PDA

View Full Version : Barbary to Houston as OC

Coach34
12-17-2023, 05:28 PM
https://twitter.com/chris_hummer/status/1736487078030946767?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

I bet he does well. Came into a bad situation here

bulldawg28
12-17-2023, 05:54 PM
Good for him.

Dogbone
12-17-2023, 06:35 PM
https://twitter.com/chris_hummer/status/1736487078030946767?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

I bet he does well. Came into a bad situation here

LOL, maybe he gets you on as the warterboy.

Coach34
12-17-2023, 06:45 PM
That'd be swell Lumpy

confucius say
12-17-2023, 07:09 PM
Good for him. Seems like a good guy.
Could be good in time with the right situation and growth

Leroy Jenkins
12-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Super nice guy. I don't feel like he really had a chance with the situation he came into. The position coaches didn't even know the offense when he started.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-17-2023, 08:06 PM
Yep he's a good guy. Wish him the best. He got thrown into a bad situation and was totally hamstringed by Arnett. I hope he does well at Houston.

msudawg1200
12-17-2023, 09:20 PM
I don't care where he is as long as it's not here. Was not impressed wi him or his system at all.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 09:30 PM
They have running up the middle on third and ten and long ass developing jet sweeps to look forward to.

Not having Will Friend and Mike Schmidt to coach the o-line is probably going to be helpful though.

chef dixon
12-17-2023, 09:33 PM
So if we hired Fritzy we would have retained?

Goldendawg
12-17-2023, 09:35 PM
I hope there was some offset language in the second year of his contract with us for his getting a new job. That would save us some money.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 09:36 PM
So if we hired Fritzy we would have retained?

It's scary to think about. Fritz has had offenses that run about 60% of the time or more during his career and Tulane's offense was similar to ours scheme wise. So maybe.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 09:37 PM
I hope there was some offset language in the second year of his contract with us for his getting a new job. That would save us some money.

We definitely overpaid for him especially given his resume.

Homedawg
12-17-2023, 09:50 PM
Good for him. Seems like a good guy.
Could be good in time with the right situation and growth

He is a good guy. Hope he does well

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 12:34 AM
He is a good guy. Hope he does well

Do you think some of the other assistants walked all over him?

Sometimes that happens with nice people.

ZedFedder
12-18-2023, 09:21 AM
It?s obvious based off past success that the guy is a better OC than what he showed here. I also wonder if Arnett messed him up? Also, Mike Wright?s absolute inability to pass at all hampered it big time.

CoachT14
12-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Good luck to him. Hopefully he improves. It's pretty obvious he wasn't ready to be a sole OC without the HC to hold the bike steady. We shall see if that trend continues since Fritz is a defensive guy.

Churchill
12-18-2023, 09:33 AM
It?s obvious based off past success that the guy is a better OC than what he showed here. I also wonder if Arnett messed him up? Also, Mike Wright?s absolute inability to pass at all hampered it big time.

No one thought Rogers would be as bad as he was in this offense. We all knew he had his limitations but not to the degree he displayed. Barbay has a good future as an OC but nobody will ever make Rogers a good RPO QB.

Coach34
12-18-2023, 09:40 AM
No one thought Rogers would be as bad as he was in this offense. We all knew he had his limitations but not to the degree he displayed. Barbay has a good future as an OC but nobody will ever make Rogers a good RPO QB.

I think the next couple of years show the problem was more us than it was Barbay. Certain people didnt buy in to the offense- then Rogers got hurt- and by the end it was just riding it out to the finish.

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 09:52 AM

If you do a deep dive you would see that Barbay has been under offensive minded coaches who had been OC's in the past. This year was the first time he has called an offense at this level with little oversight. There were rumors about App State's coach meddling with the play calling because of some of the same complaints our fans had about Barbay.

Also App State's numbers were a bit wonky. They played two FCS teams and they had a game where they scored 61 points which was an outlier.

There were some red flags and honestly he was worse than I expected. We all know about Will and how much worse he looked in this offense. Mike Wright was also better at Vanderbilt and was serviceable at times there- good enough to beat some people like Kentucky.

ZedFedder
12-18-2023, 09:59 AM
If you do a deep dive you would see that Barbay has been under offensive minded coaches who had been OC's in the past. This year was the first time he has called an offense at this level with little oversight. There were rumors about App State's coach meddling with the play calling because of some of the same complaints our fans had about Barbay.

Also App State's numbers were a bit wonky. They played two FCS teams and they had a game where they scored 61 points which was an outlier.

There were some red flags and honestly he was worse than I expected. We all know about Will and how much worse he looked in this offense. Mike Wright was also better at Vanderbilt and was serviceable at times there- good enough to beat some people like Kentucky.

That?s a fair assessment. It?ll be interesting to see how Houston looks.

I think Will is very limited, but Kalen DeBoer is no dummy. The fact he would take him is interesting.

CoachT14
12-18-2023, 10:06 AM
Also what will be interesting is that Barbay will be taking over an AR team again. It isn't as drastic as with Leach at Houston because Holgerson had modified it a lot, but still interesting nonetheless.