PDA

View Full Version : What a fun great game N Dakota St vs Montana

basedog
12-16-2023, 07:46 PM
One of the best college games I watched all year!

Btw; I would look at NDS QB if he has eligibility, dude can play!

Commercecomet24
12-17-2023, 11:51 AM
I love watching d2 games! They're what college football is supposed to be. Student athletes that play hard and just love the game. Most are extremely disciplined and well coached too!

Quaoarsking
12-17-2023, 12:22 PM
And the best part of FCS (not D2) football is that instead of playing some meaningless "bowl games" weeks after the season that no one cares about, they have a 24-team playoff instead that provides them with a bunch of great games that matter and full rosters facing off, played in December without a long layoff.

Imagine how amazing the FBS season could be with the same format!

AROB44
12-17-2023, 01:39 PM
And the best part of FCS (not D2) football is that instead of playing some meaningless "bowl games" weeks after the season that no one cares about, they have a 24-team playoff instead that provides them with a bunch of great games that matter and full rosters facing off, played in December without a long layoff.

Div II and Div III have similar, if not identical, playoff formats. Never understood why Div I can't do the same using the bowls as venues.

Quaoarsking
12-17-2023, 01:54 PM
Div II and Div III have similar, if not identical, playoff formats. Never understood why Div I can't do the same using the bowls as venues.

Even better would be just using home sites rather than bowls because:
It rewards teams for having a better regular season, like a 12-0 team getting to host a 10-2 team as its earned advantage better regular season instead of just equating them on a neutral field.
It's hard to ask fanbases to travel multiple times across the country on a very short notice, so a 24-team model with all neutral sites isn't likely to have full crowds
Home sites have much better environments than neutral venues anyway even when they're full.
Bowl games are corrupt organizations that leech money away from taxpayer institutions and deserve to all die out.

Commercecomet24
12-17-2023, 04:31 PM

I know it's not d2 but I'm old and I remember when it was just 1 and 2 so I'll call it d2 and it's ok

Quaoarsking
12-17-2023, 05:06 PM
I know it's not d2 but I'm old and I remember when it was just 1 and 2 so I'll call it d2 and it's ok

There was only "just 1 and 2" from 1973 to 1977. The FBS/FCS (then called I-A and I-AA) started in 1978. Until 1972, it was University and College divisions.

AROB44
12-17-2023, 06:46 PM

Well....it's pretty obvious that I'm old too. Just ask basedog, CC24.

State82
12-17-2023, 06:49 PM

Absolutely ok. We know to which you were referring.

Todd4State
12-18-2023, 12:53 AM

My solution would be to have the top 16 teams in the playoffs.

Have the playoffs at an on campus site for the higher seed. Until you get to the championship. Then rotate that between New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, and Dallas.

Teams that don't make the playoffs go to bowl games. Would I watch an 8-4 MSU team play an 8-4 Illinois team in the Sugar Bowl on January 1? You bet I would.

I think there is a place for the bowls and the playoffs in the college football world. Sure, fans want to watch a championship with a clear and defined National Champion. But I also love watching the Pineapple Bowl in Hawaii every Christmas eve with two random West Coast teams playing each other in a good game. Or teams like Jacksonville State winning their first bowl game in forever like yesterday in the New Orleans Bowl.

Now if MSU was in a playoff situation I would much rather it be in Starkville if we earned the right to host the game as opposed to some random neutral site. Let's say we make a miracle run and have a dream season- after I spend a ton of money on the regular season me going to say Orlando, then Dallas, then New Orleans, and then Las Vegas basically in four consecutive weeks while also buying Christmas presents and paying off my BC dues? OUCH! Look away Dave Ramsey.

We really would have fans selling their houses to try to make that work.

Me going to Starkville for a playoff game or two? And then maybe Tuscaloosa or heck even Ann Arbor? I could make that work.