12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
https://x.com/PeteNakos_/status/1736210444765855952?s=20

BlackSailsDawg
12-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Big time portal pick up. Back where he should've been in the first place

Yes it is!!

KOdawg1
12-16-2023, 09:47 PM
LT: Pounders, LG: Percy Lewis, C: Miner, RG: Albert Reese/Portal, RT: Leon Bell/Portal

Marlon Martinez is an LSU transfer who played a good bit for them the last several years. He could factor in at one of the guard spots.

OL is definitely a strength

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 09:49 PM
LT: Pounders, LG: Percy Lewis, C: Miner, RG: Albert Reese/Portal, RT: Leon Bell/Portal

Marlon Martinez is an LSU transfer who played a good bit for them the last several years. He could factor in at one of the guard spots.

Has Lewis ever played guard? Seems he would move to RT. Bell didn't play this season did he? We don't know if he can play. Reese hasn't played a ton.

KOdawg1
12-16-2023, 09:55 PM
Has Lewis ever played guard? Seems he would move to RT. Bell didn't play this season did he? We don't know if he can play. Reese hasn't played a ton.

Talk is that he's making the move to guard.

Bell played in 3 games.

Reese played at both RG and RT this year and looked better at guard

BankerDog
12-16-2023, 09:56 PM

The transition from tackle to guard isn?t hard. Percy is more of a guard than tackle. Bell should?ve played over both Lewis/Dolla Bill this past year.

msstate7
12-16-2023, 10:03 PM
Really like hitting the oline. Where do we turn our attention to in the portal now?

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 10:05 PM
Really like hitting the oline. Where do we turn our attention to in the portal now?

Still need a lot of help. Need another guard. Need a legit TE. Need a couple of receivers. Then need absolutely everything on defense.

KOdawg1
12-16-2023, 10:12 PM

Literally anyone with a pulse on defense

msstate7
12-16-2023, 10:16 PM
Still need a lot of help. Need another guard. Need a legit TE. Need a couple of receivers. Then need absolutely everything on defense.
Since we will most likely struggle next year anyway, should we throw money at HS guys? My reasoning is it's supposedly cheaper to hold guys than pull em.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 10:18 PM
Since we will most likely struggle next year anyway, should we throw money at HS guys? My reasoning is it's supposedly cheaper to hold guys than pull em.

Signing day is Wednesday. It's basically too late. But yeah, if there are any close calls.

MaroonFlounder
12-16-2023, 10:20 PM

Compared to other SEC teams, not really.

KOdawg1
12-16-2023, 10:26 PM
Compared to other SEC teams, not really.

Can't control what the rest of the SEC does. For us, it's looking like it'll be a strength. Oklahoma lost their entire OL. Other teams are rebuilding too. Point is, we don't know.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 10:35 PM
Literally anyone with a pulse on defense

If Dinkins and Williams are back then we will be ok on the line, probably need some depth guys. Might need another LB, and definitely need some help in the secondary.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 10:37 PM

I think struggle is a matter of perspective. Are we going to win 10? No. But can we win 6-8? I believe we can

msstate7
12-16-2023, 10:39 PM
I think struggle is a matter of perspective. Are we going to win 10? No. But can we win 6-8? I believe we can

6 wins will be a good job imo

Bdawg
12-16-2023, 10:58 PM

Defense defense defense!! Especially DL imo

Bdawg
12-16-2023, 11:00 PM
If Dinkins and Williams are back then we will be ok on the line, probably need some depth guys. Might need another LB, and definitely need some help in the secondary.

We going 4 man front? If so, better get some DL!

preachermatt83
12-16-2023, 11:01 PM

Correct

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 11:03 PM
The transition from tackle to guard isn?t hard. Percy is more of a guard than tackle. Bell should?ve played over both Lewis/Dolla Bill this past year.

I agree.

Also agree.

Signing day is Wednesday. It's basically too late. But yeah, if there are any close calls.

A lot of fans forget that there is still the traditional NSD in February. We still have plenty of time to fill spots.

I think we should aim to compete as best as we can. Still plenty of time to fill holes. I still believe that high school guys are going to be the core group of any of our team ultimately in that most of our players are going to be guys we recruit and develop. But at the same time we should still use the portal and JUCO to fill holes.

I'm holding back predictions until I see how we do in the portal. We certainly need a lot - but we also have time to get it. Our coaching and S&C were pretty bad last year. I think retooling both could make a huge impact for us.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 11:03 PM
We going 4 man front? If so, better get some DL!

Dinkins, Williams, Deonte, and Donterry is a good 4 to start with. We obviously need more, but to act like we are devoid of talent is a bit of an overreaction as well. Trevion is the closest thing we have had/will have to Big Jeff for a long while from a physical standpoint

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 11:06 PM
I agree.

Also agree.

A lot of fans forget that there is still the traditional NSD in February. We still have plenty of time to fill spots.

I think we should aim to compete as best as we can. Still plenty of time to fill holes. I still believe that high school guys are going to be the core group of any of our team ultimately in that most of our players are going to be guys we recruit and develop. But at the same time we should still use the portal and JUCO to fill holes.

I'm holding back predictions until I see how we do in the portal. We certainly need a lot - but we also have time to get it. Our coaching and S&C were pretty bad last year. I think retooling both could make a huge impact for us.

That was due to Arnett. He cut Tyson Brown’s legs out from under him the day he took over.

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 11:09 PM
That was due to Arnett. He cut Tyson Brown’s legs out from under him the day he took over.

That's what I heard as well. Plus he was never an issue under Leach.

Bdawg
12-16-2023, 11:09 PM
Dinkins, Williams, Deonte, and Donterry is a good 4 to start with. We obviously need more, but to act like we are devoid of talent is a bit of an overreaction as well. Trevion is the closest thing we have had/will have to Big Jeff for a long while from a physical standpoint

Not saying devoid but far from stacked. Counting a 2 deep plus future injuries, we better get some more that can hopefully make an impact.

Bothrops
12-17-2023, 12:26 AM
We need DL guys, especially edge guys. Like 3 of them and two of those need to be expected to win starting jobs. We need a couple of CBs. We need a Safety. We need a couple linebackers with a lot of experience.

We need an accomplished WR and another OT.

MrCoachKlein
12-17-2023, 01:09 AM
Defense defense defense!! Especially DL imo

We definitely could use a playmaker, but I think we just need some bodies. DL was ravaged by injuries this yr

HancockCountyDog
12-17-2023, 01:27 AM
Big pickup. We need more but he and Miner are great starts.

confucius say
12-17-2023, 08:14 AM
If he's willing, I'd have him tell his story and publish an article on Hailstate.com of what lane did to him the day before signing day and I'd send a copy to every instate freshman-junior in the state being recruited.

ZedFedder
12-17-2023, 09:01 AM
If he's willing, I'd have him tell his story and publish an article on Hailstate.com of what lane did to him the day before signing day and I'd send a copy to every instate freshman-junior in the state being recruited.

You can?t publish something like that but you can sure share it behind closed doors.

bulldawg28
12-17-2023, 09:01 AM
We need DL guys, especially edge guys. Like 3 of them and two of those need to be expected to win starting jobs. We need a couple of CBs. We need a Safety. We need a couple linebackers with a lot of experience.

We need an accomplished WR and another OT.

We have edge guys on the roster now. WR's just need reps and opportunities.

confucius say
12-17-2023, 09:43 AM
You can?t publish something like that but you can sure share it behind closed doors.

Why can you not publish it? Feel good story. Kid was committed here, flipped to OM days before signing day with an offer, offer was pulled morning of signing day and nobody would return his calls. Get a quote from his HS coach. Kid makes the best of it and goes to Memphis and excels and now local kid returns home. Basically a hallmark movie.

Bdawg
12-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Why can you not publish it? Feel good story. Kid was committed here, flipped to OM days before signing day with an offer, offer was pulled morning of signing day and nobody would return his calls. Get a quote from his HS coach. Kid makes the best of it and goes to Memphis and excels and now local kid returns home. Basically a hallmark movie.

Love it. How much bad pub do you think we would have gotten if we had done that?

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 02:35 PM
Love it. How much bad pub do you think we would have gotten if we had done that?

Probably a front page article on the sports section in the Clarion-Ledger.

Flipping guys just to say we flipped them is probably never going to be our M.O. And I'm fine with that- it's a waste of time IMO.

Not sure how much of it is on the Ole Miss coaching staff- it seemed to be worse when Nutt and Freeze were coaching them- and how much is on the player's "handlers".

confucius say
12-17-2023, 08:23 PM

We would have gotten roasted by the national and state media. Even our own fans.

Lane is a good coach but a trash human who has ruined every relationship he's ever had because he's a narcissist. That's just who he is. Very good coach though.

confucius say
12-17-2023, 08:24 PM
Probably a front page article on the sports section in the Clarion-Ledger.

Flipping guys just to say we flipped them is probably never going to be our M.O. And I'm fine with that- it's a waste of time IMO.

Not sure how much of it is on the Ole Miss coaching staff- it seemed to be worse when Nutt and Freeze were coaching them- and how much is on the player's "handlers".

It was part of the Orgeron manual that freeze took. True story.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 10:44 PM
It was part of the Orgeron manual that freeze took. True story.

I believe it. "Win the press conference".

TheLostDawg
12-17-2023, 11:13 PM
We would have gotten roasted by the national and state media. Even our own fans.

Lane is a good coach but a trash human who has ruined every relationship he's ever had because he's a narcissist. That's just who he is. Very good coach though.

Mullen did withdraw a commits offer and we did get roasted by the national and local media

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 12:32 AM
Mullen did withdraw a commits offer and we did get roasted by the national and local media

Yeah. That was BS. Especially considering Dan helped the player find a landing spot basically immediately after we pulled his offer.

CoachT14
12-18-2023, 08:07 AM

OL - Need 1 more.
WR - 1 more Outside Receiver and probably a depth piece.
DL - We truly need 2-3 more that are plus players, but DT seems to be happy and content with the dudes from last year and just adding depth pieces (gross).
LB - 1-2 depending on those juco guys
CB - 1-2 more
S - 1-2 more

So all in all, 9-10 more players. I imagine we a young, multi year QB as well.

RezDog7
12-18-2023, 11:15 AM

This just goes to show, never judge a book by its cover. Looking at Leach and Arnett side by side, you would assume Arnett would be all over S&C.

confucius say
12-18-2023, 01:17 PM
Leach preached toughness.
Arnett coddled guys.

Bothrops
12-18-2023, 04:59 PM
We have edge guys on the roster now. WR's just need reps and opportunities.

Not...not really

Bdawg
12-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Leach preached toughness.
Arnett coddled guys.

Just so hard to believe Arnett would do such a thing. Never seen a mentally flip so drastic

Todd4State
12-19-2023, 05:43 AM
Just so hard to believe Arnett would do such a thing. Never seen a mentally flip so drastic

If someone is in over their head and not ready for a big job it's not surprising. I think Arnett questioned and second guessed himself a lot this season. That happens to people that aren't ready.

You could see it and hear it in his reactions to reporters when they would ask him about not going for it on fourth down.

confucius say
12-19-2023, 07:45 AM
If someone is in over their head and not ready for a big job it's not surprising. I think Arnett questioned and second guessed himself a lot this season. That happens to people that aren't ready.

You could see it and hear it in his reactions to reporters when they would ask him about not going for it on fourth down.

Yep