PDA

View Full Version : Malzahn just got PAID!

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Barrett Sallee ‏@BarrettSallee 2m
Auburn announces HC Gus Malzahn has agreed to 6-year extension worth $3.85 million next year w/ a $250,000 increase for each subsequent year

Is Malzahn worth this, and why did Auburn feel the need to pay him this much, this soon?

I mean he'll be making over 5 Mil by year 6 ....

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Maybe the Texas rumors were true

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Man, this looks like a panic move out of Auburn. Not saying it isn't a good panic move, but man that is a lot of money for a guy that's just been there one year.

I don't like giving coaches huge contracts after their first year because other teams haven't had a chance to adjust to what they do yet. Just like we saw with Freeze this year, SEC D-coordinators will figure you out. There is no perfect offense.

I prefer to see how coaches do after their second year before shelling out enormous amounts of money.

I want Malzahn's agent to be my agent. Malzahn now makes more than Spurrier

Dawg61
12-06-2013, 09:09 PM
It doesn't matter what Spurrier makes in the state of Alabama. It matters what Saban makes. Auburn is forced to try to keep up with Bama salaries.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 09:14 PM
It doesn't matter what Spurrier makes in the state of Alabama. It matters what Saban makes. Auburn is forced to try to keep up with Bama salaries.

I agree.

I think Malzahn is a really good football coach, but his offense is a little gimmicky. If some d-coordinator figures it out, Auburn could be in trouble.

Here's to hoping all this leads to is a massive buyout in 2 or 3 years!

missouridawg
12-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Auburn just got Sexton'ed...

Remember that "Gus' dream job has always been Texas..." comment? That was excellent work by the agent.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Malzahn won them a NC in 2010- he has proven his worth

It's not a coincidence that it all fell apart when he left

Statecoachingblows**
12-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Isn't his only head coaching experience the one year at Arky jr before getting the Auburn gig? If they were destroying teams maybe (BIG MAYBE) but they have had a lot of luck on their side this year. Wow. What do their asst. coaches make????

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Malzahn was a big part, but if Auburn doesn't have 2 miracles this year or any injuries, we probably aren't talking about this type of raise and extension.

I think Malzahn is a good football coach, but I think this is a massive overpay for a guy that hasn't proven himself to be an elite head coach.

If he did something similar next year, I would be all in, but not after one year.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Isn't his only head coaching experience the one year at Arky jr before getting the Auburn gig?

Have ya'll forgotten he was the OC at Auburn for 3 years previously?

Statecoachingblows**
12-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Was him taking the ASU job for a year part of the plan? Hmmmmm

Coach34
12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Malzahn was a big part, but if Auburn doesn't have 2 miracles this year or any injuries, we probably aren't talking about this type of raise and extension.

I think Malzahn is a good football coach, but I think this is a massive overpay for a guy that hasn't proven himself to be an elite head coach.

He's helped them win a NC, and now he has won the West- pay the man. He is still 4th or 5th in the West in salary- it's not like he has been vaulted to the top

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 09:49 PM
damn, that's so crazy. Miracle against Bama, miracle against UGA, and could have definitely lost to MSU.

Could easily be 8-4 and headed to the Gator Bowl. Instead, he is going to be one of the top paid coaches in the country.

Statecoachingblows**
12-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I really don't give a damn what he makes. I just hope like hell for out sake they are a one year wonder!

Coach34
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
damn, that's so crazy. Miracle against Bama, miracle against UGA, and could have definitely lost to MSU.

Could easily be 8-4 and headed to the Gator Bowl. Instead, he is going to be one of the top paid coaches in the country.

and still no better than 4th in the West

Dawg61
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Malzahn just runs to the wide side of the field 75% of the time. I think it'll take just this offseason before the entire SEC figures it out. Marshall is an awful passer. Force him to throw it by taking away the wide side runs and just hope you don't give up TDs during the other 25% of his play calls. His offense is a total gimmick that only eats when you can't line up correctly because they snap it faster than you'd blow your wad with Kate Upton.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
and still no better than 4th in the West

The West is BRUTAL.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Hell, by next year, Mullen will be 12 or 13th in the SEC money-wise

bluelightstar
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Have ya'll forgotten he was the OC at Auburn for 3 years previously?

Their offense was good in Year 1 with him as OC, then it was better with Cam. Their offense was terrible the year Malzahn was there as OC post-Cam. I mean, pathetically bad. Auburn had tremendous luck this year and Malzahn is not worth $5m yet.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Their offense was good in Year 1 with him as OC, then it was better with Cam. Their offense was terrible the year Malzahn was there as OC post-Cam. I mean, pathetically bad. Auburn had tremendous luck this year and Malzahn is not worth $5m yet.

Yeah, you look at their offense this year. They have a really good O-line and then 3 legit speed threats. Mason, Marshall, and Coates are all home run threats from different positions. Malzahn is an excellent play-caller though. He seems to have a feel for when to run that wheel route, or screen, or option. He dials up the right play more often than not.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM

This is not Year 1 for Gus- he has coached their offense 4 of the last 5 years- damn near everybody he had on offense- he recruited

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Not arguing that he isn't a good coach. Just saying that I don't believe he has proven himself enough as a HEAD COACH to demand this type of money.

Thick
12-06-2013, 10:21 PM
We'll see how he does in year 2 with a tougher schedule, and if the last minute miracles are still part of their success. They will have to beat us at home, along with OM & Bama off the top of my head. I have no idea what GA will have, but that one is in Athens as well. Stop the run....period, and your chances of winning grow to 50% or better.

I think he's a good coach, and he has some good assistants. I just think he got damn lucky 3x this year against teams that in those situations any team would normally lose to. Plus, I hate them!

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Plus, I hate them!

Ditto

Coach34
12-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Not arguing that he isn't a good coach. Just saying that I don't believe he has proven himself enough as a HEAD COACH to demand this type of money.

Why the thread about Malzahn when he has led them to a title and then back to the SEC title as the HC? Where was the surprise about Sumlin getting 5MM when he has finished 3rd and 4th in the SEC West?

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Why the thread about Malzahn when he has led them to a title and then back to the SEC title as the HC? Where was the surprise about Sumlin getting 5MM when he has finished 3rd and 4th in the SEC West?

Perhaps there should have been.

I look at Sumlin as a more experienced head coach though, that has won for years at two different schools, but maybe there should have been more surprise about Sumlin

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I agree.

I think Malzahn is a really good football coach, but his offense is a little gimmicky. If some d-coordinator figures it out, Auburn could be in trouble.

Here's to hoping all this leads to is a massive buyout in 2 or 3 years!

You are smoking crack. People have been saying this ever since Malzahn came into the SEC and no one has figured it out yet. Wanna know why? It's not a ****ing gimmick. It's power ****ing football. They line up and run right the hell at people with both speed & power RBs and have TEs and a FB that will knock the shit out of you blocking. Add in a QB that can throw or at least hit the occasional downfield pass to keep the DBs from creeping up and they are as good as they come. It just "looks" gimmicky to people because they're running it out of the Pistol and for whatever dumbass reason, some Southerners can't accept that an offense that doesn't have the QB under center isn't a gimmick.

If you want a gimmick offense, look no further than Freezus in Oxford.

bluelightstar
12-06-2013, 11:09 PM
You are smoking crack. People have been saying this ever since Malzahn came into the SEC and no one has figured it out yet. Wanna know why? It's not a ****ing gimmick. It's power ****ing football. They line up and run right the hell at people with both speed & power RBs and have TEs and a FB that will knock the shit out of you blocking. Add in a QB that can throw or at least hit the occasional downfield pass to keep the DBs from creeping up and they are as good as they come. It just "looks" gimmicky to people because they're running it out of the Pistol and for whatever dumbass reason, some Southerners can't accept that an offense that doesn't have the QB under center isn't a gimmick.

+1

Coach34
12-06-2013, 11:11 PM

Good post. Cam Newton pounding people was nothing remotely gimmicky.

Auburn and us run alot of the same shit- but Malzahn uses more FB and ran some triple option this year- whereas we havent since Ralph.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Good post. Cam Newton pounding people was nothing remotely gimmicky.

Auburn and us run alot of the same shit- but Malzahn uses more FB and ran some triple option this year- whereas we havent since Ralph.

Exactly. But I look for some of that to return now that we have Dak at QB and all dual threat QBs behind him. I really want to see us move 7 to FB in the spring. If you think Malzahn's offense is a gimmick, then you have to think ours is a gimmick.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 11:22 PM

You sold me. Good post

Would still like to Malzahn do it for one more year before paying though

engie
12-06-2013, 11:53 PM
You sold me. Good post

Would still like to Malzahn do it for one more year before paying though

Is Ellis Johnson proven enough?

Malzahn has had 7 offenses he's been in control of now -- and 6 have finished in the top 25 in total O. That's #1, #1, #16, #7, #23, and #15. Nationally. That's pretty dang proven at this point...

He was always going to be the next big thing IMO. Ever since he took Chris frigging Todd and turned him into a very good SEC qb that finished in the top 20 in total o, I've been sold. I thought Tulsa could have been a fluke...but the immediate turn around at Auburn sold me. Thought we dodged a bullet the day Freeze was hired over him in Oxford.

Dawg61
12-07-2013, 12:10 AM
You're completely missing what the gimmick is with his offense. It's to snap the ball so fast that the defense doesn't have the chance to sub, get lined up correctly and call new defensive plays. The "NASCAR" offense is the gimmick not so much the specific plays being run. Oregon and Baylor run the same gimmick. It's life is limited in college football imo. Either the NCAA will change the clock rules or every defense will start faking injuries on every other play or something else but the Sabans of the coaching world will eventually get it out of football.

Pollodawg
12-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Is Ellis Johnson proven enough?

Malzahn has had 7 offenses he's been in control of now -- and 6 have finished in the top 25 in total O. That's #1, #1, #16, #7, #23, and #15. Nationally. That's pretty dang proven at this point...

He was always going to be the next big thing IMO. Ever since he took Chris frigging Todd and turned him into a very good SEC qb that finished in the top 20 in total o, I've been sold. I thought Tulsa could have been a fluke...but the immediate turn around at Auburn sold me. Thought we dodged a bullet the day Freeze was hired over him in Oxford.

Oh, hell yeah. Could you imagine facing that every year as our arch rival? Hell, it's bad enough he's at Auburn. That fan base is obnoxious enough as it is.

SPMT
12-07-2013, 12:23 AM

Truth. It's all about the players. He IS smart enough to use what he has to his advantage, i.e. not force Marshall to drop back pass, etc. He basically ran option football with Marshall and threw when he could catch you off guard. Similar gross strategy to GA Tech.

SPMT
12-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Truth too. He uses what he has much better than Mullen. He's not as hard headed and much more apt to run power football with multiple runners, not just the QB. That is the difference to me. But he's not infallible. It's just like every other team, without good talent he won't be good. He blew in 2011.

engie
12-07-2013, 12:33 AM
You're completely missing what the gimmick is with his offense. It's to snap the ball so fast that the defense doesn't have the chance to sub, get lined up correctly and call new defensive plays. The "NASCAR" offense is the gimmick not so much the specific plays being run. Oregon and Baylor run the same gimmick. It's life is limited in college football imo. Either the NCAA will change the clock rules or every defense will start faking injuries on every other play or something else but the Sabans of the coaching world will eventually get it out of football.

They will never legislate it out. Teams will begin to do what you are seeing us try to do. Get hybrid players to "confuse" an offense trying to confuse you with guys that play multiple positions.

Wanna know how to slow it down quick as hell? Stop it a few times and pound it, wearing out their defense...

engie
12-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Truth too. He uses what he has much better than Mullen. He's not as hard headed and much more apt to run power football with multiple runners, not just the QB. That is the difference to me. But he's not infallible. It's just like every other team, without good talent he won't be good. He blew in 2011.

The year he still dropped 40 on us?

Yeah -- they struggled at the end of that season when they lost a couple QBs for the year and really didn't have anyone left that fit his system.

He also had a power struggle going on with Chizik similar to the one he had with Nutt. Chizik f'n with the offense and wanting to run pro-style was the primary reason he took a MAJOR pay cut for the first ship out of town. You think -- out of 7 offenses -- that he suddenly just totally sucked one time -- only to magically fix it immediately when he got back -- with the same team and players?

Dawg61
12-07-2013, 12:55 AM
We'll see. We already saw coaches fighting about it in the last SEC media day. I'd like it to get snuffed out because the defensive's adapted and stopped it on the field but with all the recent emphasis on player safety I think it is this that will end up being the end to the NASCAR offense. As bullshit of an excuse as that is it's an excuse that football has no argument against. Imagine a game that gets delayed 30+ times because the defense keeps faking injuries. That is a nightmare the NCAA can't let happen and we are already seeing injuries being faked right now. Hell Mullen did it vs Freeze a few times. The refs can't throw flags for faking injuries because what if the player truly is injured. It's a problem.

SPMT
12-07-2013, 01:22 AM
The year he still dropped 40 on us?

Yeah -- they struggled at the end of that season when they lost a couple QBs for the year and really didn't have anyone left that fit his system.

He also had a power struggle going on with Chizik similar to the one he had with Nutt. Chizik f'n with the offense and wanting to run pro-style was the primary reason he took a MAJOR pay cut for the first ship out of town. You think -- out of 7 offenses -- that he suddenly just totally sucked one time -- only to magically fix it immediately when he got back -- with the same team and players?

Southern Miss could've dropped 40 on us that year. He has different players than he had that year. I think players make 85% of the diffidence.

engie
12-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Southern Miss could've dropped 40 on us that year. He has different players than he had that year. I think players make 85% of the diffidence.

The same year we finished with the highest-ranked MSU scoring defense since 1999?

He doesn't have different players. He has a whole bunch of the same players.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2013, 08:38 AM
We'll see. We already saw coaches fighting about it in the last SEC media day. I'd like it to get snuffed out because the defensive's adapted and stopped it on the field but with all the recent emphasis on player safety I think it is this that will end up being the end to the NASCAR offense. As bullshit of an excuse as that is it's an excuse that football has no argument against. Imagine a game that gets delayed 30+ times because the defense keeps faking injuries. That is a nightmare the NCAA can't let happen and we are already seeing injuries being faked right now. Hell Mullen did it vs Freeze a few times. The refs can't throw flags for faking injuries because what if the player truly is injured. It's a problem.

My problem with the hurry up offense isn't the safety issues it presents, but rather that the officials really struggle to properly officiate the game when it is being run.

During the Egg Bowl alone, I saw plays being run before the chains were close to being set, I saw plays being run with the officials backs to the line scrimmage while trying to get in position, and I saw two non-turnovers that should have been reviewed and called a turnover.

The officials really suck at doing their jobs when the hurry up is run. This is my problem with it.

Will James
12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Look people, the Moneyball mentality only applies to the teams "without". We can stop with the nonsense about him being worth yada yada yada (Shotgun) because the revenues that his offense and now his overall head coaching have generate are monumental to a salary.

I would suggest that ANY coach at an Auburn caliber program should make that much based on principle. That you get to pay the GusBus that, especially after a championship and now this run, is a bargain.

RougeDawg
12-07-2013, 10:35 AM

This all day. Gus was the reason Cheesedick even has a national championship. Gene is a horrible coach without Gus and his record speaks for itself. This brings up another thread of "who is the worst coach to ever win a national championship?"
I believe gene takes the cake but I am young so there may be other candidates.

DownwardDawg
12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
They will never legislate it out. Teams will begin to do what you are seeing us try to do. Get hybrid players to "confuse" an offense trying to confuse you with guys that play multiple positions.

Wanna know how to slow it down quick as hell? Stop it a few times and pound it, wearing out their defense...

I think they will, and soon. When you have Chief Neurologists speaking out against it to the NCAA which has already happened, it's on it's way out. We live in a society that when you mention the "S" word, SAFETY, the argument is over. The Neurologist I saw on TV made so many valid points that it would be very hard to argue against it.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Look people, the Moneyball mentality only applies to the teams "without". We can stop with the nonsense about him being worth yada yada yada (Shotgun) because the revenues that his offense and now his overall head coaching have generate are monumental to a salary.

I would suggest that ANY coach at an Auburn caliber program should make that much based on principle. That you get to pay the GusBus that, especially after a championship and now this run, is a bargain.

Fair points.

It's kinda like the Yankees overpaying for a player. They could care less if Jacoby Ellsbury is really worth 22 Mil per year, because that money is a drop in the bucket for them.

The rich teams can afford to make mistakes.