PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain oxford?s nil please

AlSwearengen
12-18-2023, 09:37 PM
I understand they have more money and I understand that the average rebel fan is itching to ?do their part? much more so than our side. But, on the surface, it looks like they have A&M money all of a sudden.

How sustainable is what they are doing right now? I?ve seen no numbers but they have to be spending a good bit to get the top player at each position and pull so many from other SEC schools.

mparkerfd20
12-18-2023, 09:51 PM
***** is priceless

DesotoDog1967
12-18-2023, 09:52 PM
Its backed by trial lawyers and coke dealers. Sky the limit

viverlibre
12-18-2023, 09:55 PM
I understand they have more money and I understand that the average rebel fan is itching to ?do their part? much more so than our side. But, on the surface, it looks like they have A&M money all of a sudden.

How sustainable is what they are doing right now? I?ve seen no numbers but they have to be spending a good bit to get the top player at each position and pull so many from other SEC schools.

Who knows? It's conceivable they have a line of credit and are going all in for the 2024 season, and I don't blame them. Kind of like with the U of Colorado President said, "I don't have the money to pay Prime, but I'll get it." When they spent the money to sign a multi year starting QB as a backup, I knew they weren't scared.

dawggoneit
12-18-2023, 10:03 PM
I hope their spending spree produces the same fruit as aTm's did. They don't have the money to sustain it like aTm.

HoopsDawg
12-18-2023, 10:05 PM
I think they are gambling that NIL will be different in the future so they are emptying their clip right now. At Ole Miss or MSU, when you've got your shot, you better go all in. Hopefully our BI is not overspending this year bc 2024 is not our year.

viverlibre
12-18-2023, 10:06 PM
I hope their spending spree produces the same fruit as aTm's did. They don't have the money to sustain it like aTm.

That was mostly on HS recruits, right? OM is getting starters from other programs.

RockyDog
12-18-2023, 10:12 PM
They used to have parties on visitation weekends in January where 40s and 50s somethings would flock to the Library and watch 17-18 year olds paraded in front of them like cattle. That’s not normal behavior, but was par for the course in Oxghanistan. They will do ANYTHING to “win the day”.

defiantdog
12-18-2023, 10:35 PM
Our fans may be depressing at times, but we are still light years better than them. I don't want state to ever be named in a Ponzi scheme in any fashion.

confucius say
12-18-2023, 11:09 PM
They are striking while the iron is hot. I've said on here a couple of times they have borrowed 7 figures. Well into it. Loan is personally backed by a group. Not a bad idea because this is their time to go all in if Dart comes back.

Their structure is different than ours. About 5 of them started their nil and hired Walker jones to run it, whereas Charlie started and runs ours because cohen was completely asleep at the wheel (thank goodness Charlie did!). Go search bulldog initiative on the Secretary of State and you'll see Charlie started it. Go search the grove collective and you'll see it's different.

Jones has been fired not once but twice by a borderline Fortune 500 company for unscrupulous spending practices. In trouble at multiple strip clubs. I won't go into the other issues, but he's a trash human.

Todd4State
12-19-2023, 05:09 AM
Think about college teams now as more like a NFL team.

Sometimes you will have a team that is returning a lot of players and they're contenders and so they only need to fill a couple of holes here and there. When you don't have as many holes to fill as a team then you can do a couple of things. You can be more aggressive spending wise to fill those few holes and concentrate your money there. And the thing is because there aren't a ton of holes to fill it makes the team more attractive to players wanting to win now.

Then you have teams that are rebuilding. There are more holes to fill and a lot more work to get to where the team can contend for a championship. What happens is that spreads the money out because there are more players to buy and it's also a more difficult selling job.

It's pretty obvious who's who in this scenario. However, it can change from year to year. If I'm not mistaken Ole Miss will lose a lot after 2024 and then they will have to buy a lot more which will spread their NIL out more. And then you may see guys like Suntarine Perkins decide to enter the portal to not continue a rebuild as well. All of that is conjecture but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Just like NFL teams have to build the core of their team through the draft college teams still have to build their core through recruiting and player development. And then just like a NFL team has to use free agency to build to fill in holes a college team has to use NIL the same way.

What MSU needs to do in the present is finish out this recruiting class and then stack it so to speak with 2025's class and that's going to be our core group of players. Along with a few guys from 2024 like Chris Parson, Malik Ellis, Kelley Jones, Isaac Smith, Zakari Tillman, and etc. 2024 for us will be a rebuilding year but 2025-2027 could be very good if we recruit well. That will also allow us and recruits to see what we have with Coleman Hutzler at DC.

Todd4State
12-19-2023, 05:12 AM
Our fans may be depressing at times, but we are still light years better than them. I don't want state to ever be named in a Ponzi scheme in any fashion.

If I were them I would be a bit concerned about MSU players like Kyle Ferrie openly stating on social media that they were contacted by Ole Miss via DM to enter the portal.

Especially considering that they were busted for that in 2020 already under Kiffin.

Coursesuper
12-19-2023, 07:52 AM
If I were them I would be a bit concerned about MSU players like Kyle Ferrie openly stating on social media that they were contacted by Ole Miss via DM to enter the portal.

Especially considering that they were busted for that in 2020 already under Kiffin.

They do not care. There are no rules and no gatekeeper, this is a garbage heap and there is no bottom right now. Everyone is playing the same game to some extent others are more brazen than others but with the NCAA being a non entity now its open season. I just hope this thing collapses on itself and we have the foresight to insulate ourselves when it hits.

PGHBulldogBG
12-19-2023, 08:02 AM
The bottom line is that Ole Miss alum, fans, etc support football as a whole more than State fans. We have some great die hard fans, but even most of them prefer hunting and outdoor activities over college athletics. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it?s just the way it is. At the same time, because we are not willing to spend we will continue to see Ole Miss become better while we stay stagnant. With Lebby we might get a little bit better, but it doesn?t matter if we have Saban, Smart or Meyer coaching when the raw talent isn?t there.

KOdawg1
12-19-2023, 08:22 AM
The bottom line is that Ole Miss alum, fans, etc support football as a whole more than State fans. We have some great die hard fans, but even most of them prefer hunting and outdoor activities over college athletics. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it?s just the way it is. At the same time, because we are not willing to spend we will continue to see Ole Miss become better while we stay stagnant. With Lebby we might get a little bit better, but it doesn?t matter if we have Saban, Smart or Meyer coaching when the raw talent isn?t there.
Yep. OM doesn't have that much more money or fans than we do, but they all pull in the same direction.

They embraced NIL and the portal early on while we drug our feet.

They know the importance of perception and self-promotion. They've painted the picture that they're a big time program for years, and finally, that perception is becoming reality.

I hate them more than anything, but you gotta give them credit. They've realized the opportunity they have and are seizing it

Dawgology
12-19-2023, 09:30 AM
Kiffin is pushing them to go all in this season. He knows this is his chance to make noise in the playoff and he knows Florida’s job is opening up in November of 2024. He’s about to make his move but has to have a great season to maximize his money on the way to Florida. He doesn’t give a crap about the financial situation it leaves UM in on the way out the door.

confucius say
12-19-2023, 09:36 AM

We could pay all of their portal guys one dollar more than they are paying them and they would still pick OM. We are on our third coach in 12 months, fourth in four years. Fifth in 6 years. Zero continuity and coming off a dumpster fire season. OM is in a way different spot than we are.

Get the qb and coach spot right and we will start to build so that we will be attractive to portal guys.

Johnson85
12-19-2023, 12:19 PM
Think about college teams now as more like a NFL team.

Sometimes you will have a team that is returning a lot of players and they're contenders and so they only need to fill a couple of holes here and there. When you don't have as many holes to fill as a team then you can do a couple of things. You can be more aggressive spending wise to fill those few holes and concentrate your money there. And the thing is because there aren't a ton of holes to fill it makes the team more attractive to players wanting to win now.

Then you have teams that are rebuilding. There are more holes to fill and a lot more work to get to where the team can contend for a championship. What happens is that spreads the money out because there are more players to buy and it's also a more difficult selling job.

It's pretty obvious who's who in this scenario. However, it can change from year to year. If I'm not mistaken Ole Miss will lose a lot after 2024 and then they will have to buy a lot more which will spread their NIL out more. And then you may see guys like Suntarine Perkins decide to enter the portal to not continue a rebuild as well. All of that is conjecture but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Just like NFL teams have to build the core of their team through the draft college teams still have to build their core through recruiting and player development. And then just like a NFL team has to use free agency to build to fill in holes a college team has to use NIL the same way.

What MSU needs to do in the present is finish out this recruiting class and then stack it so to speak with 2025's class and that's going to be our core group of players. Along with a few guys from 2024 like Chris Parson, Malik Ellis, Kelley Jones, Isaac Smith, Zakari Tillman, and etc. 2024 for us will be a rebuilding year but 2025-2027 could be very good if we recruit well. That will also allow us and recruits to see what we have with Coleman Hutzler at DC.

That seems like a reasonable assessment, with a couple of other wrinkles. One, nobody knows what's going to happen in the next few years with NIL or realignment. Ole Miss is fortunate to be in a position where it makes sense for them to go all in now because it helps on a few levels. If there is going to be more alignment in the next few years, having some big recent success will help a lot. If they are behind the 8 ball financially as far as NIL because of spending now, that will be insignificant if there is more alignment and they end up with the haves instead of the have nots. Two, it's in the best interest of Ole Miss (and state) for their to be some sort of rules enforced around NIL. As has been shown in the past, the only way for rules with teeth to be imposed by the NCAA is for a school like Ole Miss to use the lack of enforcement against blue bloods. Not sure that's going to matter here because of the potential antitrust issues, but there will at least be some interest in capping NIL if a school like Ole Miss uses it to beat a Bama or UGA, even if what they are doing is not sustainable.

And if we do just continue on the same trajectory, as you said, it still makes sense to do what Ole Miss is doing. If they win big next year and then have to suck for a few years b/c the NIL money is exhausted, that's fine. They won big and can focus on trying to guild a base through high school recruiting, and if they show some promise, they will haev had a few years to pay off debt and rebuild their NIL arsenal, and can go all in again. It will be just like small market MLB teams. Go all in when you have a chance to win, and accept that you're going to suck again afterwards as you try to rebuild towards a peak.

Coach34
12-19-2023, 12:28 PM
They are throwing more money around than we are
They push the party school life hard
They love recruiting and propaganda- it's a lawyer/politician school

That's just not the State identity
We wont spend the money they do/will
We dont sell party school life- we sell hard work/grinding
Lebby is the first real recruiter we have hired since Jackie

Coach34
12-19-2023, 12:31 PM
I'll add- their people love recruiting. The process. The ass-kissing. The promotion of it. Going to Oxford for the weekend to say you love Oxford.

State fans arent wired like that. We just want to write a check- give money and get the deal done. I paid you- now sign with us. We dont enjoy the process of it like they do.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2023, 01:00 PM
I've said on here a couple of times they have borrowed 7 figures. Well into it. Loan is personally backed by a group. .

Jones has been fired not once but twice by a borderline Fortune 500 company for unscrupulous spending practices..

I have no proof. But I've had a sneaking suspicion there are shenanigans... maybe as much as fraud going on.... we shall see.

Seems a very risky position (I'm talking on a personal level) to back borrowed money for NIL
Payments. UNLESS.... there is a backroom deal to repay the loan from athletic department money when nobody is paying attention. That wouldn't surprise me at all with them.

Mjoelner34
12-19-2023, 01:05 PM
I'll add- their people love recruiting. The process. The ass-kissing. The promotion of it. Going to Oxford for the weekend to say you love Oxford.

Makes me think back to the days where Fancy would stalk their recruits on official visits and take pics of them out on the town and write articles about their dance moves. Meanwhile, Gene and his crew would say they weren't allowed to mention who was on campus this weekend or we could end up on probabtion.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2023, 01:43 PM
I think they are gambling that NIL will be different in the future so they are emptying their clip right now. At Ole Miss or MSU, when you've got your shot, you better go all in. Hopefully our BI is not overspending this year bc 2024 is not our year.

Based on what we are doing in the portal and in HS, we aren't spending big money at all.

Pounders is the only portal guy that we probably paid decent money on. Maybe Miner. We are signing JUCO kids and HS kids that should get the mininum NIL package. The only kids that should get the "enhanced" NIL deals are Harrell, Stonka, Hibbler and potentially Hill. Though, I'm not sold on Hill. South Carolina has moved on and Bama is about to sign the kid committed to Miami, so he won't have a landing spot, so I don't think we need to go big to get him.

I would think we are keeping our powder dry for next year, where we should have an offense to sell, the in-state recruiting class is set up for us to do well (Golden Triangle is loaded next year) and maybe then we try and add a few portal defensive players.

Also, people over estimate how much some of these kids cost. They aren't getting 7 figure deals. The most expensive players are portal QB's and elite HS talent. The bears aren't spending on those this cycle. I would think that Kiffin is also looking to jump if he does take them to the playoffs.

Coach34
12-19-2023, 02:03 PM
Based on what we are doing in the portal and in HS, we aren't spending big money at all.

Pounders is the only portal guy that we probably paid decent money on. Maybe Miner. We are signing JUCO kids and HS kids that should get the mininum NIL package. The only kids that should get the "enhanced" NIL deals are Harrell, Stonka, Hibbler and potentially Hill. Though, I'm not sold on Hill. South Carolina has moved on and Bama is about to sign the kid committed to Miami, so he won't have a landing spot, so I don't think we need to go big to get him.

I would think we are keeping our powder dry for next year, where we should have an offense to sell, the in-state recruiting class is set up for us to do well (Golden Triangle is loaded next year) and maybe then we try and add a few portal defensive players.

Also, people over estimate how much some of these kids cost. They aren't getting 7 figure deals. The most expensive players are portal QB's and elite HS talent. The bears aren't spending on those this cycle. I would think that Kiffin is also looking to jump if he does take them to the playoffs.

We are in an obvious rebuild so no need to spend big this cycle. We working hard on HS guys to get a future base. It's the smart play and Lebby/Crew are working.
Need some D infusion tho then it's time to get ready for the Veer&Cheer offense