PDA

View Full Version : What did we do to shut down Moncrief and other questions

AlSwearengen
12-06-2013, 09:35 PM
What were we doing in the secondary to keep him under wraps?

Has Freeze's offense been figured out to some extent?

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but it looked to me that we shut him down by getting great pressure with our front four, meaning we could commit more people to cover the pass without giving their QB all day to make a throw

Bass Chaser
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm sure there were multiple things, but one he was never matched up 1-1 with a safety. This killed us last year.

Instead of a corner blitz we brought a safety or LB.

Freeze's offense has become predictable.

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but it looked to me that we shut him down by getting great pressure with our front four, meaning we could commit more people to cover the pass without giving their QB all day to make a throw

This is exactly what happened. He tried to throw downfield but the pressure got to him. When your d-line can get pressure on the quarterback and can allow you to play 6-7 (and sometimes 8) in coverage, it is difficult. Last year we did the same thing with our secondary, but our defensive line didn't get pressure on Wallace so he had plenty of time to let his receivers find holes in the zone.

The popular meme is that Wallace can't throw downfield because of his shoulder surgery, but I think that's bullshit. And we saw the book on how to beat Ole Miss...when Wallace gets pressured, he makes terrible, terrible decisions. I also think Freeze has been exposed a bit too; his offense became very predictable. He also didn't have much of a running game, which is a big deal in the SEC.

Statecoachingblows**
12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
They really only ran the screens over and over a couple series. Freeze and the machine can recruit but he's not a guy that is going to get the most from his players. He's a down the line asst. kind of guy to me. Once all his BS really comes out he's done in the recruiting department and the rest falls apart too, if not before then.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Freeze's offense is a gimmick. It's all about tempo, catching you out of position, and making guys miss with the personnel they have. The only power back they have is redshirting for some unknown reason. All their RBs that play are scatbacks in the 5'7" 160 category. They can't line up and run over people. Wallace doesn't have a big arm, so that limits their ability to throw it downfield. Instead, they work the perimeter with 18 million bubble screens. The good news for them is that they have freaks at WR that can make guys miss or break tackles. But the problem is the really good SEC defenses like us, Bama, etc. have physical front 7s and DBs who can tackle. If you can generate pressure without needing to blitz and don't miss tackles, you can shut that offense down in a hurry. Their big plays come when you miss tackles and a 2-yard bubble screen turns into a 20 yard play because of RAC yards. Their offense might improve if they get a power back who can run and/or a QB with a good enough arm to stretch the field. But as it currently stands, it isn't THAT hard to shut their O down.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I'll have to re-watch when I'm not drinking- but I do remember us controlling the box with 6 guys. We played some Cover 2 combo- man underneath with safeties deep. That's one of the reasons they didnt throw the ball down the field- they couldnt- we had safeties over the top.

Our DL controlling their ass kept us from having to commit a 7th player to the run- and we played pass 1st all night in the Secondary because they werent worried much about run support.

hells bells
12-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Controlled the TSUN O line. Our D was stiff and got better throughout the game and season. Coverage on receivers was more man on. No 15 yard crap gap. Last, when Kardansheee became a running back I knew the D had them by the short hairs.

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
One thing that helped immensely is not having a safety try to cover Moncrief at times, or trying to cover him with one guy with no help.

engie
12-07-2013, 01:03 AM
If you want to piss yourself off...Check out this D-Line play from last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyoA9XLEPgc

AFTER Tunsil got hurt, I believe they had 4 of their 5 starting OL from last year's Egg Bowl against us this year. Scroll through their mistakes on the right side. Looks amazingly different.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=333320344

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2013, 01:28 AM
If you want to piss yourself off...Check out this D-Line play from last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyoA9XLEPgc

AFTER Tunsil got hurt, I believe they had 4 of their 5 starting OL from last year's Egg Bowl against us this year. Scroll through their mistakes on the right side. Looks amazingly different.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=333320344

At least the background music is funny.**

PassInterference
12-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Freeze said we kept 2 safeties deep which kept them from going deep. I tend to think Bo didn't have all day to wait for his WRs to get deep. And when he threw farther than short, his arm strength just wasn't good. It allowed Cox to get in position in front of Moncrief and get the INT.

We tackled real aggressively on their screens. Had DBs flying to the receiver to make a tackle for short or no gain.

Our DL controlled their OL and allowed no running.

I saw one guy opine that we timed our pressure. Rush Bo, then essentially bait him into the underneath stuff by timing pursuit to this check downs.

We shut them down. So did Mizzou. So did Bama. We only allowed 3 more points than Bama.

Anyway, I think like the Coach57 and that famous hymn says, Freeze has been found. I see their offense doing nothing next year. I see fans calling for Freeze's head next year. And the year after that he's toast.

BossDawg
12-07-2013, 02:20 AM
At least the background music is funny.**

Ole Miss fans' obsession with these 17 year old boys has me on the fence. I seriously don't know if it's hilarious or just flat out creepy and pathetic.

Coach 57
12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
We went with a "soft box " coverage in a cover 2. Bo (sorry to the other poster) really DID struggle making anything beyond intermediate throws. We saw that Vs Mizz, Arky and even Troy. Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter, it's true. That's why it made their "game plan" look "horrible". The coverage plus the pressure really handcuffed them. Bama actually saw this but wasn't truly picked up by anyone until Troy (yeah I know). It's why I was so confident in our success. I had heard Collins had seen it too.

The "soft box" is basically a zone type coverage that requires physical play from your CBs leading the WRs into a deeper release. All it left them with was underneath stuff (bubbles etc, outs). But as stated if you can get pressure without sending extra bodies it handcuffs the QB. A guy that needs to get credit and who was prepared well for our defense was Big Ben. He made a lot of unselfish plays that set up success for others. He has made me really believe in him.

BeastMan
12-07-2013, 09:26 AM
@C34

I've rewatched it and we rarely had more than 6 guys in the box. I'm explaining this as basic as possible but if you can stop their run with 5-6 guys and let everyone else focus on the perimeter, they are screwed. Bama, Mizzou, and MSU all did this.

I didn't chart plays but their base offense (minus the short yardage Nkemdiche package) does not have a running play that attacks you north and south immediately. Everything goes lateral (at least initially). I know a lot of their fans are complaining about not having a power back but if they don't change some fundamental, core philosophies, they will struggle with physical SEC defenses going forward.

Political Hack
12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
the cover two a allows the CBs to be more aggressive in the flats. That's why you saw Redmond crush Treadwell and Moncrief be limited in the short passing game. And like BeastMan said, if you can stop their run with 6-7 they're royally screwed. We did it for the most part with 5 from a scheme perspective even when we had 6-7 in the box.

1bigdawg
12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=PassInterference;101847]It allowed Cox to get in position in front of Moncrief and get the INT.

On that play he was throwing off his back foot because of pressure, which only goes to reenforce what everyone is saying about D-line play.