PDA

View Full Version : Official Early Signing Day Thread

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 07:36 AM
Signing day is upon us!

Ethan Miner has started it off by making it official!

confucius say
12-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Ethan's four dogs and wife must have him up early. I like an early riser

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 07:50 AM
Cam Ball in the boat now as well.

Tight end transfer from Buffalo that 24/7 has ranked as a 4 star transfer.

Mjoelner34
12-20-2023, 08:06 AM
Pounders in.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 08:10 AM
Kpaka in

bulldawg28
12-20-2023, 08:13 AM
These boys are moving fast!

msstate7
12-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Who are the guys to watch today that could go either way?

starkvegasdawg
12-20-2023, 08:18 AM
Pounders in.

There's a dirty 8th grade joke in this somewhere.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 08:19 AM
Tre Wright in

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 08:20 AM
If you can today, head over to Twitter and like our commit tweets/graphics from Mississippi State football.

Helps with exposure and it's very easy to do.

ScoobaDawg
12-20-2023, 08:21 AM
All these are transfers. They don't sign any NLI paperwork like traditional recruits.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 08:27 AM
Bingley Jones in

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 08:33 AM
Van Buren in.

First high school recruit to make it official.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:18 AM
All these are transfers. They don't sign any NLI paperwork like traditional recruits.

My understanding is we will now announce transfers once they sign the SEC financial agreement.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 09:19 AM
Jimothy Lewis in.

Really like him

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:20 AM
Jimothy Lewis is signed. Big offensive lineman.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:21 AM
Jimothy Lewis in.

Really like him

He's got the size and the good hands and feet. He's still learning to play the game. He's got a very high ceiling.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Cyrus Reyes in

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:29 AM
Hilbbler, Daniels, and Sheppard are all in.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Super Mario Craver in

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:53 AM
Elijah Cannon from the state of Florida is in. We flipped his commit from FAU

Thick
12-20-2023, 09:53 AM
We have flipped an FAU CB, Elijah Cannon. Anybody know this fella?

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 09:55 AM
Faulk says CB Elijah Cannon flips from FAU. Info on him?

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2023, 09:56 AM
We have flipped an FAU CB, Eliah Cannon. Anybody know this fella?

This is a good signing. We need the bodies. He's worth a shot. If he doesn't develop, he will enter the portal in 1-2 years. Not a huge offer list.

Thick
12-20-2023, 09:58 AM
He’s 6’1 170, so college weight room will benefit him greatly. Listed as 3* CB/Safety.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 10:05 AM
Jennings in

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 10:10 AM
Gayten and juco DL Sheppard(don’t recall him) in

Thick
12-20-2023, 10:51 AM
Where’s the UTEP WR? Did I miss something, or is he going to jump to AU?

bulldawg28
12-20-2023, 11:04 AM

Still early. Most of the players still haven't signed

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 11:11 AM
Jatavious Johnson. New guy. Defense I guess. CB

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 11:15 AM
Still early. Most of the players still haven't signed

Transfers aren’t really signing anything right now anyway, right?

bulldawg28
12-20-2023, 11:18 AM
Transfers aren’t really signing anything right now anyway, right?

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that's correct.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 11:21 AM
No big surprises so far.

Should continue that way.

The biggest thing we need to watch is others that we might be interested in that are uncommitted or verbally committed elsewhere that don't sign today.

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 11:23 AM
I'm not 100% certain but I believe that's correct.

I feel he will be in the boat. No reason to commit a couple days before NSD to go somewhere else, although today really has no bearing on transfers. Guess they will still be recruited till they enroll.

Maybe transfers could sign scholarship papers to shut it down

bulldawg28
12-20-2023, 11:26 AM
I feel he will be in the boat. No reason to commit a couple days before NSD to go somewhere else, although today really has no bearing on transfers. Guess they will still be recruited till they enroll.

Maybe transfers could sign scholarship papers to shut it down

Agreed.

Lord McBuckethead
12-20-2023, 12:02 PM
Anyword on Hill?

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 12:03 PM
Anyword on Hill?

Not announcing till the army game but if Bama wants him it?s done. If they dont want him as much as he likes it?s us

defiantdog
12-20-2023, 12:13 PM
He signed

BorneDawg
12-20-2023, 12:16 PM
He signed

with who?

defiantdog
12-20-2023, 12:17 PM
with who?

With us

defiantdog
12-20-2023, 12:21 PM
https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10912

KOdawg1
12-20-2023, 12:30 PM
Pretty solid day so far.

Everything has gone as expected. No major surprises. Think we're gonna flip the Stanford WR commit from Georgia later today. Solid player with good tape.

Stonka and Daniel Hill will probably sign today, but we might not know until they announce in January. As long as we land those two, we'll likely have a top 25 class which would be impressive considering the staff has only been assembled for a few weeks.

Hit the portal hard for some defensive pieces and let's get ready for spring ball.

Mjoelner34
12-20-2023, 01:23 PM
JJ Harrell in.

HancockCountyDog
12-20-2023, 01:31 PM
In this new portal world, its hard to get too high or too down on a HS recruiting class, but gotta admit I was hoping for a little more considering all the NIL talk.

It looks like we will get a re-commitment from Stonka, but I think any halfway decent staff gets him back and I really think Ms. Sandra deserves most of the credit and other than that, maybe we get Daniel Hill a kid that is waiting on a firm Bama offer? I just don't see a ton of recruiting wins over other SEC teams. We have done that in the past and I was hoping with NIL money we would maybe make a run at Echoles who is basically kin with J. Banks or maybe make a move with the Oak Grove kids. Now, I do like the Van Buren kid despite his disappointing senior season. I think he is a player. I was just hoping for more.

Instead the new commits we signed are Kai McClendon, Elijah Cannon, Cyrus Reyes, Marcus Ross, Jatavious Johnson, Mario Craver (who was just waiting on a firm offer) and Frisco Magee. Now, I like a few of those guys, especially Magee, but the rest are developmental guys.

It does seem like portal recruiting is going to pick up. We've done really well on the OL, which was needed and we are starting to add playmakers. Obviously, the biggest issue now is front seven portal recruiting. We need at least 3-4 guys on the front seven.

I do think we have kept a lot of our NIL money in place for next year's HS recruiting class.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 02:04 PM
In this new portal world, its hard to get too high or too down on a HS recruiting class, but gotta admit I was hoping for a little more considering all the NIL talk.

It looks like we will get a re-commitment from Stonka, but I think any halfway decent staff gets him back and I really think Ms. Sandra deserves most of the credit and other than that, maybe we get Daniel Hill a kid that is waiting on a firm Bama offer? I just don't see a ton of recruiting wins over other SEC teams. We have done that in the past and I was hoping with NIL money we would maybe make a run at Echoles who is basically kin with J. Banks or maybe make a move with the Oak Grove kids. Now, I do like the Van Buren kid despite his disappointing senior season. I think he is a player. I was just hoping for more.

Instead the new commits we signed are Kai McClendon, Elijah Cannon, Cyrus Reyes, Marcus Ross, Jatavious Johnson, Mario Craver (who was just waiting on a firm offer) and Frisco Magee. Now, I like a few of those guys, especially Magee, but the rest are developmental guys.

It does seem like portal recruiting is going to pick up. We've done really well on the OL, which was needed and we are starting to add playmakers. Obviously, the biggest issue now is front seven portal recruiting. We need at least 3-4 guys on the front seven.

I do think we have kept a lot of our NIL money in place for next year's HS recruiting class.

So you thought in 4 weeks an almost entirely new staff would undo the year under Arnett, the deficits we already had in NIL, and the weak defensive recruiting that was happening in the final year under Leach?

Can you explain why? Because this narrative makes no sense to me. The teams having recruiting success are the teams that are winning AND have a lot of money. The only team I see having recruiting success that was bad last year is Florida, and they have a crap ton more money than we do.

Not sure why folks think Lebby could do much more than he has in the 4 weeks he's been the coach given what he inherited.

HancockCountyDog
12-20-2023, 02:14 PM
So you thought in 4 weeks an almost entirely new staff would undo the year under Arnett, the deficits we already had in NIL, and the weak defensive recruiting that was happening in the final year under Leach?

Can you explain why? Because this narrative makes no sense to me. The teams having recruiting success are the teams that are winning AND have a lot of money. The only team I see having recruiting success that was bad last year is Florida, and they have a crap ton more money than we do.

Not sure why folks think Lebby could do much more than he has in the 4 weeks he's been the coach given what he inherited.

Do I think he could come in and basically turn in a top 5 class? Of course not. I'm talking about landing a few good recruiting wins. Freezus inherited a mess from Harsin last year and came in and landed a Kendric Faulk and Caydin Lee and a few other 4 star players that were practically ignored by Harsin. He had some significant recruiting wins against multiple SEC teams despite limited time and a mess from Harsin.

When you hire a new coach you hope he can bring in a staff with recruiting connections to kids that you have a shot at. Now with NIL, that shot can be real since you can offer real money.

If you had told anyone here on the day Lebby was hired that he would only be able to flip kids from FAU, Colorado state and beat out other G5 programs for a few players instead of battling for SEC players, you would have been called a Lebby hater.

I'm just saying I was hoping for more. That is all. Are you telling me that you look at our class and think "Yep, no one could have done better?" I'll be the first to admit, I just thought we could a little better, and maybe that is on me.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 02:24 PM
Do I think he could come in and basically turn in a top 5 class? Of course not. I'm talking about landing a few good recruiting wins. Freezus inherited a mess from Harsin last year and came in and landed a Kendric Faulk and Caydin Lee and a few other 4 star players that were practically ignored by Harsin. He had some significant recruiting wins against multiple SEC teams despite limited time and a mess from Harsin.

When you hire a new coach you hope he can bring in a staff with recruiting connections to kids that you have a shot at. Now with NIL, that shot can be real since you can offer real money.

If you had told anyone here on the day Lebby was hired that he would only be able to flip kids from FAU, Colorado state and beat out other G5 programs for a few players instead of battling for SEC players, you would have been called a Lebby hater.

I'm just saying I was hoping for more. That is all. Are you telling me that you look at our class and think "Yep, no one could have done better?" I'll be the first to admit, I just thought we could a little better, and maybe that is on me.

Of course some could have done better. But let's compare Freeze at Auburn with Lebby at MSU.

Auburn has one of the most active and well funded boosters in the nation. Not the SEC. The nation. And they hated Harsin so much they almost got rid of him after one season by creating a rumo of him cheating. Freeze was also already a head coach with previous significant recruiting success in the SEC, a history of doing whatever is necessary in recruiting (along with the university he is at) and multiple wins over Nick Saban. Absolute match made in heaven.

Lebby is a first time head coach coming into one of the least funded NIL and revenue football programs in the SEC coming off a 5-7 record.

There is literally no comparison.

He is likely to get Burnside and Hill and no matter what you said about some "halfway decent staff" to undercut Lebby, that's two players that good programs would like to have.

Lebby has done exceedingly well. And anyone that thought he would just go crazy and light it up in less than a month was crazy. But to keep Harrell, get our QB, likely get Burnside and Hill, and still have room to go gives me a lot of hope. But we sucked last year. Completely sucked. And there's only so much he could do in a month to overcome that.

FISHDAWG
12-20-2023, 02:45 PM
Of course some could have done better. But let's compare Freeze at Auburn with Lebby at MSU.

Auburn has one of the most active and well funded boosters in the nation. Not the SEC. The nation. And they hated Harsin so much they almost got rid of him after one season by creating a rumo of him cheating. Freeze was also already a head coach with previous significant recruiting success in the SEC, a history of doing whatever is necessary in recruiting (along with the university he is at) and multiple wins over Nick Saban. Absolute match made in heaven.

Lebby is a first time head coach coming into one of the least funded NIL and revenue football programs in the SEC coming off a 5-7 record.

There is literally no comparison.

He is likely to get Burnside and Hill and no matter what you said about some "halfway decent staff" to undercut Lebby, that's two players that good programs would like to have.

Lebby has done exceedingly well. And anyone that thought he would just go crazy and light it up in less than a month was crazy. But to keep Harrell, get our QB, likely get Burnside and Hill, and still have room to go gives me a lot of hope. But we sucked last year. Completely sucked. And there's only so much he could do in a month to overcome that.

Pretty good assessment ... and reflective of reasonable expectations- have some rep

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 03:16 PM
Pretty good assessment ... and reflective of reasonable expectations- have some rep

Thank you!

I'll also add to my diatribe by saying the two most recent kids we had decommit from us in Flowers and Carter signed at Arkansas State and South Alabama respectively today.

Sounds like maybe Lebby knows how to evaluate talent.

Bdawg
12-20-2023, 04:02 PM
So Bama flips #3 RB from Miami. Gotta be good news for us, right?

preachermatt83
12-20-2023, 04:13 PM

This is sarcastic. Or atleast I’m REALLLLYYYY hoping it is. If not then I don’t know what to tell you.

smootness
12-20-2023, 04:16 PM

Are you trying to say you should be able to do at Mississippi State what was done at Auburn?

I would bash my head into the wall if I was the State coach and saw our fans disappointed that we are not doing what Auburn is.

confucius say
12-20-2023, 04:30 PM

Van Buren
Stonka
Maybe Hill
Shapen

BlackSailsDawg
12-20-2023, 05:34 PM
I think Hill has announced a Jan 6th announcement in Meridian

bulldawg28
12-20-2023, 05:50 PM
So the Fransisco kid hasn't signed yet?

MetEdDawg
12-20-2023, 06:38 PM
Ricky Johnson, WR committed to Stanford, flips to us.

maroonmania
12-20-2023, 07:21 PM
So the Fransisco kid hasn't signed yet?

Per Robertson, he signed but won't be announced until his signing ceremony in Feb.

chef dixon
12-20-2023, 07:40 PM
Lebby has done a nice job rallying.

I like the group of JUCO guys. They are much needed to plug holes and you know at least not afraid to get down into the mud

Leeshouldveflanked
12-20-2023, 09:14 PM
Given that we were almost a year behind every one else getting NIL going (Thanks Cohen) and staff has only been together for 3 weeks or so, I think Lebby has done a really good job.

lastmajordog
12-20-2023, 09:44 PM
As someone on the outside with no inside info.......I would say the DOG alumni need to get behind Lebby.....

defiantdog
12-21-2023, 09:28 AM
So Bama flips #3 RB from Miami. Gotta be good news for us, right?

He was committed to Miami (allegedly), not from Miami. Kevin Riley played at County High in Tuscaloosa. Wanted to go to Alabama all along and wanted to make sure he had a definite chance of playing.

Bdawg
12-21-2023, 10:28 AM
He was committed to Miami (allegedly), not from Miami. Kevin Riley played at County High in Tuscaloosa. Wanted to go to Alabama all along and wanted to make sure he had a definite chance of playing.

That’s what I was meaning. Flipped from the Canes. Didn’t know where he was from. Just hoping it helps with Hill. It Hill set on being a RB or will go to Bama no matter what position they want him to play?