PDA

View Full Version : transfer portal questions - need some help

somebodyshotmypaw
12-19-2023, 06:40 PM
Tell me if I'm correct on this:

Transfer portal guys don't have a signing date like high schoolers. They simply enter the portal process, then transfer and show up for classes. They don't actually sign a National Letter of Intent. So you could lose a committed portal guy before class starts or even before the academic drop date. Of course they have to stay academically eligible to play. This means John Doe from Baylor could enter the portal, get recruited by Iowa and decide to commit to Iowa. Then he attends 2 days of class at Iowa starting January 10, and on January 12 says "it's too cold and I'm going to Tulane". He shows up to Tulane on January 13 and enrolls and is eligible. This assuming he has scholarship offers from these schools. Is this all correct?

There is another portal deadline after the spring. So we could go through another round of portal additions and losses after the spring semester. Is this correct?

If in the pre-portal era you would sign 25 high school guys, many thought that the portal would cut down on the number of high school signees your team might sign. Meaning if you added a bunch of portal guys, then you couldn't sign a big high school class because you have to stay under the 85 scholarships. But I guess you could still sign your normal number of high school guys if you lose as many portal guys as you add. So maybe a team would sign the normal number of high school kids like we have for years, then have another 5-10 guys leave through the portal with an equal number of 5-10 guys transfer in through the portal. Am I thinking this through correctly?

Bdawg
12-19-2023, 11:04 PM
Does a portal guy sign scholarship papers? If he does, and enrolls in classes for the spring, I don?t know if he can go back in the spring portal or not. I don?t know when the portal window dates are either. It?s seems like the fall portal window is for a spring enrollee, and the spring portal window would be for a summer/fall enrollee. I may be totally wrong though.
Think your numbers are right. Just got to be at 85 total