PDA

View Full Version : 2024 D

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2023, 04:51 PM
I expect us to be pretty simple in 2024 on defense. 4-2-5 like Saban and Smart are running. Will be interesting to see who plays the nickel spot and the Jack LB.

And it is a great move. We need to simplify and stop trying to fool everyone. I loved Arnetts defense but it was all about trying to fool you and made Jett Johnson cover and our safeties box fitters from depth any time teams spread us out. Dont get it twisted in 22 we were very good on defense but we are going to benefit from simplicity and playing hard. We were asking some very inexperienced guys to do some complicated things in the secondary last year

RockyDog
12-19-2023, 05:01 PM
Top 5 SEC defense for sure. If Lebby can get us to 38-42 points per game we could be looking at 9-11 wins.

TrapGame
12-19-2023, 05:01 PM
I expect us to be pretty simple in 2024 on defense. 4-2-5 like Saban and Smart are running. Will be interesting to see who plays the nickel spot and the Jack LB.

And it is a great move. We need to simplify and stop trying to fool everyone. I loved Arnetts defense but it was all about trying to fool you and made Jett Johnson cover and our safeties box fitters from depth any time teams spread us out. Dont get it twisted in 22 we were very good on defense but we are going to benefit from simplicity and playing hard. We were asking some very inexperienced guys to do some complicated things in the secondary last year

And our pass rush was non-existent. Making Rattler look like Trevor Lawrence was unforgivable. Simple in this situation will be the best.

And I'm actually looking forward to see what kind of DC Hutzler turns out to be.

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2023, 05:31 PM
run the 3 high stuff on passing downs but I have seen enough of that as our base defense

confucius say
12-19-2023, 05:39 PM
Top 5 SEC defense for sure. If Lebby can get us to 38-42 points per game we could be looking at 9-11 wins.

Stop trolling

parabrave
12-19-2023, 06:34 PM
And our pass rush was non-existent. Making Rattler look like Trevor Lawrence was unforgivable. Simple in this situation will be the best.

And I'm actually looking forward to see what kind of DC Hutzler turns out to be.

We almost always had a disrupter on the D line or LB and that is someone who will penetrate at the snap and cause havoc in the backfield. This past year we didn't have one. Thought Crumedy would be that guy but he wasn't. A Simmons or C Jones type lineman can make all the difference in the world and we need to find that person.

RockyDog
12-19-2023, 06:58 PM
Stop trolling

It’s gonna happen. Book it

confucius say
12-19-2023, 07:31 PM
We almost always had a disrupter on the D line or LB and that is someone who will penetrate at the snap and cause havoc in the backfield. This past year we didn't have one. Thought Crumedy would be that guy but he wasn't. A Simmons or C Jones type lineman can make all the difference in the world and we need to find that person.

Bookie was that guy. He led the league in sacks

parabrave
12-19-2023, 07:46 PM
Bookie was that guy. He led the league in sacks

Nope. He rushed, blitzed, cause both he and Jett were too slow to cover which we needed them to do. A DE needs to be your sack leader which we need. Like I said a Simmons type who will cause a play deep in the backfield/

Turfdawg67
12-19-2023, 08:08 PM
Stop trolling

He's a Rebel...

Homedawg
12-19-2023, 08:11 PM

I agree w you until you got to the part about sabans defense and calls being simplistic. You should know that.

Homedawg
12-19-2023, 08:12 PM

Post like this is why I've just about given up on the board. Just wth kind of crap.... whether a troll or real. Just miserable.

Turfdawg67
12-19-2023, 08:17 PM
Post like this is why I've just about given up on the board. Just wth kind of crap.... whether a troll or real. Just miserable.

We need more of you and less of Rocky... Get Scooter to ban his Rebel ass.

Coursesuper
12-19-2023, 08:46 PM

Amen

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2023, 09:29 PM
I agree w you until you got to the part about sabans defense and calls being simplistic. You should know that.

It?s not complicated at all. If it was only Saban would do it

confucius say
12-19-2023, 10:14 PM
Nope. He rushed, blitzed, cause both he and Jett were too slow to cover which we needed them to do. A DE needs to be your sack leader which we need. Like I said a Simmons type who will cause a play deep in the backfield/

You said we didn't have a disrupter at DL OR LB that could penetrate at the snap and cause havoc in the backfield. Bookie was that.

Now if you mean only a DL, then that's a different conversation.

Homedawg
12-19-2023, 10:25 PM

It's not complicated to me. It's not complicated to you. But to a kid that makes a 15 on the act he needs lots of reps and years to get it. And those don't happen anymore

Homedawg
12-19-2023, 10:27 PM

To add other than uga nobody runs it like that. Who else does it that way?

Commercecomet24
12-19-2023, 10:45 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up! Thank you Bucky! Big part of why our secondary struggled last year.

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2023, 11:14 PM
It's not complicated to me. It's not complicated to you. But to a kid that makes a 15 on the act he needs lots of reps and years to get it. And those don't happen anymore

Thats a good point

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2023, 11:18 PM
To add other than uga nobody runs it like that. Who else does it that way?

Pruitt. Muschamp. Aranda although they did a lot of the 3 high at Baylor.

And im not going to be the message board guy but we do it in HS. But like you said I guess going from a country cover 3 at Bogue Chitto to it could be complicated

DownwardDawg
12-19-2023, 11:54 PM
Most of the SEC stopped playing defense years ago. We'll be fine.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 09:09 AM

A lot of the SEC plays defense the way Alabama does scheme wise anyway. He has a lot of disciples throughout the SEC.

We may or may not look like the keystone cops doing it but Ole Miss picked it up in one offseason and they're usually pretty bad on defense.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 09:13 AM

Is asking people to do something they can't do because of the defense being complicated or is it the DC not adapting to what he has?

Seems to be a theme with Arnett going on here. I think he had trouble identifying what his players could do at times. Eventually on both sides of the ball.

This was the same thing with Collin Duncan for a couple of years where he would somehow end up matched up on an All SEC receiver constantly.

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 11:13 AM
A lot of the SEC plays defense the way Alabama does scheme wise anyway. He has a lot of disciples throughout the SEC.

We may or may not look like the keystone cops doing it but Ole Miss picked it up in one offseason and they're usually pretty bad on defense.

Ole miss is 3 high all the time. Thats not in that tree

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 11:13 AM
Is asking people to do something they can't do because of the defense being complicated or is it the DC not adapting to what he has?

Seems to be a theme with Arnett going on here. I think he had trouble identifying what his players could do at times. Eventually on both sides of the ball.

This was the same thing with Collin Duncan for a couple of years where he would somehow end up matched up on an All SEC receiver constantly.
It was the same issue as 2020. Inexperience combined with mountain west scheme

Coursesuper
12-20-2023, 12:02 PM

Rule changes on contract with receivers , holding or lack there of, assisting the runner along with the new targeting rules have changed the way defenses have to play. The offense has the advantage in many circumstances. It has for sure changed the game.

Todd4State
12-20-2023, 01:15 PM
Ole miss is 3 high all the time. Thats not in that tree

Golding isn't running what they ran at Alabama? That's surprises me.

Coursesuper
12-20-2023, 01:26 PM

You have to run what you have the personnel to run. Trying to force it will get you abused.

Coach34
12-20-2023, 01:53 PM
Rule changes on contract with receivers , holding or lack there of, assisting the runner along with the new targeting rules have changed the way defenses have to play. The offense has the advantage in many circumstances. It has for sure changed the game.

They do allow alot more handfighting between WR/DBs than they used to at least

BuckyIsAB****
12-20-2023, 02:03 PM

No it was 3 high all last year

Coursesuper
12-20-2023, 02:13 PM
They do allow alot more handfighting between WR/DBs than they used to at least

That’s about it isn’t it.