PDA

View Full Version : Lebby Recruiting Grade

Bdawg
12-17-2023, 07:09 PM
Would be interesting to hear what everyone thinks so far about recruiting. At the moment I really don?t know who all we have in the boat. Seems they been coming at pretty fast pace. Would be nice for someone to do a recap in the recruiting thread. But so far, seems Lebby has come out gunning. As far a getting players in the boat, I have to give him an A. Hopefully, most will make a contribution. Would love to see him pull Daniel Hill. Would be a pretty big statement to me.

bulldawg28
12-17-2023, 07:48 PM
So far C+ if he lands a few more defensive guys along with Hill and Stonka I'll give it a A-

Coach34
12-17-2023, 08:04 PM
The effort is there for sure

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
It's an incomplete for me until national signing day. That said right now overall- I'm pleased.

Our recruiting class was in shambles when he was hired and it appears as if he is making a nice salvage job out of it.

Seems to be addressing needs through recruiting and the portal and that's what is most important to me.

I think we're going to have a really strong 2025 class to supplement this one.

Coursesuper
12-17-2023, 08:10 PM

That all we can ask right now. If they stay at it this hard and we are able to keep any $$ behind it in the next couple of years it will pay dividends.

BeardoMSU
12-17-2023, 08:13 PM
It's an incomplete for me until national signing day. That said right now overall- I'm pleased.

Our recruiting class was in shambles when he was hired and it appears as if he is making a nice salvage job out of it.

Seems to be addressing needs through recruiting and the portal and that's what is most important to me.

This.

BeardoMSU
12-17-2023, 08:14 PM

And this.

bigbub50
12-17-2023, 08:23 PM
I think what he has done with the high school recruiting is A plus. He has turned some heads and his recruiting wkends seem to be popular.

In the portal he has had solid pickups with the two o lineman, Baylor qb, and utep wr. The older tight end brother will probably contribute, but the rest are depth guys and scout team guys it appears. I don?t hold the transfer portal recruiting against him. The top players in the portal want to make the playoffs and we don?t offer that currently. If he puts an exciting product on the field next year, his portal success will pick up.

99jc
12-17-2023, 08:24 PM
D+ for me until they are in school and probably a B then. But i think we have a winner in Lebby. he gets a full pass from me this year due to the shit show Arnett left us in.

confucius say
12-17-2023, 08:26 PM
It's hard to recruit to a 5-7 dumpster fire.
And when you need to spread your 5 million over 20 guys it's difficult. He's going to be fine.

KOdawg1
12-17-2023, 08:28 PM
Offense: B+

Defense: D-

MetEdDawg
12-17-2023, 09:11 PM
B+ overall. Defensive recruiting was going to be a tough row to hoe no matter what with the turnover and Ole Miss doing well and having a lot of those kids locked up.

Get Hill and Burnside and it's hard to not give him at least an A because in the span of a couple months he would have assembled on paper the best offensive recruiting class we've ever had.

Get us a couple legit defensive guys or flip a Beavers and it's an A+

RezDog7
12-17-2023, 10:12 PM
D+ for me until they are in school and probably a B then. But i think we have a winner in Lebby. he gets a full pass from me this year due to the shit show Arnett left us in.

This all day. We absolutely have to give Lebby some time to build this program back. This fanbase has been split since Moorhead.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2023, 10:21 PM

E for effort. C- for grade but I'm not mad about it. I understand the situation. Having said that, I'm very concerned about our 2024 defense.

CaptainObvious
12-17-2023, 10:27 PM
E for effort. C- for grade but I'm not mad about it. I understand the situation. Having said that, I'm very concerned about our 2024 defense.

Do not worry. We are going to onside kick after the very score and never punt. If we are successful 50% of the time then State will do no worse than tie through 4 qtrs. Then in overtime, there is no punting or kicking off.

Bothrops
12-17-2023, 10:29 PM
HS recruiting I'd give him B+. He came into a tough situation and got Van Buren and hopefully Stonka and Hill. I'd like the staff to flip an OM DL commit because some of those guys are going to be in the portal after next season.

Portal wise I'd give him a C right now. I'm not a fan of getting bodies and some of these guys are just that and won't contribute. Bright spots are of course, Shapen, Pounders and Minor, all of which are underrated in portal score. Defense has been very underwhelming thus far. Hopefully we can get the LB from Troy. I just hope our new coaches can coach up and develop our current roster quickly.

maroonmania
12-17-2023, 10:33 PM
Offense: B+

Defense: D-

This all day. I think recruitimg offensively has been quite good. Shapen is actually a very talented QB if he can stay healthy. Defensive recruiting has been very weak. Our defensive staff seems a bit of a crapshoot and so does a lot of the portal players we are taking on that side of the.ball. If we finish in the Top 12 of the SEC in defense next season it would be quite surprising.

Bdawg
12-18-2023, 01:01 AM
Well we’ve got still got another shot at this portal some time next year. Not sure about the quality of players in the spring but it seems a still long way to go before we wrap this class up. Does the portal usually produce any quality players in the spring? Seems it would have to be some players at a blue blood looking for playing time.

chef dixon
12-18-2023, 06:50 AM
He's getting guys in that seem hungry to play. Everyone knows this is a rough spot. If he can get us scrappy next year I'll be happy. At least compete well with the lesser half of our league schedule

ZedFedder
12-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Let?s also be honest with ourselves? it doesn?t help our perspective when we see what OM is doing portal wise on the defensive side.

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 08:17 AM
Let?s also be honest with ourselves? it doesn?t help our perspective when we see what OM is doing portal wise on the defensive side.

Hutzler is going to have to prove himself as a DC. Or this could be like 2009 when we fired Torbush.

Our front seven doesn't seem so bad after yesterday. Deonte Anderson and Don Terry Russell are decent players. We added some interior DL guys through the portal and we need Dinkins and Trevion to be healthy. We'll see if Hibbler can help.

And at LB we should start Lewis. I thought he had really good potential. Then we're getting Jennings from JUCO and Fat Clark as a freshman. Maybe we get a couple more JUCO's and I think JP Purvis is back. Zakari Tillman has good potential too.

It looks like we have a young group there.

Secondary worries me a bit though. We really need Khaumari Rogers to be healthy and step up. Wright from Memphis might start right away and he's only a sophomore I think. I'm not sure if Woodward can play CB or if he's a safety. I'd say CB is our biggest need right now.

Safety we have Isaac Smith and Jakobi Albert should be healthy. I know we're trying to add guys here too.

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Hutzler is going to have to prove himself as a DC. Or this could be like 2009 when we fired Torbush.

Our front seven doesn't seem so bad after yesterday. Deonte Anderson and Don Terry Russell are decent players. We added some interior DL guys through the portal and we need Dinkins and Trevion to be healthy. We'll see if Hibbler can help.

And at LB we should start Lewis. I thought he had really good potential. Then we're getting Jennings from JUCO and Fat Clark as a freshman. Maybe we get a couple more JUCO's and I think JP Purvis is back. Zakari Tillman has good potential too.

It looks like we have a young group there.

Secondary worries me a bit though. We really need Khaumari Rogers to be healthy and step up. Wright from Memphis might start right away and he's only a sophomore I think. I'm not sure if Woodward can play CB or if he's a safety. I'd say CB is our biggest need right now.

Safety we have Isaac Smith and Jakobi Albert should be healthy. I know we're trying to add guys here too.

DL:

-Kpaka Transfer from Purdue
-Jones Transfer from NC
-Williams
-Dinkins
-Russell
-Anderson
-Hibbler
-Shepard JUCO

That's a good rotation and we will get some pressure with these guys.

LB:

-Lewis came on strong towards the end of the season.
-Jennings

This is where I expect a few more transfers/Juco. We are young there.

CB:
- Rogers
- Pollock
- Wright Transfer from Memphis

We have a few others that could contribute, but we need 2 more from portal/juco

S
-Washington
-Smith
-Morant

All 4 star guys.
-Woodard #1 Juco S

So we need a few more, but what we need is that offense to produce while the Defense is put together. There will be games that we will have to score 30 plus points to stay in the game.

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 09:56 AM
DL:

-Jones Transfer from NC
-Williams
-Dinkins
-Russell
-Anderson
-Hibbler
-Shepard JUCO

LB:

-Jennings

CB:
- Rogers
- Pollock

S
-Washington
-Smith
-Morant

All 4 star guys.
-Woodard #1 Juco S

So we need a few more, but what we need is that offense to produce while the Defense is put together. There will be games that we will have to score 30 plus points to stay in the game.

You found some guys I forgot about. We do need more than what we have. But we have enough to be respectable at least IMO. Biggest issue is youth and inexperience.

I agree with your overall assessment that there are going to be times where we have to win a shootout.

Homedawg
12-18-2023, 10:37 AM

Pretty fair and accurate

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 10:58 AM
You found some guys I forgot about. We do need more than what we have. But we have enough to be respectable at least IMO. Biggest issue is youth and inexperience.

I agree with your overall assessment that there are going to be times where we have to win a shootout.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what they finish with and then how they implement the offense. So far, I like their drive.

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 11:35 AM
Update to the defense. We are set to land the #1, #4, #5 JUCO LBs.

Johnson85
12-18-2023, 11:43 AM
HS recruiting I'd give him B+. He came into a tough situation and got Van Buren and hopefully Stonka and Hill. I'd like the staff to flip an OM DL commit because some of those guys are going to be in the portal after next season.

Portal wise I'd give him a C right now. I'm not a fan of getting bodies and some of these guys are just that and won't contribute. Bright spots are of course, Shapen, Pounders and Minor, all of which are underrated in portal score. Defense has been very underwhelming thus far. Hopefully we can get the LB from Troy. I just hope our new coaches can coach up and develop our current roster quickly.

Well, we actually do need bodies, particularly on defense and OL.

Thick
12-18-2023, 11:54 AM

I like what you’re putting down right now, just hope our staff can close these guys!

Op4isabitch
12-18-2023, 11:56 AM

Can you give those names, I want to check out their info.
Thanks

NCDawg
12-18-2023, 12:24 PM
Hope our defense can put more pressure on the QB than we did last year. We gave the opposing QB too much time and our DB's weren't good enough or fast enough to cover some of the receivers.

Bdawg
12-18-2023, 12:37 PM
Hope our defense can put more pressure on the QB than we did last year. We gave the opposing QB too much time and our DB's weren't good enough or fast enough to cover some of the receivers.

We made everyone’s qb look like a first round draft pick. Except Dart but I guess he didn’t have to. Defense still wasn’t the problem in egg.

confucius say
12-18-2023, 01:05 PM
DL:

-Jones Transfer from NC
-Williams
-Dinkins
-Russell
-Anderson
-Hibbler
-Shepard JUCO

LB:

-Jennings

CB:
- Rogers
- Pollock

S
-Washington
-Smith
-Morant

All 4 star guys.
-Woodard #1 Juco S

I think you left a Russell off. Both should be back

Percho
12-18-2023, 01:09 PM
It's hard to recruit to a 5-7 dumpster fire.
And when you need to spread your 5 million over 20 guys it's difficult. He's going to be fine.

If it takes 5 mil a year to build a football team I do not think we will ever have a championship team.

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 01:26 PM
I like what you’re putting down right now, just hope our staff can close these guys!

We need them! They have to know that it's immediate PT

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 01:26 PM
I think you left a Russell off. Both should be back

That's huge!

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 01:29 PM
Can you give those names, I want to check out their info.
Thanks

Keaton Thomas
Marcus Ross

They are set to announce. We already have the #1 JUCO LB committed. Branden Jennings

BlackSailsDawg
12-18-2023, 01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/Goatinthemaking/status/1736813585127424220

RockyDog
12-18-2023, 01:48 PM
If it takes 5 mil a year to build a football team I do not think we will ever have a championship team.

We will never have a championship team unless we get demoted to the Sun Belt. But that's ok. We need to compete and at least put ourselves in a position for the 12 team playoff once a decade.

Offshore Dawg
12-18-2023, 02:04 PM

Being able to even talk about winning an offensive shootout will be a welcome change !!!!!!!!!!

Coach34
12-18-2023, 02:11 PM
We will never have a championship team unless we get demoted to the Sun Belt. But that's ok. We need to compete and at least put ourselves in a position for the 12 team playoff once a decade.

Exactly. All 5MM does right now is make you competitive

basedog
12-18-2023, 02:46 PM
As far as grades and the roster. Too early, I imagine after spring practice we may see some going and some coming.
Lebby has done pretty good so far on paper. I'm amazed how bad our staff was last year in so many areas. Lack of leadership was a problem, it starts with coaches.

confucius say
12-18-2023, 02:51 PM

It takes a lot more than 5 million to be a championship team.

We have 5 million. But no need in overpaying for guys. We aren't attractive the type of big money guys right now.

Op4isabitch
12-18-2023, 03:03 PM
I see in addition to the #1 JUCO LB we also just had a commitment from the #1 JUCO safety.

Pretty good work for a staff that?s been together for a few weeks.

basedog
12-18-2023, 03:10 PM
I see in addition to the #1 JUCO LB we also just had a commitment from the #1 JUCO safety.

Pretty good work for a staff that?s been together for a few weeks.

No doubt.

Bothrops
12-18-2023, 04:20 PM
Well, we actually do need bodies, particularly on defense and OL.

You mean to make the 85, agreed.