20-2023, 05:12 PM
The number one thing we needed was a pitching coach.

This is absolutely the truth. By far our number one need. Seems like we scored on that for sure.

Saltydog
12-20-2023, 05:23 PM
We will be better but that's not saying much when you finished next to last in the league. The top part of the order should be fine but if we get one or two people hurt we could be in trouble. Pitching is still a question mark. There are some decent arms but that doesn't equate to being a good pitcher.

Johnson85
12-20-2023, 05:34 PM
We should be pretty good. Top of the batting order is Top 3 in the country. Defense should be pretty good

Comes down to pitching. Holcombe supposedly made a big jump in the Fall. We get 2 more quality arms back in Simmons and Auger. New PC has been impressive to everyone.

Let's roll

Remind me who this is and how they are top three? Not arguing with you because I'm never deep into baseball and checked out completely last year, but I didn't think we had top three talent across any three or four players. And I would have assumed there would be three big spenders on NIL that would keep us out of the top three even if we improved a lot.

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2023, 06:01 PM
Remind me who this is and how they are top three? Not arguing with you because I'm never deep into baseball and checked out completely last year, but I didn't think we had top three talent across any three or four players. And I would have assumed there would be three big spenders on NIL that would keep us out of the top three even if we improved a lot.

Dakota Jordan and Hunter Hines are two of the three - Dakota is a Top 50 MLB prospect and I think Hines is top 100

IamSomebody
12-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Baseball is still won with pitching and defense. Offensively, we’re going to be good. We have a chance to be good defensively. Pitching is where we have to wait and see.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 06:30 PM

Mershon SS/2B- hit .330 last year as a true freshman-starting the 2nd half of the season. OBP of .427...stole 12/13
Amani Larry- hit .297 with 7 HR's and 16 doubles. OBP of .451 with 34 BB's and 17 HBP's. Stole 19/21. Scored 59 runs
Hunter Hines- .299 career hitter with 38 career HR's- 22 as a Soph. Will be drafted Top 5 rounds-Projected Top 150 in the country. 34 XBH's last year for a .683 slugging (for context- Tanner Allen had 35 XBH's when we won the WS.)
Dakota Jordan- Projected 1st round pick who ended up hitting .307 after a slow start as freshman. 10 HR's, 9 doubles and a triple.

That right there is as good as anybody in the country and better than 95% of college baseball

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 07:03 PM
One big problem is that the best talent wants to play in warm weather and the SEC conference. So everybody in the SEC gets better from the portal. So every SEC team is just so tough. For example, everyone thought MSU was terrible at 9-21 in the league. And Ole Miss was even worse at 6-24. Just terrible. Yet in nonconference games MSU went 18-5 and Ole Miss 19-5. So were we both terrible or just in a tough league? Missouri was 10-20 in the SEC and 20-3 in nonconference. So maybe the conference is the problem. For comparison Maryland was an awesome team in their conference, finishing 17-7. Yet they were only 20-12 in nonconference play. Cal State Fullerton was 20-10 in their conference and 11-12 in nonconference play. Michigan was 13-11 in their conference and 13-15 in nonconference play.

Having said all that, the pitching improvement (or not) will be the key for us. The lineup will be good enough.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2023, 07:46 PM
One big problem is that the best talent wants to play in warm weather and the SEC conference. So everybody in the SEC gets better from the portal. So every SEC team is just so tough. For example, everyone thought MSU was terrible at 9-21 in the league. And Ole Miss was even worse at 6-24. Just terrible. Yet in nonconference games MSU went 18-5 and Ole Miss 19-5. So were we both terrible or just in a tough league? Missouri was 10-20 in the SEC and 20-3 in nonconference. So maybe the conference is the problem. For comparison Maryland was an awesome team in their conference, finishing 17-7. Yet they were only 20-12 in nonconference play. Cal State Fullerton was 20-10 in their conference and 11-12 in nonconference play. Michigan was 13-11 in their conference and 13-15 in nonconference play.

Having said all that, the pitching improvement (or not) will be the key for us. The lineup will be good enough.

SEC is just brutal

sandjunky
12-20-2023, 08:47 PM
What series do we win here:

SEC Slate
LSU
@ TAMU
@ UF
UGA
@ OM
AU
@ Vandy
UAT
@ Ark
MU

Coach34
12-20-2023, 09:02 PM

SEC Slate
LSU
@ TAMU
@ UF
UGA
@ OM
AU
@ Vandy
UAT
@ Ark
MU

Depends on pitching living up to the potential

It’s that simple

smootness
12-20-2023, 09:14 PM
We very well may be quite good this year, but I am not sure some realize just how bad we were last year. We were actually lucky in wins and losses relative to our run differential. We were BAD.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 09:24 PM
We very well may be quite good this year, but I am not sure some realize just how bad we were last year. We were actually lucky in wins and losses relative to our run differential. We were BAD.

That's true. I think part of the reason we didn't have a losing season was because Lemonis had our team playing hard even though we didn't have any pitching whatsoever.

And our bats were pretty good.

Which is why I'm optimistic.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 09:35 PM
That's true. I think part of the reason we didn't have a losing season was because Lemonis had our team playing hard even though we didn't have any pitching whatsoever.

Exactly- we are and should be good offensively. I'm not even worried about that. It's strictly down to the mound. Big Country having a big Fall excites me because He was always the wild card. Purdue's #1 can easily become our #3 on Sunday and give us some quality outings. Loo needs to show growth with his awesome potential. Loftin needs to grow up. Simmons and Auger will provide quality innings.

It's exciting to me to see how the pitching pans out. The O will be there

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 10:17 PM
Exactly- we are and should be good offensively. I'm not even worried about that. It's strictly down to the mound. Big Country having a big Fall excites me because He was always the wild card. Purdue's #1 can easily become our #3 on Sunday and give us some quality outings. Loo needs to show growth with his awesome potential. Loftin needs to grow up. Simmons and Auger will provide quality innings.

It's exciting to me to see how the pitching pans out. The O will be there

A lot of our fans have forgotten about Auger and Simmons. Auger was up to 96 this fall. Simmons can close if no one else steps up. That takes pressure off of Dohm. And we have Cam Schuelke who is going to be really good out of the pen and give us something we haven't really had under Lemonis- someone that can attack hitters from different arm angles.

AlSwearengen
12-20-2023, 10:39 PM
We need to add a little dog and toughness. It wouldn’t hurt to put a little gun powder in the whole team’s food.

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 10:54 PM

We didnt have a losing season??

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2023, 11:13 PM
We didnt have a losing season??
Won more than we lost, so yes.
SEC not so much.

maroonmania
12-20-2023, 11:14 PM
I think we will be pretty decent but I think we blew our chance to move back into the top half of the SEC when we could not pull any elite players from the portal. We got several good support players from the portal but I don't think we got any true topline guys when there were several available both in the field and pitching wise. We are now mostly dependent on a number of existing players making a significant jump this year.

The Federalist Engineer
12-20-2023, 11:28 PM
Just being decent in pitching gets MSU to Hoover. In 2023, the pitching was not just bad, its was catastrophe bad. Especially versus SEC competition.

I think the growth of Freshman pitchers and having an array of decent transfers will provide MSU with the 6 to 7 decent arms to win more ball games than last year.

Hitting has been SEC mediocre for years. But you have Hines and Jordan as big weapons. The rest is all potential and hypotheticals.

Defense has scrapped E5 at 3B and Foreskin is gone, so the bat and the defense can only be better in 2024. You have serious competition for infield spots, will keep everyone sharp.

Outcome for the Team, completely unknown. I suppose many 13th and 14th place SEC teams have made Supers and Omaha over the years. A winning SEC record will be a big outcome for 2023. Not saying the boys are not good, just acknowledging that all SEC have talent, blue chip recruits, 1st rounders, and huge potential. Also, this is baseball, we don't really know how much a leap the kids have made until we see them again.

Cooterpoot
12-21-2023, 11:31 AM
I predict a regional on the road, because the schedule is brutal. Could see us in a super if we get a good draw but that's a big IF.
Pitching and defense will be improved.

Commercecomet24
12-21-2023, 11:40 AM
We're gonna hit and score runs, defense should be much improved,as always it comes down to pitching. Got a lot of potential on the mound and our new PC is a good un. I expect us to be in a regional and if we get the right draw could be in a super as well.

preachermatt83
12-21-2023, 12:30 PM
Make a regional and that?s progress. If he doesn?t make a regional he?s done. I still have faith in him though. I think we get in as a 2 seed

Commercecomet24
12-21-2023, 12:48 PM

Great post. Some on here said the team quit, but I never saw that. The offense kept producing and the kids played hard, but we couldn't stop a lineup of 9 year olds with our pitching last year. We blew multiple big leads after the 6th inning. If we would've had just average pitching we would've had at least 35 wins. I haven't seen pitching as bad as that since 9 year old kid pitch. You know a bunch of strikeouts, a bunch of walks and hbps and home runs, that's how bad it was.

Coach34
12-21-2023, 12:57 PM
Hitting has been SEC mediocre for years. But you have Hines and Jordan as big weapons. The rest is all potential and hypotheticals

You would have to include Larry as a big proven weapon- he had a really good year last year

You also have to be excited about Mershon and what he did the 2nd half of the season. He built his stats in SEC games basically.

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2023, 01:48 PM
You would have to include Larry as a big proven weapon- he had a really good year last year

You also have to be excited about Mershon and what he did the 2nd half of the season. He built his stats in SEC games basically.

Mershon also seemed to have that dirtbag attitude that we were missing.

Commercecomet24
12-21-2023, 02:18 PM

Yeah 100%.

StarkVegasSteve
12-21-2023, 03:42 PM
Make a regional and that?s progress. If he doesn?t make a regional he?s done. I still have faith in him though. I think we get in as a 2 seed

Nah. It is a host a regional and honestly it may be make a SR. He is making too much money and this is the end of the talent cycle as well. If he does not make serious noise then it is time to move in a different direction. He has been given two mulligans. As I have said for 3 years, that stadium was not built for April. It was built for June.

WSOPdawg
12-21-2023, 03:52 PM
Nah. It is a host a regional and honestly it may be make a SR. He is making too much money and this is the end of the talent cycle as well. If he does not make serious noise then it is time to move in a different direction. He has been given two mulligans. As I have said for 3 years, that stadium was not built for April. It was built for June.

^^^ This can't be stated enough.

Todd4State
12-21-2023, 03:58 PM
Great post. Some on here said the team quit, but I never saw that. The offense kept producing and the kids played hard, but we couldn't stop a lineup of 9 year olds with our pitching last year. We blew multiple big leads after the 6th inning. If we would've had just average pitching we would've had at least 35 wins. I haven't seen pitching as bad as that since 9 year old kid pitch. You know a bunch of strikeouts, a bunch of walks and hbps and home runs, that's how bad it was.

I think some our fans think that because we lose a game or a series or whatever it's because we "didn't play hard enough". But like you said we would blow a lead late and then our guys would come back from it. And then the pitching would blow the lead again! We would lose a game like 13-12 and we would have fans that would blame the offense. It's just crazy to me! How do you come to that conclusion? Tanner Allen, Jake Mangum, Rowdey, and Elijah MacNamee wouldn't have been able to overcome our pitching staff the last two years either. And it sure wouldn't have been because of their lack of playing hard.

This team had a massive comeback against LSU last year and won that series, played their ass off against Ole Miss to come from behind to win that series, beat the greatest USM team ever or so I was told by their fans and etc. And some of that happened after this team had nothing to play for and no pitching coach.

Todd4State
12-21-2023, 04:11 PM

End of a talent cycle? Our talent in 2025 has a very real chance to be as good as it has ever been here.

Rotation could be Loo, Loftin, and Siary. Caden Marcum is a huge wild card there but he was a first round pick out of high school and then had Tommy John before the draft and ended up in JUCO. He could be a huge steal for us. I think Makhai Grant and Nolan Stevens could be big time contributors out of the bullpen as well once Grant recovers from Tommy John and he should be recovered by next season.

Highfill will be a junior. Assuming Hines goes pro Jackson McKenzie or Stevens will take over for him. They'll be sophomores. Then we get Mershon and Cupp back and a year older. Third base will be up for grabs but Paul Spalitta could potentially move there and then we're probably getting Henry Allen through the draft and he probably starts day one somewhere.

Assuming we lose Dakota Jordan we have a ton of guys that can play the outfield and Dante Nori could start day one in CF. We get Bryce Chance back and he will be an upperclassman. Allen, Stevens, and Spalitta could all fight for spots in the OF. Conrad Cason is one of the top dual position prospects in the country and he could help out on the mound, 3B, SS, or the OF.

And based on what I'm hearing I think we have a good chance to get those guys through the draft. At least at this way too early point.

I know a mentioned a few freshman but with the portal and a good season we don't really have a ton of needs. We'll take any pitcher that can help us and it would be great to find an established closer like an Aaron Nixon again. Maybe a proven third baseman and another OF but those needs are hardly massive and very doable with our NIL. If the season goes like I think it will it will be easier to get those players too.

Now I do agree that if we don't perform this year then you have to look at firing Lemonis. I just don't think it will come down to that.

bulldogcountry1
12-21-2023, 04:27 PM
I'm on the side that believes we have good talent. The pitching execution was just atrocious last year. That impacted everything. If we cut just cut down on walks and compete on the mound, that will make all the difference in the morale of the team.

To get back to a host-level team, we have got to have leadership that hates to lose. We need guys who want the ball or bat when the game is on the line. I feel like we have some good candidates.

StarkVegasSteve
12-21-2023, 04:32 PM
End of a talent cycle? Our talent in 2025 has a very real chance to be as good as it has ever been here.

Rotation could be Loo, Loftin, and Siary. Caden Marcum is a huge wild card there but he was a first round pick out of high school and then had Tommy John before the draft and ended up in JUCO. He could be a huge steal for us. I think Makhai Grant and Nolan Stevens could be big time contributors out of the bullpen as well once Grant recovers from Tommy John and he should be recovered by next season.

Highfill will be a junior. Assuming Hines goes pro Jackson McKenzie or Stevens will take over for him. They'll be sophomores. Then we get Mershon and Cupp back and a year older. Third base will be up for grabs but Paul Spalitta could potentially move there and then we're probably getting Henry Allen through the draft and he probably starts day one somewhere.

Assuming we lose Dakota Jordan we have a ton of guys that can play the outfield and Dante Nori could start day one in CF. We get Bryce Chance back and he will be an upperclassman. Allen, Stevens, and Spalitta could all fight for spots in the OF. Conrad Cason is one of the top dual position prospects in the country and he could help out on the mound, 3B, SS, or the OF.

And based on what I'm hearing I think we have a good chance to get those guys through the draft. At least at this way too early point.

I know a mentioned a few freshman but with the portal and a good season we don't really have a ton of needs. We'll take any pitcher that can help us and it would be great to find an established closer like an Aaron Nixon again. Maybe a proven third baseman and another OF but those needs are hardly massive and very doable with our NIL. If the season goes like I think it will it will be easier to get those players too.

Now I do agree that if we don't perform this year then you have to look at firing Lemonis. I just don't think it will come down to that.

The reason I say talent cycle is because every guy you mentioned is solely on potential. They have either not shown it at all or not shown it consistently at this level. Those other guys (Jordan, Hines, Larry, etc.) are proven commodities at this level. If those guys you mentioned all produce then it is all a moot point.

Todd4State
12-21-2023, 04:49 PM
The reason I say talent cycle is because every guy you mentioned is solely on potential. They have either not shown it at all or not shown it consistently at this level. Those other guys (Jordan, Hines, Larry, etc.) are proven commodities at this level. If those guys you mentioned all produce then it is all a moot point.

It's fair to project that by this time next year those guys will have improved quite a bit after having gone through a SEC season and a season of Summer Baseball.

Usually if a team has elite starting pitching they're going to be very good. We could conceivably have three MLB.com top 100 pitchers in our rotation next year in their junior year in 2025.

Commercecomet24
12-21-2023, 04:50 PM
I think some our fans think that because we lose a game or a series or whatever it's because we "didn't play hard enough". But like you said we would blow a lead late and then our guys would come back from it. And then the pitching would blow the lead again! We would lose a game like 13-12 and we would have fans that would blame the offense. It's just crazy to me! How do you come to that conclusion? Tanner Allen, Jake Mangum, Rowdey, and Elijah MacNamee wouldn't have been able to overcome our pitching staff the last two years either. And it sure wouldn't have been because of their lack of playing hard.

This team had a massive comeback against LSU last year and won that series, played their ass off against Ole Miss to come from behind to win that series, beat the greatest USM team ever or so I was told by their fans and etc. And some of that happened after this team had nothing to play for and no pitching coach.

Nailed it. The kids played hard all year and that's a credit to Lemonis and shows he didn't "lose" the team. I just can't say enough how truly bad our pitching was, it was historically bad. That go for strikeouts, pitch away from contact approach absolutely killed our pitching staff. Get ahead 0-2 and then throw 3 straight non-competitive breaking balls to get the hitter back in the count and then either walk the hitter on another bad breaking ball or groove a fastball that gets destroyed. Our pitching was way to predictabale. Just lay off the bad stuff and get our pitchers behind and then you either get a walk or big fat meatball to hit. Parker has changed that approach and i believe we'll challenge more hitters this year(thank heavens!). I hate nibbling!

Todd4State
12-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Nailed it. The kids played hard all year and that's a credit to Lemonis and shows he didn't "lose" the team. I just can't say enough how truly bad our pitching was, it was historically bad. That go for strikeouts, pitch away from contact approach absolutely killed our pitching staff. Get ahead 0-2 and then throw 3 straight non-competitive breaking balls to get the hitter back in the count and then either walk the hitter on another bad breaking ball or groove a fastball that gets destroyed. Our pitching was way to predictabale. Just lay off the bad stuff and get our pitchers behind and then you either get a walk or big fat meatball to hit. Parker has changed that approach and i believe we'll challenge more hitters this year(thank heavens!). I hate nibbling!

Exactly. I usually stay away from commenting on pitch selection because I don't have the scouting report. But when it's like what you are talking about where we're literally pitching every hitter the same way no matter what- there is zero chance in hell everyone has the same scouting report. I felt bad for our pitchers. I could see in their face that they didn't have any confidence in what they were being asked to do sometimes. I saw a couple of pitchers go off the rails last season at times which I don't condone but I also understand why in this situation.

Pitching isn't like football where your team picks a style and everyone goes with it. Pitchers all have unique skill sets. Different types of fastball and breaking balls. Different spin rates. Different arm angles. Every pitching plan for each pitcher has to be individualized to that pitcher. That's where the pitching lab comes in. And that's where Foxhall ultimately failed. You can't make it one size fits all with pitchers.

I feel bad for guys like Parker Stinnett and KC Hunt. They could have been really developed into next level pitchers with proper coaching.

CaptainObvious
12-21-2023, 05:30 PM
I also think this team under Lemonis tutelage will be 3-9, maybe 4-8 going into the UGA game. There has been talent the past 2 years on this team. Some of it is still here. But the coaching staff only had one change.

Will the pitching be better? Maybe. But, has Parker removed all the bad habits in one fall? Not likely. And there is no arm that could start for all the top programs that I see.

There are going to still be a couple of holes in the batting order. I would rather see 9 guys all hitting .290 with 25 xbhs than 2 guys batting .360 and 4 guys batting .240 or less. The latter is what I fear against SEC pitching.

I say 32-24 (12-18 SEC) after that horrible 3-9 SEC start.

Oh, and if they do start 3-9 or worse in the SEC, there should be an Interim HC when State plays Georgia.

basedog
12-21-2023, 06:33 PM
I'm not gonna get all into this but I disagree with some things posted. I will say our coaching decisions were iffy a lot. Also there were several games played that our kids showed no energy. This wasn't MSU baseball. We were a soft baseball team last year.
I'm all in for this year, but sugar coating making excuses isn't making me feel good about last year. In saying this, I'm turning the page and will support our program and hope we get back to playing MSU baseball that I know.

dawgoneyall
12-21-2023, 07:11 PM
Until he stops putting the third baseman on second we will never win.

State82
12-21-2023, 07:14 PM
I hate nibbling!

Infuriating.

Pancho
12-21-2023, 07:15 PM
Parker will have our pitchers attacking hitters weaknesses

SpaceBully
12-21-2023, 09:44 PM
I like Larry as my leadoff or possibly 2nd.

Todd4State
12-22-2023, 03:17 AM
I'm not gonna get all into this but I disagree with some things posted. I will say our coaching decisions were iffy a lot. Also there were several games played that our kids showed no energy. This wasn't MSU baseball. We were a soft baseball team last year.
I'm all in for this year, but sugar coating making excuses isn't making me feel good about last year. In saying this, I'm turning the page and will support our program and hope we get back to playing MSU baseball that I know.

Did we play with our hair on fire the entire season? No. I'm not sure we did that in 2021 either- remember when we got swept by Arkansas that year?

As far as the season as a whole- we didn't just tank. We kept on fighting for the most part until the last series.

basedog
12-22-2023, 08:18 AM
Did we play with our hair on fire the entire season? No. I'm not sure we did that in 2021 either- remember when we got swept by Arkansas that year?

As far as the season as a whole- we didn't just tank. We kept on fighting for the most part until the last series.

Doesn't matter, you play every inning and every game with energy. Lemonis sat by and watched the ship sink, more went on than most know. I'm hoping all will be good this year, no doubt new pitching coach is a start, but we have to get the players in the correct positions and Lord knows, ones that are head cases and cause problems in the dugout need to go.
Nothing wrong with being positive leading the cheer squad, but potential is just a word used way too much. Give me guys that play all out with hustle and desire all day long.

The start of the season in Sec play will tell the story.

Commercecomet24
12-22-2023, 09:56 AM
Doesn't matter, you play every inning and every game with energy. Lemonis sat by and watched the ship sink, more went on than most know. I'm hoping all will be good this year, no doubt new pitching coach is a start, but we have to get the players in the correct positions and Lord knows, ones that are head cases and cause problems in the dugout need to go.
Nothing wrong with being positive leading the cheer squad, but potential is just a word used way too much. Give me guys that play all out with hustle and desire all day long.

Base, I always respect your takes and opinions, because I know you're not just talking out of your butt. If you say there were more issues than we know then I 100% trust you on that. Let's hope Lemonis has learned from the disaster and I hope we turn it around this season, as well. I want to see the MSU baseball i know and love. And you're right the start of SEC play will tell us what we need to know. Appreciate your takes!

basedog
12-22-2023, 10:17 AM
Base, I always respect your takes and opinions, because I know you're not just talking out of your butt. If you say there were more issues than we know then I 100% trust you on that. Let's hope Lemonis has learned from the disaster and I hope we turn it around this season, as well. I want to see the MSU baseball i know and love. And you're right the start of SEC play will tell us what we need to know. Appreciate your takes!

I said the year we won the Natty we needed to celebrate BUT put it behind us and go back to work (I told my daughter this). Instead, we didn't work hard and get prepared for what was ahead which was a target on our backs. What makes Saban so good and Skip Bertman was the drive to succeed every year and not get lazy with practice and recruiting. I'm just amazed how fast we fell after winning the Natty. Then seeing team chemistry being destroyed and letting things go was bad. Hey, it happens I know, but we had too many good ole boys and everything is ok and we can turn this around until it's too late. A few players is all it takes to destroy team chemistry, Coaches and Players have to step up and be leaders. Hey I know I'm a little critical of how we handled things, but it shouldn't have happened. We took a big step back on our tradition and things are about to really get tough in years to come with Tx and Ok coming into the league.
I like Lemonis, but he has to show some fire and emotion and not just sit on the bucket to start the year. I'm pulling for him, I hope we make a regional and do well, show me the Baseball Program I know and I love! I guess my rant is over, I hate what I saw the last two years, should not have happened.
Again, I wish Lemonis and team the best this year, I will be attending and supporting.

RockyDog
12-22-2023, 10:23 AM
I also think this team under Lemonis tutelage will be 3-9, maybe 4-8 going into the UGA game. There has been talent the past 2 years on this team. Some of it is still here. But the coaching staff only had one change.

Will the pitching be better? Maybe. But, has Parker removed all the bad habits in one fall? Not likely. And there is no arm that could start for all the top programs that I see.

There are going to still be a couple of holes in the batting order. I would rather see 9 guys all hitting .290 with 25 xbhs than 2 guys batting .360 and 4 guys batting .240 or less. The latter is what I fear against SEC pitching.

I say 32-24 (12-18 SEC) after that horrible 3-9 SEC start.

Oh, and if they do start 3-9 or worse in the SEC, there should be an Interim HC when State plays Georgia.

Tough road schedule for sure. Could potentially be 4-11 or 5-10 heading to SBW and if you don't sweep Auburn, the hole gets deeper and you hit the road for Vandy and finish up the road series at Arky 2 weeks later. Gonna have to pull some major upsets on the road and not slip up losing a series at home to even sniff a chance at 15-15.

BrunswickDawg
12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
I said the year we won the Natty we needed to celebrate BUT put it behind us and go back to work (I told my daughter this). Instead, we didn't work hard and get prepared for what was ahead which was a target on our backs. What makes Saban so good and Skip Bertman was the drive to succeed every year and not get lazy with practice and recruiting. I'm just amazed how fast we fell after winning the Natty. Then seeing team chemistry being destroyed and letting things go was bad. Hey, it happens I know, but we had too many good ole boys and everything is ok and we can turn this around until it's too late. A few players is all it takes to destroy team chemistry, Coaches and Players have to step up and be leaders. Hey I know I'm a little critical of how we handled things, but it shouldn't have happened. We took a big step back on our tradition and things are about to really get tough in years to come with Tx and Ok coming into the league.
I like Lemonis, but he has to show some fire and emotion and not just sit on the bucket to start the year. I'm pulling for him, I hope we make a regional and do well, show me the Baseball Program I know and I love! I guess my rant is over, I hate what I saw the last two years, should not have happened.
Again, I wish Lemonis and team the best this year, I will be attending and supporting.

Not excusing it, but I think it was bound to happen to whichever MSU program won the Natty first. As a University - let alone a fan base - it was a huge albatross hanging around our necks that we had never gotten a title. And even more so with baseball because they had had so many opportunities. And you are right, we didn't get back to work for '22, and then to compound it we lost so many pitchers there was no way to fight it. I'm not as upset about '22 as I was about the '23 season. '22 you at least have the Natty hangover and the pitching injuries to point to. '23 was just down right inexplicable and inexcusable. Lemonis $!^$ or gets off the bucket this season.

MabenMaroon
12-22-2023, 12:14 PM

SEC Slate
LSU
@ TAMU
@ UF
UGA
@ OM
AU
@ Vandy
UAT
@ Ark
MU

I could see winning 6 or 7 of those series with some decent pitching and then not get swept in more than 1 or 2 of the others. If that happens you have 14/15 win conference record which would put us in pretty good steed for post season. (I see series wins against TAMU, UGA, OM, AU, UAT and Mizzu maybe UF)

Commercecomet24
12-22-2023, 12:17 PM

I agree 100%. Winning championships almost became like a drug to me. Win one big title and you become hungry for the next one and can't wait to get the next season started to go after another. I do think in our case, however(and this is not an excuse), we had been so close so many times, that winning it all in 2021 was almost like a release or relief. I think it was a weight off of everyones shoulders(admin, coaches, players, fans, etc..), and we RELAXED to much. The mulligans are over and its time for this staff and team to crap or get off the pot. Show me you weren't a one hit wonder, Lemonis. I want to see you and the team succeed, now git r done!

Coursesuper
12-22-2023, 12:21 PM
I agree 100%. Winning championships almost became like a drug to me. Win one big title and you become hungry for the next one and can't wait to get the next season started to go after another. I do think in our case, however(and this is not an excuse), we had been so close so many times, that winning it all in 2021 was almost like a release or relief. I think it was a weight off of everyones shoulders(admin, coaches, players, fans, etc..), and we RELAXED to much. The mulligans are over and its time for this staff and team to crap or get off the pot. Show me you weren't a one hit wonder, Lemonis. I want to see you and the team succeed, now git r done!

The hard part is never getting there, even as much as you fight and scrape, it’s staying there that is the hardest part. We can get there but as of yet we have not shown the ability to remain at the top of the mountain.

Commercecomet24
12-22-2023, 12:23 PM
The hard part is never getting there, even as much as you fight and scrape, it’s staying there that is the hardest part. We can get there but as of yet we have not shown the ability to remain at the top of the mountain.

Definitely hardest part is staying there and requires more work and effort than winning the first one.

Coursesuper
12-22-2023, 12:40 PM
Definitely hardest part is staying there and requires more work and effort than winning the first one.

Absolutely, and in today’s world of collegiate athletics funding and support beyond what it took to get there. All the competition witnessed what you did and will replicate that to win themselves. Gotta keep on keeping on.,

basedog
12-22-2023, 12:43 PM

That is my point. We should have had 2 or 3 more titles and they are very hard to come by. The Natty team had a bunch of dirtbag winners, wasn't the most talented team but maybe the most driven! 89 was the most talented but ran into a buzz saw pitching performance by NC.

basedog
12-22-2023, 12:44 PM
Not excusing it, but I think it was bound to happen to whichever MSU program won the Natty first. As a University - let alone a fan base - it was a huge albatross hanging around our necks that we had never gotten a title. And even more so with baseball because they had had so many opportunities. And you are right, we didn't get back to work for '22, and then to compound it we lost so many pitchers there was no way to fight it. I'm not as upset about '22 as I was about the '23 season. '22 you at least have the Natty hangover and the pitching injuries to point to. '23 was just down right inexplicable and inexcusable. Lemonis $!^$ or gets off the bucket this season.

I agree

Coach34
12-22-2023, 12:49 PM
I could see winning 6 or 7 of those series with some decent pitching and then not get swept in more than 1 or 2 of the others. If that happens you have 14/15 win conference record which would put us in pretty good steed for post season. (I see series wins against TAMU, UGA, OM, AU, UAT and Mizzu maybe UF)

With that schedule- 15-15 is a good season. Should put us around 35-36 wins headed to Hoover. A record of 35-18 or so heading into postseason is a good season that puts us in a good situation moving into June

Todd4State
12-22-2023, 01:28 PM

Remember last year when we started what? Like 0-7 and then 1-8 in SEC play? We ended up with 9 SEC wins the last seven weeks. So we finished a respectable 8-13 in SEC play.

I don't doubt that there were issues on the team last year but it's up to Lemonis to fix that. And whether that's running off Alford and keeping someone else I trust his judgement on that. Losing causes issues like that sometimes.

At the end of the day the question is did hiring Parker improve us by at least 3-4 SEC wins? I think the answer is yes. And if I'm wrong then I'll be the first one at the Palemeiro Center door holding the pink slip.

And if we get in the postseason with a 13-17 record we're not going to be any worse than a three seed at a regional against a team that plays a lot weaker competition than the SEC.

Todd4State
12-22-2023, 01:34 PM
I agree 100%. Winning championships almost became like a drug to me. Win one big title and you become hungry for the next one and can't wait to get the next season started to go after another. I do think in our case, however(and this is not an excuse), we had been so close so many times, that winning it all in 2021 was almost like a release or relief. I think it was a weight off of everyones shoulders(admin, coaches, players, fans, etc..), and we RELAXED to much. The mulligans are over and it's time for this staff and team to crap or get off the pot. Show me you weren't a one hit wonder, Lemonis. I want to see you and the team succeed, now git r done!

I think it was a combination of factors. I think you are right about a lot of it. I think we got away from our identity. MSU baseball has long been built on playing the game the right way. That's why we have been successful. It plays up. In 2022 we looked like an entitled Daddy Ball collegiate travel ball team. Everyone trying to hit a home run. No speed- really limited what we could do on the bases. Every pitcher trying to throw as hard as they can and trying to strike everyone out. We became a parody for everything wrong with the game at the amateur level right now.

Offense got back to our identity in 2023. Pitching did not. I believe they have now.

And I'm not saying those things are bad like creating velocity but at the end of the day you still have to play the game the right way to win.

smootness
12-22-2023, 01:37 PM
Remember last year when we started what? Like 0-7 and then 1-8 in SEC play? We ended up with 9 SEC wins the last seven weeks. So we finished a respectable 8-13 in SEC play.

I don't doubt that there were issues on the team last year but it's up to Lemonis to fix that. And whether that's running off Alford and keeping someone else I trust his judgement on that. Losing causes issues like that sometimes.

At the end of the day the question is did hiring Parker improve us by at least 3-4 SEC wins? I think the answer is yes. And if I'm wrong then I'll be the first one at the Palemeiro Center door holding the pink slip.

And if we get in the postseason with a 13-17 record we're not going to be any worse than a three seed at a regional against a team that plays a lot weaker competition than the SEC.

We still had a RD of -48 in those last 21 SEC games. That is not close to a .500 team. Again, we could be good this year, but it will take a really big turnaround to get there. Acting like we were not that far off from being solid last year is just not reality.

confucius say
12-22-2023, 02:40 PM
We still had a RD of -48 in those last 21 SEC games. That is not close to a .500 team. Again, we could be good this year, but it will take a really big turnaround to get there. Acting like we were not that far off from being solid last year is just not reality.

Disagree. RD is a bad metric to use for that purpose. When you're down 7-2 and save pitching so you lose 17-4 instead of 9-4, RD doesn't tell the whole story.

I do agree that we were several pieces away from being solid last year though. A clean left side of the infield (hopefully addressed), a good catcher (highfill got much better last year so hopefully that continues) and much better pitching (hopefully addressed).

smootness
12-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Disagree. RD is a bad metric to use for that purpose. When you're down 7-2 and save pitching so you lose 17-4 instead of 9-4, RD doesn't tell the whole story.

I do agree that we were several pieces away from being solid last year though. A clean left side of the infield (hopefully addressed), a good catcher (highfill got much better last year so hopefully that continues) and much better pitching (hopefully addressed).

RD is a much better predictor of future results than W-L.

Homedawg
12-22-2023, 07:39 PM

Yep.

preachermatt83
12-22-2023, 07:47 PM
With that schedule- 15-15 is a good season. Should put us around 35-36 wins headed to Hoover. A record of 35-18 or so heading into postseason is a good season that puts us in a good situation moving into June

I see zero way this team gets to 15 sec wins

confucius say
12-22-2023, 08:04 PM

Maybe in MLB or when you're not throwing off in college. But otherwise, I disagree.

When we throw off in game 1 vs Skenes and lose by 20 that has no indication of how games 2 and 3 will go. See last year when we won games 2 and 3 vs LSU.

But I'm open minded. Can you give me any college baseball analytic that supports the notion that RD is a better indicator of future results than W-L? If so, does that analytic take into account when a team throws off?

Todd4State
12-22-2023, 08:07 PM

I'm sure we were run ruled a few times. And I'm sure the analytics probably say we were "lucky".

But the reality is this is a completely different team we have now. With a completely different pitching coach. If we get our team ERA in the 5's it is going to make a big difference.

I don't think you can really use stats to compare or predict the future of this team because our pitching was such an outlier.

Coach34
12-22-2023, 08:10 PM
I see zero way this team gets to 15 sec wins

And I dont see how they dont. Too much talent. Scouts are gushing about Big Country's Fall. Throwing him out there with Simmons and Auger behind him will win more nights than not. Top 4 of our batting order is as good as anybody and better than most. Gonna be the most drafted we have had in awhile.

Ready for 1st pitch

Todd4State
12-22-2023, 08:10 PM
Oh and I want to add this. We have several pitchers who struggled badly that are suddenly performing much better now that they are in the pros- Eric Cerentola has turned heads in the Arizona Fall League. And Andrew Walling and Jackson Fristoe are coming around too. KC Hunt dominated the Cape Cod League after our season was over before going pro.

I don't think any of this is a coincidence.

Coach34
12-22-2023, 08:12 PM
I'm sure we were run ruled a few times. And I'm sure the analytics probably say we were "lucky".

But the reality is this is a completely different team we have now. With a completely different pitching coach. If we get our team ERA in the 5's it is going to make a big difference.

I don't think you can really use stats to compare or predict the future of this team because our pitching was such an outlier.

Not to mention we threw a bunch of true freshman out there to get innings and experience. Should be some quality growth as Sophs

BrunswickDawg
12-22-2023, 10:12 PM
Oh and I want to add this. We have several pitchers who struggled badly that are suddenly performing much better now that they are in the pros- Eric Cerentola has turned heads in the Arizona Fall League. And Andrew Walling and Jackson Fristoe are coming around too. KC Hunt dominated the Cape Cod League after our season was over before going pro.

I don't think any of this is a coincidence.

I'm not surprised. In my opinion, our pitching development started declining after Butch left. Henderson was blessed with a bevy of top notch arms that didn't need much coaching, and that carried thru to Foxhall. Foxhall did zero development. And while having 20+ pitchers in '22 helped give us fresh arms in the CWS, it killed the ability of young guys to advance. And someday I'd love ask Fox wtf he was thinking last year, because it didn't look like he was thinking about winning baseball games.

CaptainObvious
12-22-2023, 11:45 PM
Better do something this year. We lose a ton next year!