PDA

View Full Version : I love our basketball team

cheewgumm
12-17-2023, 09:24 PM
I know our fans who don't watch a lot of basketball may think they stink for losing to Southern, but it ain't so. This team could be great. Just gotta put things together. The parts are fantastic, imo.

I don't know how we lost to Southern and we for sure go into unexplained shooting slumps, but if they can figure that out (Tulu coming back will help that with somewhere to go when everyone is cold), we will be really good.

chef dixon
12-17-2023, 09:27 PM
Agree. We've got the makings of a team that could really hits it stride when it matters most

cheewgumm
12-17-2023, 09:36 PM
The pieces are just fantastic:

Tulu: Automatic Double Double, best scorer down low in the SEC.
Cam : Freak athlete, Lengthy great defender, above average at everything (except 3p shooting). Heart and soul of team.
DJ Jeffries: Lengthy great defender, who can score a lot slashing to basket. Hard matchup for a lot of people.
Hubbard: Providing the points that were missing last year. Stud freshman that could probably average 25. Can get hot and get 30+.
Davis: Steadying force, who also at time seems to take things on his shoulders and hit big shots.
Shak Moore: Scorer who can get hot and score in bunches.
Jones: 6'6 lenghty defender - pure athlete.
Murphy: Potental to be the best player on the team: 6'10, can shoot, pass, rebound and it athletic.
Bell: Solid 8 pt 8 reb a night guy, + huge body down low.

Best team in a while for State.

Potential is off the charts.

RockyDog
12-17-2023, 09:50 PM
The pieces are just fantastic:

Tulu: Automatic Double Double, best scorer down low in the SEC.
Cam : Freak athlete, Lengthy great defender, above average at everything (except 3p shooting). Heart and soul of team.
DJ Jeffries: Lengthy great defender, who can score a lot slashing to basket. Hard matchup for a lot of people.
Hubbard: Providing the points that were missing last year. Stud freshman that could probably average 25. Can get hot and get 30+.
Davis: Steadying force, who also at time seems to take things on his shoulders and hit big shots.
Shak Moore: Scorer who can get hot and score in bunches.
Jones: 6'6 lenghty defender - pure athlete.
Murphy: Potental to be the best player on the team: 6'10, can shoot, pass, rebound and it athletic.
Bell: Solid 8 pt 8 reb a night guy, + huge body down low.

Best team in a while for State.

Potential is off the charts.

Today was a good start at shortening the lineup.

It’s not very often you see a starting 5 where none average double figures against the easy part of their schedule. Tolu will average double figures obviously. Gotta get Hubbard in the starting lineup and somebody else has got to step up and score. You can’t have Cam, DJ, and Davis/Shak all being scoring black holes and expect 2 guys to carry the load.

Missing on Taylor hurts. You have to expect much more from a guy that averaged 20, even in a lower conference. He’s contributed nothing. We needed another shooter to really elevate this team.

cheewgumm
12-17-2023, 09:52 PM
Rocky,

Youre right. If he were involved and scoring, popping some threes, it would help. There is time, but today with him not playing at all may mean he's out of the loop.

Commercecomet24
12-17-2023, 10:05 PM
And I love Jans adjustments during games and between games.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2023, 10:24 PM
And I love Jans adjustments during games and between games.

My only concern with Jans is his recruiting. Of course that's a major part of a successful program.

This team can make the tournament but outside shooting limits the ceiling.

trob115
12-17-2023, 10:54 PM
My only concern with Jans is his recruiting. Of course that's a major part of a successful program.

This team can make the tournament but outside shooting limits the ceiling.

His recruiting has improved since he's gotten here. Next year will give us a good idea of how his recruiting is. I thought he did a great job of building this years team through the portal, along with adding Hubbard.

This team has the makeup to potentially go deep in March. Tolu getting back should really deepen this team. We should have a 9 man rotation, possibly 10 if Taylor or Fort can learn to play defense.

smootness
12-18-2023, 06:56 AM
We need more shooters and we need a better plan in the half-court offense. If we are creating turnovers, we can score off those. But if we are not, like in the Tech game, we have no plan to get good shots.

Rawdawg
12-18-2023, 05:04 PM
Tolu

Lord McBuckethead
12-18-2023, 08:36 PM
We lost to Southern because we didn?t stay serious and went 4:30 without scoring.

Patrick Tibbons
12-18-2023, 10:42 PM
I know our fans who don't watch a lot of basketball may think they stink for losing to Southern, but it ain't so. This team could be great. Just gotta put things together. The parts are fantastic, imo.

I don't know how we lost to Southern and we for sure go into unexplained shooting slumps, but if they can figure that out (Tulu coming back will help that with somewhere to go when everyone is cold), we will be really good.

TOLU

Homedawg
12-18-2023, 11:04 PM
TOLU

Big difference in what TOLU makes at state and what tulu made. And rightfully so!!

cheewgumm
12-18-2023, 11:05 PM
Yes Tolu.

No offense.

parabrave
12-19-2023, 12:19 AM
Biggest problem when Toulu gets back is what to do with J Bell/ Exchange him with DJ or just come off the bench? Cam has cemented his starting position then you have a problem with which guards to start. All of these are good problems to have.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2023, 01:22 AM
Biggest problem when Toulu gets back is what to do with J Bell/ Exchange him with DJ or just come off the bench? Cam has cemented his starting position then you have a problem with which guards to start. All of these are good problems to have.

It's not a decision at all. Bell goes to a reserve role. He will still get 10-12 minutes.

parabrave
12-19-2023, 01:29 AM
It's not a decision at all. Bell goes to a reserve role. He will still get 10-12 minutes.

Who do you think will be the other Forward?

Todd4State
12-19-2023, 05:39 AM

The best part about Bell is that if Tolu gets into foul trouble there isn't a big drop off.