PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the Vandy series...

CadaverDawg
04-22-2013, 11:00 PM
What does their rotation look like, other than the Ace? I know they're good, but LHP or RHP? I am starting to side with C34 on the "we can't hit LHP" these days.

Also, are they a RH dominant lineup or LH dominant? With us throwing 2 lefties in the series, I was hoping for a lot of left handed bats.

And finally, did anyone else know that Lindgren has only given up 1 hit this SEC season against a left handed hitter? I doubt that holds up long, but that's a pretty damn amazing stat this late in SEC play. I heard it on the Cohen radio show this evening, so who knows if it's true.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Hopefully all RHP so Henderson stays on the bench. I know he had a decent series against auburn, but I don't think that blind squirrel will find a nut two series in a row.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Hopefully all RHP so Henderson stays on the bench. I know he had a decent series against auburn, but I don't think that blind squirrel will find a nut two series in a row.

So you want to see who? Robson? Armstrong?

I get that Henderson isnt a good hitter, but he did more last weekend than the other two have done all year in my opinion. And it's not like we'll see Detz or Frost out there. So I'm cool with Henderson for now.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I would like to see Armstrong get a shot. He has handled the bat decently in his few appearances outside the Alcorn state game. Ideally I would like to see Frost or Detz give it a go, Frost more than Detz. I don't know why Frost hasn't gone back similar to J Rea playing a little center field.

Goat Holder
04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Because Frost sucks.

mparkerfd20
04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
What does their rotation look like, other than the Ace? I know they're good, but LHP or RHP? I am starting to side with C34 on the "we can't hit LHP" these days.

Also, are they a RH dominant lineup or LH dominant? With us throwing 2 lefties in the series, I was hoping for a lot of left handed bats.

And finally, did anyone else know that Lindgren has only given up 1 hit this SEC season against a left handed hitter? I doubt that holds up long, but that's a pretty damn amazing stat this late in SEC play. I heard it on the Cohen radio show this evening, so who knows if it's true.

From the guys they used in the UGA series:

Tyler Beede RHP 1.51 ERA 10-0 67K 38BB
Kevin Ziomek LHP 2.20 ERA 7-2 75K 26BB
T.J. Pecoraro RHP 6.23 ERA 1-1 6K 6BB

HereComesTheSpiral
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
From the guys they used in the UGA series:

Tyler Beede RHP 1.51 ERA 10-0 67K 38BB
Kevin Ziomek LHP 2.20 ERA 7-2 75K 26BB
T.J. Pecoraro RHP 6.23 ERA 1-1 6K 6BB

So patience at the plate is going to be the key to winning the series

WeWillScrewItUp
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM

That has me a little worried because we lack patience at the plate. Hopefully they prove me wrong this weekend.

Goat Holder
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Actually I think it's our pitching/defense that will be the difference. We can dink and dunk for a few runs and let's face it - they have good pitching and it will be tough for us to put big innings together. These are going to be low scoring games, we know that from the get-go. We just have to keep it close and hope our aggressive style can take advantage of their mistakes. That or Renfroe/Rea hit a few bombs.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Actually I think it's our pitching/defense that will be the difference. We can dink and dunk for a few runs and let's face it - they have good pitching and it will be tough for us to put big innings together. These are going to be low scoring games, we know that from the get-go. We just have to keep it close and hope our aggressive style can take advantage of their mistakes. That or Renfroe/Rea hit a few bombs.

What's their bullpen situation, good, average, bad.

Will James
04-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Some Vandy numbers...

Vanderbilt is 2nd only to LSU in getting leadoff runners on 1st base. IN SEC play, they have 67
Vanderbilt is 2nd only to US in % of innings scored in which the leadoff man gets on. They are 77%, we are 85%

So they are great at getting people on and then sending them across the plate.

They steal a TON of bases so Ammo better be sharp.

In SEC play they lead the league in AVG, SLG, OBP, R, H, and RBI, and BB.

This is a very very good team that we have to play on the road. ONE win would be ideal, anything more would be a damn fine accomplishment.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Some Vandy numbers...

Vanderbilt is 2nd only to LSU in getting leadoff runners on 1st base. IN SEC play, they have 67
Vanderbilt is 2nd only to US in % of innings scored in which the leadoff man gets on. They are 77%, we are 85%

So they are great at getting people on and then sending them across the plate.

They steal a TON of bases so Ammo better be sharp.

In SEC play they lead the league in AVG, SLG, OBP, R, H, and RBI, and BB.

This is a very very good team that we have to play on the road. ONE win would be ideal, anything more would be a damn fine accomplishment.

Thanks for the stats.

So how do you feel we match up? You got a prediction for us?

Will James
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the stats.

So how do you feel we match up? You got a prediction for us?

I don't like the matchup. I feel they play our game better and more consistently than we do. They are just more solid and well rounded, you wont see near as many boneheaded plays out of them.

I think we take Sunday with Lindgren but lose the other two.

Goat Holder
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Have you all noticed that Vandy has installed turf over their entire field? Basepaths too. Citified shit is not even baseball anymore.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Have you all noticed that Vandy has installed turf over their entire field? Basepaths too. Citified shit is not even baseball anymore.

Seriously? Like Smith Wills Stadium type turf? Or SEC football type field turf?

Turf is terrible in baseball

Spider-Man
04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
http://www.astroturf.com/news/vanderbilts-new-baseball-field-gets-tryout/

Pollodawg
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
That has me a little worried because we lack patience at the plate. Hopefully they prove me wrong this weekend.

We swing at everything. It's the exact opposite of last year.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
We swing at everything. It's the exact opposite of last year.

We're averaging 3.7 walks per game through 18 SEC games. I don't know where that ranks in the conference.

Where do you stats guys go online to look at where we rank Nationally and in the SEC in certain categories? Is there a site that keeps that info?

Will James
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
We're averaging 3.7 walks per game through 18 SEC games. I don't know where that ranks in the conference.

Where do you stats guys go online to look at where we rank Nationally and in the SEC in certain categories? Is there a site that keeps that info?

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2013/lgconf.htm

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2013/lgconf.htm

Thanks.

So we're 4th in the SEC in walks....That doesn't say "we swing at everything" to me.

Will James
04-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks.

So we're 4th in the SEC in walks....That doesn't say "we swing at everything" to me.

We dont swing at fastball strikes near as often as we should

Spider-Man
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I could be way off, but it seems like we swing more freely against opponents/pitchers who are not on our level. And we take more against those who are our equals or better.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
We dont swing at fastball strikes near as often as we should

Yep. My biggest complaint is taking 2-0 and 3-1 fastballs right down the damn middle. Those are hitter's counts where we should be sitting dead red fastball. But instead, we take the 2-0 fastball, and then swing at the 2-1 slider in the dirt.

It's not a major issue right now, but I have noticed the further we get away from Cohen small ball, the worse we get at working counts and drawing walks.

Will James
04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Shit we led the damn league in K's last season playing Cohen ball. Drawing walks is only good if you also are hitting strikes. Walking for the sake of walking and "working counts" just to do it is not productive.

dickiedawg
04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
How is the parking at their ballpark?